Other games

brianstl

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I can be a fan of 2 teams you know. What does it matter? I've watched nearly every Mizzou and Billikens game since I can remember even when either team is bad or good.

They pretend to not understand that you can like 2 teams, in particular, 2 teams that haven’t played each other in 16 years. It’s childish. And as annoyed as they get at any Mizzou mention, I’m equally as annoyed when they pretend to not understand you can be a fan of both.

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

They pretend to not understand that you can like 2 teams, in particular, 2 teams that haven’t played each other in 16 years. It’s childish. And as annoyed as they get at any Mizzou mention, I’m equally as annoyed when they pretend to not understand you can be a fan of both.

Exactly, and if they ever do play each other, I'll just hope it's a fun game to watch and be happy and sad with either outcome

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

They play each other every day in the media, for ink in the newspaper, for clicks online. It’s not hard to understand 

34 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They play each other every day in the media, for ink in the newspaper, for clicks online. It’s not hard to understand 

If only that were true. There’s no competition for clicks. The Slubillikens.com website is awful. This is the only good billiken site. In addition to its own athletic site, you can find updated features of Mizzou content on a ton of websites. Even the Post Dispatch has much more Mizzou content than SLU. There was more pressure for Illinois to release Tilmon than for SLU to resolve the current disciplinary situation and that’s sad. In all seriousness, any member here could start a podcast tonight on Billikens basketball and it would instantly be the official podcast of the Billikens.  This should be a safe haven for SLU fans, but this board has run off long time posters, parents of players, high school and college coaches, and fans of both programs.

You can be a fan of both teams but I’ve also seen very few instances where it’s done well. I’m a fan of my alma mater (Vanderbilt) as well as SLU, but am clearly a much bigger fan of SLU and if there were ever recruiting wars, publicity battles, etc., my Vandy fandom would dissipate quickly.

Most people who claim to be a fan of both Mizzou and SLU use that as an excuse to give backhanded digs towards our program and fans. Most people who claim to be a fan of both see Mizzou as an eventual top 25 program and view SLU as the cute local team who will occcasionaly make noise in our “mid-major” conference. Until I see more examples of people who successfully pull off being a fan of both, I think it’s pretty fair to question anyone who shows up out of the blue with that claim.

Billiken Rich likes this

7 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

If only that were true. There’s no competition for clicks. The Slubillikens.com website is awful. This is the only good billiken site. In addition to its own athletic site, you can find updated features of Mizzou content on a ton of websites. Even the Post Dispatch has much more Mizzou content than SLU. There was more pressure for Illinois to release Tilmon than for SLU to resolve the current disciplinary situation and that’s sad. In all seriousness, any member here could start a podcast tonight on Billikens basketball and it would instantly be the official podcast of the Billikens.  This should be a safe haven for SLU fans, but this board has run off long time posters, parents of players, high school and college coaches, and fans of both programs.

Every time you post something like this, it hurts the claim that people can successfully pull off being a fan of both programs.

I've come to believe that truly casual fans of both programs can call for each, because they don't see the behind the scenes things like recruiting battles, media coverage, etc. as being in conflict. They are just fans on game day and since we don't play each other they don't even have to think that there could be a conflict. 

But generally, anyone that cares enough about either program to post on a message board and then can't hold themselves back enough to not talk about the other program quite a bit on the other team's message board, is really just a troll. Here's looking at you STL Insider and Billsbeliever!

Billiken Rich likes this

1 hour ago, NH said:

You can be a fan of both teams but I’ve also seen very few instances where it’s done well. I’m a fan of my alma mater (Vanderbilt) as well as SLU, but am clearly a much bigger fan of SLU and if there were ever recruiting wars, publicity battles, etc., my Vandy fandom would dissipate quickly.

Most people who claim to be a fan of both Mizzou and SLU use that as an excuse to give backhanded digs towards our program and fans. Most people who claim to be a fan of both see Mizzou as an eventual top 25 program and view SLU as the cute local team who will occcasionaly make noise in our “mid-major” conference. Until I see more examples of people who successfully pull off being a fan of both, I think it’s pretty fair to question anyone who shows up out of the blue with that claim.

I think and want both teams to be top 25 teams, make the tournament, and have sucess. Both team have that potential, but don't kid yourself out of thinking we aren't in a mid major conference. As a whole the A10 is only around 10 games above .500. It should be a few games above that # though (we should have had more wins with the S2 players).

also, when have I ever gave a "backhanded dig" at the Bills program and fans? 

3 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I think and want both teams to be top 25 teams, make the tournament, and have sucess. Both team have that potential, but don't kid yourself out of thinking we aren't in a mid major conference. As a whole the A10 is only around 10 games above .500. It should be a few games above that # though (we should have had more wins with the S2 players).

I haven’t really read any of your posts just giving my view on the general phenomenon. How you want to categorize the A-10 is up to you, I’m not a fan of the term mid major since it does nothing to separate A-10 from the Horizon League but if you are then more power to you

22 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

This is satire right? No I don’t think you’re that self aware.

44 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Speaking of Backhand, where has he been?