Katherine Weathers- hearing officer?

gobillsgo

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pestello could be the most disconnected leader of an organization in town. The compounding of stupidity continues. The chairman and the rest of the board are the biggest problem. They haven't been given enough of the blame. They allow these dummies to stay running the university and athletics. The majority of the slu board needs to be removed before real change happens. Unless you want more of the same. Systemically slu is a disaster. What's going on at the med school could potentially make this situation look like a bump in the road. Ridiculous. 

6 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Stop acting like a prick!

Lollll. Good morning to you too. Egregious stuff transpiring no doubt. I’m on everyone’s side here, does that really need to be stated? Not talking myself into SLU flipping this on appeal, is all. Why anyone would trust our alma mater to do anything right at this point is beyond me. Just hope the “woken beast, top 5” donors someone mentioned are bringing more to the table than the info in this thread 

3 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Lollll. Good morning to you too. Egregious stuff transpiring no doubt. I’m on everyone’s side here, does that really need to be stated? Not talking myself into SLU flipping this on appeal, is all. Why anyone would trust our alma mater to do anything right at this point is beyond me. Just hope the “woken beast, top 5” donors someone mentioned are bringing more to the table than the info in this thread 

This is where I'm at 

4 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Then stop attacking people and you won’t be called a prick....pretty simple 

1 minute ago, keyser soze said:

For the parents of young men..

if your son gets a bad grade from a female teacher, Immediately file a Title 9 complaint.

if your son is embarrassed by a girl when he asks for her number, immediately file a Title 9 complaint..

eye for an eye

On paper, good idea. However, the economics of it do not make sense for some, which is a shame. 

3 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

im gonna catch me a SLU undergrad on bumble then file a complaint with the school 

Online ***** house 

The term "sexual misconduct" says it all. What is sexual misconduct? If someone picks up someone in a bar and has a one night stand without any intention of a long term relationship is that sexual misconduct? In interpersonal relationships there are going to be feelings hurt, disappointments and some are going to take that as being taken advantage of and being a victim of sexual misconduct. I think Ms. Weathers may think such a situation is sexual misconduct and deserving of punishment. In life feelings get hurt and lessons are learned. If sex is consensual there should be no punishment. There should be no morality police. People should be punished for criminal activities,    not hurt feelings.

14 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

The term "sexual misconduct" says it all. What is sexual misconduct? If someone picks up someone in a bar and has a one night stand without any intention of a long term relationship is that sexual misconduct? In interpersonal relationships there are going to be feelings hurt, disappointments and some are going to take that as being taken advantage of and being a victim of sexual misconduct. I think Ms. Weathers may think such a situation is sexual misconduct and deserving of punishment. In life feelings get hurt and lessons are learned. If sex is consensual there should be no punishment. There should be no morality police. People should be punished for criminal activities,    not hurt feelings.

Agreed..unfortunately this is the society we live in today.

The dude would have been banned from every major college campus within his first hour of enrollment if this politically correct, no one's feelings should be hurt, mentality was around  back in the day.

22 hours ago, brianstl said:

Mojo is right.  This isn’t going to get changed on appeal.  You think the people that made sure Weathers was the hearing officer for this case will place anyone on the appeal panel who would risk the decision they wanted.

I have been labelled as a bad poster when I said no one would be happy with the decision, and that it was a lose-lose situation. We can go ahead and hope all we want about the effectiveness of the appeals, but I too doubt they will change much of anything. 

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I have been labelled as a bad poster when I said no one would be happy with the decision, and that it was a lose-lose situation. We can go ahead and hope all we want about the effectiveness of the appeals, but I too doubt they will change much of anything. 

Before you break your arm patting yourself on your back let me assure you that everybody knew this thing could go south but hope springs eternal.  I would also say that usually an appeal of punishment is very often lessened from what was levied at first.  In fact, it is rare when an appeal does not result in this kind of an outcome.  Remember, this is not a legal proceeding and there is not a written code that demands a minimum sentence.  This happens because the institution normally likes to look more compassionate,  flexible and tries to get to a situation that might make the affected parties not want to take it any further.  They uphold the findings but then lessen the pain so to speak.  Now nobody knows for sure what this appeals board will do but I would be shocked if they did not try to mitigate the situation to some extent.

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Before you break your arm patting yourself on your back let me assure you that everybody knew this thing could go south but hope springs eternal.  I would also say that usually an appeal of punishment is very often lessened from what was levied at first.  In fact, it is rare when an appeal does not result in this kind of an outcome.  Remember, this is not a legal proceeding and there is not a written code that demands a minimum sentence.  This happens because the institution normally likes to look more compassionate,  flexible and tries to get to a situation that might make the affected parties not want to take it any further.  They uphold the findings but then lessen the pain so to speak.  Now nobody knows for sure what this appeals board will do but I would be shocked if they did not try to mitigate the situation to some extent.

