Other games

brianstl

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I agree that Mizzou fans think the Missouri program is more prestigious than it really is.  However, I disagree with you — as someone who has been following the program closely for nearly 30 years — that Mike Anderson left the program in great shape.  He really didn't.  His incoming freshman recruits after the Kim English/Laurence Bowers/Marcus Denmon class were diminishing in quality, except that Mike Dixon and Phil Pressey were high quality.  Frank Haith had little recourse — or so he felt, apparently — but to turn to bringing in transfers, and the slide continued from there.

Here's the problem with Mizzou:  They can't really attract an elite coach.  They tried to get Painter when they settled for Haith, but Painter wasn't interested.

I wish someone had left me two very good ball handlers like Pressey and Dixon in my career.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 615Billiken said:

1) I will concede that to you. I did not look over their wins and losses, and on paper they look better than what I assumed. 

2) Is that a pre-season ranking?

1 hour ago, 615Billiken said:

1) I will concede that to you. I did not look over their wins and losses, and on paper they look better than what I assumed. 

2) Is that a pre-season ranking?

No it is RPI SOS. 

10 hours ago, teamarete said:

I wish someone had left me two very good ball handlers like Pressey and Dixon in my career.

First of all Merey Christmas. I’m not sure why I wasn’t allowed to post at all on Christmas. No one has ever explained the criteria for this post ban/restriction, which should be explained. I call it Situation 3...... As to your point about Haith inheriting Pressey and Dixon, Haith started the season with 8 players, Bowers never played a game, so they played the entire year with 7 guys and won 30 regular season games. What he did was nothing short of amazing. The fan base complained about transfers while he avg 25 wins a year. They flat out never liked the guy no matter what he did. 

6 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

First of all Merey Christmas. I’m not sure why I wasn’t allowed to post at all on Christmas. No one has ever explained the criteria for this post ban/restriction, which should be explained. I call it Situation 3...... As to your point about Haith inheriting Pressey and Dixon, Haith started the season with 8 players, Bowers never played a game, so they played the entire year with 7 guys and won 30 regular season games. What he did was nothing short of amazing. The fan base complained about transfers while he avg 25 wins a year. They flat out never liked the guy no matter what he did. 

Boo this man. 

19 hours ago, teamarete said:

2 ncaa tourneys in 9 years equals being hired to revive a program?  Yeah, ok.

Missouri State was a rebuild, I’m a 1 bid league. He revived that program, but no NCAA.  Tennessee, built his program into a Sweet 16 team. He hasn’t stayed anywhere long enough to have a tram full of just his guys and string together multiple NCAA bids. We’ve never seen a Martin senior class.

Arguing over whether Martin revived a program or not is silly. We all have different metrics and definitions for what it means to 'revive a program'.

All in all, Martin is an alright coach who can recruit well but consistently under performs. He will give you a competitive team, but we wont take you to the promise land. 

28 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Missouri State was a rebuild, I’m a 1 bid league. He revived that program, but no NCAA.  Tennessee, built his program into a Sweet 16 team. He hasn’t stayed anywhere long enough to have a tram full of just his guys and string together multiple NCAA bids. We’ve never seen a Martin senior class.

Mr integrity 

8 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Mr integrity 

Leaving MO St for a power 5 job: No brainer.

Leave Tenn after fans after thousands petition for you to replaced: No brainer. (Left coming off a Sweet 16)

Leaving Cal to go to the closest Power 5?school to your hometown for 3 million a year: No brainer.. 

Every move has made a ton of sense. At Missouri State he left the program in good shape and was replaced by a good friend and fellow Purdue alum and Coach Paul Lusk. He left Tenn in good shape coming off a Sweet 16. At Cal, he had some success, and again, a friend and protege was promoted to replace h. He’s not leaving a wake of destruction behind. I’d bet my life that unless the Purdue job opens up in the next 3 years, he will be at Missouri more than 3 years.

3 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Leaving MO St for a power 5 job: No brainer.

Leave Tenn after fans after thousands petition for you to replaced: No brainer. (Left coming off a Sweet 16)

Leaving Cal to go to the closest Power 5?school to your hometown for 3 million a year: No brainer.. 

Every move has made a ton of sense. At Missouri State he left the program in good shape and was replaced by a good friend and fellow Purdue alum and Coach Paul Lusk. He left Tenn in good shape coming off a Sweet 16. At Cal, he had some success, and again, a friend and protege was promoted to replace h. He’s not leaving a wake of destruction behind. I’d bet my life that unless the Purdue job opens up in the next 3 years, he will be at Missouri more than 3 years.

