Other games

brianstl

There are people that are fans of both programs who actually post on this board.  They are smart enough to avoid posting stuff that talks up Mizzou’s program on this board.  People that have a continual need to talk up Mizzou and/or give SLU backhanded compliments on here are not SLU fans.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I think and want both teams to be top 25 teams, make the tournament, and have sucess. Both team have that potential, but don't kid yourself out of thinking we aren't in a mid major conference. As a whole the A10 is only around 10 games above .500. It should be a few games above that # though (we should have had more wins with the S2 players).

also, when have I ever gave a "backhanded dig" at the Bills program and fans? 

Calling the A10 a mid major conference is a good enough backhanded dig for me.  You are certainly not a fan(atic) or believer.....

HenryB likes this

59 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Calling the A10 a mid major conference is a good enough backhanded dig for me.  You are certainly not a fan(atic) or believer.....

Here is the definition of "Mid Major Coference" -

"Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called "Power Five conferences" (the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC)"

I would also say the Big East is a power conference, and I do not see the Atlantic 10 on that small list. Now, our conference is, in my opinion, the 2nd best mid major conference after the American. 

I think that the difference between a power conference and a mid major is how many teams normally make the NCAAT. Id say those six conferences normally get around 5-9 teams in the tournament. The American gets around 4, and the A10 gets 2, maybe 3 on a good year. 

13 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

the A10 gets 2, maybe 3 on a good year. 

Troll,

in the past 5 years the A10 has more tournament bids than the SEC. In only one year did the SEC have more bids than the A10.

Sorry. 

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

"Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called "Power Five conferences" (the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC)"

I would also say the Big East is a power conference, and I do not see the Atlantic 10 on that small list. Now, our conference is, in my opinion, the 2nd best mid major conference after the American. 

I think that the difference between a power conference and a mid major is how many teams normally make the NCAAT. Id say those six conferences normally get around 5-9 teams in the tournament. The American gets around 4, and the A10 gets 2, maybe 3 on a good year. 

What a terrible definition.

When "mid major" was introduced into the lexicon about 20 years ago it was designed to downgrade most NCAA programs with regards to recruiting.  The terms "power conference" or "cs conference" are really only bandied about by the media or reps of the BCS conferences.  Most basketball people find it silly that the way conferences are oriented for football dictates anything in basketball.  There are a lot of schools in BCS conferences that are "mid major."

The ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, Big East, American, Mountain West, A10, and CUSA are all considered high major in regards to recruiting.  Mid Major are typically conferences ranked 11-20, low major is the rest,

A10 does not allow members to be voted in the Mid Major poll since the conference does not consider itself mid major.  If you were a fan of SLU and the A10 you wouldn't want the mad major distinction placed on SLU's conference because it affects how we are perceived by recruits and recruiting lists.

Pistol likes this

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

What a terrible definition.

When "mid major" was introduced into the lexicon about 20 years ago it was designed to downgrade most NCAA programs with regards to recruiting.  The terms "power conference" or "cs conference" are really only bandied about by the media or reps of the BCS conferences.  Most basketball people find it silly that the way conferences are oriented for football dictates anything in basketball.  There are a lot of schools in BCS conferences that are "mid major."

The ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, Big East, American, Mountain West, A10, and CUSA are all considered high major in regards to recruiting.  Mid Major are typically conferences ranked 11-20, low major is the rest,

A10 does not allow members to be voted in the Mid Major poll since the conference does not consider itself mid major.  If you were a fan of SLU and the A10 you wouldn't want the mad major distinction placed on SLU's conference because it affects how we are perceived by recruits and recruiting lists.

Good post!

10 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I'm sure the Big East is really thrilled you would also say that they are high major.  