I wouldn't be surprised if hearing officers have an unwritten rule to make harsher than necessary punishments in order to leave the appeals board room to lessen them.  As Cheese said, both sides then get a "win" and may deter them from going to court.

39 minutes ago, Billfan7 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if hearing officers have an unwritten rule to make harsher than necessary punishments in order to leave the appeals board room to lessen them.  As Cheese said, both sides then get a "win" and may deter them from going to court.

These people shouldn't be allowed positions of authority, then, if that is the case. And shame on the American people for allowing a second-tier of the criminal justice system to loom larger over the first.

jimbofive likes this

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:17 AM, Adman said:

I went back to the most recent Title IX guidance from the Federal Government this evening and found this most relevant Q & A topic (bold mine):

Q. What constitutes an “equitable” investigation?

A. In every investigation conducted under the school’s grievance procedures, the burden is on the school—not on the parties—to gather sufficient evidence to reach a fair, impartial determination as to whether sexual misconduct has occurred and, if so, whether a hostile environment has been created that must be redressed. A person free of actual or reasonably perceived conflicts of interest and biases for or against any party must lead the investigation on behalf of the school. Schools should ensure that institutional interests do not interfere with the impartiality of the investigation.

This doesn't require actual biases. It says "...or reasonably perceived conflicts of interest and biases."

This doesn't say someone free of bias "should lead" or "best efforts to find someone to lead." It says "must lead."

To be clear, this was answering a question about investigation. By limited definition of investigation, it could be argued that the investigation was done by outside investigator(s) who by nature of their arm's length relationship with the school, should be free of bias.

But the investigation is much bigger than that. Once report is given to school, all kinds of additional investigation occurs. The HO meets with the parties, investigates more, learns more via the cross-examination questions from each party, learns of new evidence presented during these hearings. They investigate all the way to the end.

And I seriously doubt the spirit of the Fed. Govt's intention was to exclude the HO who, after all, oversees the investigation.

This is a good post (there aren't many left these days). Could the punishments be thrown out or dialed way back because of these perceived biases? Sort of a "mistrial"? We may be grasping, but she certainly exercised poor judgment in not considering how her Twitter feed may be perceived.

I'll also say this, because I DGAF about getting tagged with "Bad Posts" - I have a go-to comparison to Weathers in my wife, who is also a lawyer and would be aligned politically with Weathers - she also attended the women's march Saturday, she was a women's studies major at SLU, was active in UNA at SLU, and is just kind of a badass in general. However, given what we now know about this particular situation, there's no way she would've been handed this investigation and come to the same punishments for these players. Not a chance. She's extremely cautious and even-handed, knowing how the school may be opened up to litigation (she's a Xavier fan and the Dez Wells case was not that long ago), and unwilling to level a significant punishment to one side without damn good reason to do so. And this case, as we know, was shaky. So it's kind of painful to me to read through hundreds and hundreds of posts drenched in contempt for women, academia, and a broader "climate" right now, because there are a lot of excellent, sharp, fair legal minds out there who don't have cases decided ahead of time because of their broader beliefs. Based on the shocking penalties handed down by Weathers, she doesn't appear to be one of them, and that's a shame.

More important to me than her Twitter feed, though, is the Christopher Winston case that a few people have linked. I've read that a couple times now and I know it's coming from one side but I'm absolutely puzzled as to why this kid was cited for anything. Do we know how it turned out?

His behavior, to me, is the whole point of college. Learning, discussion, exchange of ideas, and challenging of beliefs. I went to talks at SLU that had the exact same thing happen (i.e. someone stand up and really challenge a speaker in a Q&A), and it was far from the most progressive campus then (early 2000s). We also had some Palestinian students every year put up a wall by the clock tower and talk about their perspective on the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Anyway, I can see no reason why Winston would've ever gotten in trouble, and the letter linked above claims a racial bias, and Weathers was one of the primary decision makers. I'm curious to know whether there are other data points here, and how the Winston situation turned out, if it has indeed wrapped up completely.

That Christoper Winston PDF might make my brain explode. The pendulum of what is or what isn't protected speech shifts from First Amendment to SLU's Student Guidebook or whatever and that's absolute bu||$hit. I feel bad for this young man. It's like you can literally have two books thrown at you at SLU, which is utter bu||$hit. 

I'd also like to sell you some beachfront property in Arizona if you don't believe SLU is reconstructing their student handbook with each passing incident.