GDT: SLU vs. Virginia Tech at MSG

Pistol

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Every non-conference game is a chance to lose in non-conference. Never forget that you're a SLU fan. This team is tough, they're good, they work hard, but they're not invulnerable. They have some flaws that will leave them open to a sucker punch on any given night. Complacency is not an option.

And Houston is going to be a pretty good team.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Every non-conference game is a chance to lose in non-conference. Never forget that you're a SLU fan. This team is tough, they're good, they work hard, but they're not invulnerable. They have some flaws that will leave them open to a sucker punch on any given night. Complacency is not an option.

Yep. The way I think about it though is that we got a win that wasn't even in the budget. Know we have more wiggle room, and even if we have a bad loss (Which I anticipate we will), no one can take this win away from us on national TV.

Just got home from the game. Whoa. Great atmosphere in the Garden. The fans really got into it in the second half. The incessant BS calls from the refs really started getting the SLU section going, then the VaTech fans came to life with their early second half threats, and then both sides really kept things pretty rowdy and vocal until the very end. 

Nice to see Larry Hughes in the house at courtside. The Bills fans had the section behind the bench nicely filled out. Oddly the VaTech fans seemed to mostly be seated at either end of the arena. Va Tech appeared to have more fans overall, but SLU had better fan representation directly behind its bench (nice coordination there) and got some love from the players before they trotted off to the locker room. 

I like the Barclays Center, but tonight's energy and attendance at the Garden was noticeably on a higher level than what Barclays would have garnered. Refs were atrocious and clearly all VaTech grads, resulting in Hasahn fouling out when he did which was pretty nerve racking. But, wow. Helluva game. 

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The official box score from Slubillikens.com has Roby with 4 fouls. It, also, has Bess with only 9 rebounds. So no double double for Bess.

5462227.pdf

It's stunning how many differences there are between this and the ESPN box score I was following.

Just now, Pistol said:

It's stunning how many differences there are between this and the ESPN box score I was following.

ESPN, Fox and STATS all must have been using the same source for their box score.  They all had the same mistakes.  Anyone know what source they use to generate their stats?

From a depth perspective the box makes VT look somewhat similar to SLU. They also only had 7 players with double digit minutes. And that's with Robinson leaving the game with 13:30 left in the second half. So yeah, we're short handed and it's definitely not our "best iteration", but what we do have seems to be working - even on a night with ridiculous refs resulting in 3 Billikens fouling out. 

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

So tomorrow's game and the Butler game are really our only 2 chances to lose in the noncon. Dont see us losing to any other team except maybe houston if we play like we did yesterday

Oregon State can be a tough game also.

Great game and win with a short bench.  I love JG, the way he plays for a FR is outstanding in all aspects of his game, except one AT THIS POINT.  He is not a good shooter unless driving to the basket.  I hope he puts in a lot of time improving this part of his game and I expect he will.  We need one or two marksmen from the 4 guys not playing now to help  JJ, who seems to have trouble getting his own shot.

Hey,

Quick public service announcement.  Joe Wiley, one of the great Billiken ballplayers of years past, put up a $5000 challenge as part of today's SLU Day of Giving.  If 50 people donated to the Athletic Department - any amount, even just $5 - if 50 people donated he would donate $5000.  There's only about 30 minutes left and we're still 7 donations or so short.  If you are still up, and still feeling good from the incredible victory, please consider going on-line and donating $5.  Your $5 could end up being worth $5000.

The student-athlete deserves our support.

52 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Never thought I would read this type of quote about a Billikens team:

“They were tougher than us from start to finish on both ends of the floor — more physical, played more like we want to play,” Hokies coach Buzz Williams said.

“I didn’t think that we were ever in the fight. I don’t think that we were ever in the mix. I thought they overwhelmed us not only with their energy but with their physicality.

I was reading through a couple Virginia Tech message boards... I’ve never seen so much arrogance from a fan group following a loss. 

Main take always from their board:

1. This is a really bad loss for them. It will hurt them terribly in March.

2. Providence is going to kill us in the championship. 

3. This was a massive upset. It would be akin the them beating Kentucky. 

The V Tech fans conceded that we played tougher, but only because we were up for playing such a great team.  

In my opinion, if that game was reffed properly we really would have pulled away in the second half.  They weren’t that good.  I really doubt they realized we were missing two of our top players as well.

It’s typical power conference arrogance really. I had a Mizzou friend text me tonight that Mizzou is going to dominate the STL recruiting scene for the foreseeable future. 

Either way I’m enjoying the win. Let’s get another one tonight!

My brother in law is getting married this weekend, so I watched this game on a grainy feed on their poor internet connection during a family party. My wife is probably going to have something to say today. This game was so much fun to watch. Like in years past, I was expecting the Bills to get a lead and then squander it away to a more highly touted team, or have roles reversed and give some signs of life like VT but never quite take control. Instead this team kept control of the whole game, dictating tempo, and making the plays that needed to be made. It was so much fun to watch. It was so good to see Goodwin break the ice and start putting up some points for us, and you gotta love Bess withcareer highs in points and rebounds. Let’s get our other players back and continue kicking ass!

NextYearBill likes this

7 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Bess is a tremendous ballplayer.  He is the very type of fluid 6'6" Forward that has torched SLU for decades.  It is quite clear why Tom Izzo wanted to keep him at Michigan State.  I'm certainly glad that we have him at SLU.

Can’t get too high after a win but between Bess and Goodwin this team may have the best 1-2 punch & leadership of any SLU team ... at least any that I’ve followed since 70s