Cal is 6-7 with losses to chaminade, UC Riverside, Central Arkansas, and Portland State. 

They suck 

When you talk about strong programs it always centers around the coach staying around for a good while.  Programs who hire coaches that leave after 3 years never have sustainable programs.  I know there is Butler and VCU but they seem to pick coaches who were recently there and know the culture but even so they take their dips until that coach gets his feet on the ground.  The problem with a guy like Martin is that he always seems to have a reason to move on - not sure why TN hated him, I get the SWM thing so he gets a pass, Cal - that one did not make much sense to me - I know the money but that is the problem - he is quick to always leave and this idea of him moving closer to home was big draw. not really or else he never would have taken the Cal job. Look he is an opportunist and more power to him but he is the kind of guy who will always be looking for the golden chair.  Haith was never a fan favorite - I assume the Painter thing had something to do about this -  at MU and he left at the right time for him.  Anderson was another greedy guy who just kept asking for more and more and the school got tired of his incest money demands.  I get he liked AR and wanted back there so I guess it all worked out for him but once again stability is the key.  Martin will never reach his potential unless he stays.  The odds of him having the Porter thing fall in his lap so to speak will be slim in the future - how many fathers can he keep hiring?  By the way if you tried to post on the Christmas thread and were blocked then shame on the gate keepers.

Respectfully disagree Cheesman, bravo to the gatekeepers that block STLHI on any thread.

A fake Christmas wish from a horrible person does not belong on that thread.  I have him on ignore but I hope for a ban based on what he said earlier on the S2 thread that the moderators removed.  He also forgets that this is a SLU site not tigerboard.  Finally Quality tried to give this horrible wrech advice on posts that would help him on this board and he will not listen.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Respectfully disagree Cheesman, bravo to the gatekeepers that block STLHI on any thread.

A fake Christmas wish from a horrible person does not belong on that thread.  I have him on ignore but I hope for a ban based on what he said earlier on the S2 thread that the moderators removed.  He also forgets that this is a SLU site not tigerboard.  Finally Quality tried to give this horrible wrech advice on posts that would help him on this board and he will not listen.

If all he wanted to do was wish a Merry Christmas then I find it odd that they would block him.  They let him post on all the other threads.  My point was that you can not really know what is in the heart of a man unless you have evidence to suggest you do.  Wishing a Merry Christmas seems harmless enough.

57 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If all he wanted to do was wish a Merry Christmas then I find it odd that they would block him.  They let him post on all the other threads.  My point was that you can not really know what is in the heart of a man unless you have evidence to suggest you do.  Wishing a Merry Christmas seems harmless enough.

He's now in the 5 post a day "metz club"  He didn't wish a happy Christmas early enough in his trolling day......

8 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

It's a Christmas miracle your sorry a$$ still gets to post here at all. You were lucky the moderator had a blind spot about you for such a looong time. It appears he's finally coming to his senses and recognizes what you are all about. Be thankful you were lucky to con him for so long. 

Yarbrough with 29 points in second MVC game to go with 10 rebounds 4 assists 3 steals 3 blocks. Stat hog! avg 28.5 in league. seems to have found a rhythm. if he could maintain that lofty pace through regular season he would have a PPG of almost 24.8 which if averages were same end of season as they are now would put him as 4th highest average in the nation.

VeniceMenace likes this

23 hours ago, almaman said:

Yarbrough with 29 points in second MVC game to go with 10 rebounds 4 assists 3 steals 3 blocks. Stat hog! avg 28.5 in league. seems to have found a rhythm. if he could maintain that lofty pace through regular season he would have a PPG of almost 24.8 which if averages were same end of season as they are now would put him as 4th highest average in the nation.

Yeah, he got player of the week again...will play for money in a few years at this rate.

Will he be the best transfer to leave since Rickey Frazier?

almaman likes this

Creighton-St. John's game was as entertaining a game as I've seen this season.

I want SLU in the Big East, but man, we'd be getting absolutely demolished there right now. I hope we're ready as a program and as an institution if the Big East ever decides to expand. It would be my favorite conference even if my alma mater weren't trying to get in.

Xavier and Providense was entertaining Providense won 81-72, Cartwright is a great player for Providense.

Pistol is spot on about the big east great teams great conference fun to watch.

MU loses to Florida 77-75, MU turns over the ball with 5 seconds left and Florida gets a layup.  SEC officiating is as bad as the A10 MU was ripped off by officiating and even though the announcers countless times said officiating does not cause loses it did this game.  Several phantom foul calls on MU.

10 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

There's some discussion about it in at least two other threads.  There's the Porter thread, the Recruiting 2017 thread and possibly another.

Edited by Quality Is Job 1