As others have better said "mid major" is a slur.  I don't use it to describe Ohio Valley teams or MO Valley teams or any team in D1 because of that    

bills believer, the fact you think more than 2 ncaa bids rarely happens proves you know next to nothing about the A10 and the billikens.   just change your moniker to tigerboy or something more accurate.  you definitely havent earned billiken fan status 

1 minute ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

The arrogance of so many to tell people they are not Billikens fans. Many have invested time and years here and then when they show any signs of dissection they are told they are not fans or get called trolls and it’s wrong.

If telling you that you are not a fan and that you are a troll is wrong, I don't want to be right. 

GBL_Bills likes this

2 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

The arrogance of so many to tell people they are not Billikens fans. Many have invested time and years here and then when they show any signs of dissection they are told they are not fans or get called trolls and it’s wrong.

Even the moderator, your former ally, calls you a troll. Give it up.

15 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Do you have any clue when the last time the A-10 only got 2 teams was?

My bad I meant that this year we are only getting 2. Normally we get around the same amount as the SEC, but they are seen as a "power conference" because of football. This year will be an outlier compared to the last with the A10 getting 2 and the SEC getting around 7-8.

sorry for the mistake

14 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

This is so bad and inaccurate it's crazy.  I haven't really seen many of your posts but just need to see this one to realize you are just a Mizzou guy.  Where did you even get that?  Shoot go to even wikipedia and it says, "Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called "Power Five conferences" (the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC), the American, the Atlantic 10, Mountain West and the Big East[1] the programs of which are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison."

You will find a lot more sites that call the A10 a high major compared to Mid-major and referring to it as a mid-major just shows you are a Mizzou guy because no SLU fan would do that.  

6 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

the day you give positive and equal non patronizing treatment to the billikens is the day your above statement would be somewhat true.   but you and billsbeliever prefer to make the billikens out to be some secondary citizen compared to your tiger$.   we just dont want to hear that.   mainly because it is not true.   

the A10 gets 2, maybe 3 on a good year. 

5 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

My bad I meant that this year we are only getting 2. Normally we get around the same amount as the SEC, but they are seen as a "power conference" because of football. This year will be an outlier compared to the last with the A10 getting 2 and the SEC getting around 7-8.

sorry for the mistake

These two posts contradict each other

NCAA Bids by year

2017 - A10 3, AAC 2, MWC 1

2016 - A10 3, AAC 4, MWC 1

2015 - A10 3, AAC 2, MWC 3

2014 - A10 6, AAC 4, MWC 2

44 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

This is so bad and inaccurate it's crazy.  I haven't really seen many of your posts but just need to see this one to realize you are just a Mizzou guy.  Where did you even get that?  Shoot go to even wikipedia and it says, "Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called "Power Five conferences" (the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC), the American, the Atlantic 10, Mountain West and the Big East[1] the programs of which are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison."

You will find a lot more sites that call the A10 a high major compared to Mid-major and referring to it as a mid-major just shows you are a Mizzou guy because no SLU fan would do that.  

I like the term High Major for the A10

3 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Now, class, for your seventh grade science lab project, you will be dissecting a troll!

I believe recruiting guru, Brick Oettinger, invented the term mid-major. He was writing for what's now known as the ACC Sports Journal, then called the PooP Sheet, and covered recruiting extensively in the 70s and 80s. As a way to distinguish among the quality of recruits he invented the term "mid-major" to describe players he viewed as a two rungs below the "blue-chippers" and the "difference-makers" at the highest level.

After a few years of using this designation, Dickie V and the hoop talkers of the day, began describing programs in terms of whether they were high major or mid-major. I knew Brick from my days living in Chapel Hill, and while he was a pioneer in the analysis of high school talent, I never liked how his term began to describe programs.

Some quick examples of teams who were viewed as terrific with no thought of being called "mid-major" were the '63 Loyola-Chicago Ramblers, the late '60s Dayton teams, the Bob Lanier led St. Bonnie teams, and the excellent teams from Houston and Charlotte in the 60s and 70s to name a few. No one thought of them as mid-majors and I liked it better that way.