• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a ****** move. Here's my scale of douchery regarding it:

Most ******: STL/V-time posting about it on this board

Second most ******: Counzo for suggesting it

Third most ******: SF Martin coach for allowing it

Fourth most ******: STL media for fawning over it like it was a class act. This particular act of douchery was completely predictable given all the fan boys in the local media.

34 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I thought it was a ****** move. Here's my scale of douchery regarding it:

Most ******: STL/V-time posting about it on this board

Second most ******: Counzo for suggesting it

Third most ******: SF Martin coach for allowing it

Fourth most ******: STL media for fawning over it like it was a class act. This particular act of douchery was completely predictable given all the fan boys in the local media.

I agree.  I've seen other coaches do it over the years, but usually it is a NCAA tournament game or some other bigger event.  Also, it seems it is usually a hall of famer coach that pulls this off as well.

Even when it's a HOF coach, it's a pretty condescending and arrogant move.

I'm trying to picture an opposing coach doing that if I were in the locker room, and I would've thought he was a ******.

20 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I watched that video.  Something about that move doesn't seem quite right.  I could see sending a text message to the coach later in the evening and maybe e-mail addressed to the team to the school's athletics director the next day, but the opposing locker room right after the game?  I'm sure he was coming from a good place, had good intentions, but he should have overruled the impulse after a second thought.  What do his own players think about such a move?

So it's not the praise of the team for their style of play and how hard they played....it's how and where the message was delivered 🤔 

3 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

So it's not the praise of the team for their style of play and how hard they played....it's how and where the message was delivered 🤔 

I think coach Martin had the best of intentions but the execution was horrible.

Speaking to the media and praising the play of SFA and a text that would have been classy as we have seen over the years.

A pleasant conversation when shaking hands and praising each player and coach on the way out is classy.

When coaches praise SLU while shaking hands and the media it gives me a great feeling about the coach.

A coach showing up in our locker room would be a turnoff that is coach Fords job.

36 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think coach Martin had the best of intentions but the execution was horrible.

Speaking to the media and praising the play of SFA and a text that would have been classy as we have seen over the years.

A pleasant conversation when shaking hands and praising each player and coach on the way out is classy.

When coaches praise SLU while shaking hands and the media it gives me a great feeling about the coach.

A coach showing up in our locker room would be a turnoff that is coach Fords job.

Understood.  Yes,  if he just popped up at the visitors locker room without notice i see how that move could be met with disapproval.  Seeing as how he said it never happened before I just looked at it as maybe in the Coaches conversation after the game Martin mentioned a message or theme about basketball that the Head Coach has been trying to send to his players (hard work, effort, defense) Out of mutual respect maybe he invited Martin so the kids could hear the same message but from a different voice.  

44 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Yep.

Like I said, I think he had honorable intentions, but he should have reconsidered the action.  Talk to the opposing coach in the post-game handshake line and tell him to pass along to his team how he admired the guts they played with.  Or, like I said, text or e-mail the coach and ask him to pass along the praise.  Heck, even record a video and forward that later.  But by no means should a coach visit an opposing team's locker room to speak to the opposing team.  That's ANY coach.  Maybe Mike Krzyzewski or Tom Izzo could get away with it, but very few others.

They just lost!  That moment belongs to them and their coach, to regroup and grow.  It's not the time for the coach of a team who just beat you to come in and steal their head coach's thunder.  I would be highly offended, if I were Kyle Keller.

Total DBag and arrogant move.  I remember when Coach K did this a few yours back after they got bounced early in the tourney.  bull**** move in my opinion.  I would be like get the f*ck out of our locker room.  SFA was leaps and bounds better than Mizzou just last year.

21 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Like I said, it's become obvious that you relish your reputation.  You know that this post, responding to an 11-day old post that has lost all relevance, is going to further rile up enmity by SLU fans towards you, yet you make it, anyway.  And then you feign ignorance as to why SLU fans lash out at you!

Even if Cuonzo Martin is a class act, it doesn't seem very likely that you are -- at least, not in the minds of the SLU fans you love to antagonize.

Glad you finally see what myself and others saw in vtime a long time ago. An obvious troll like him shouldn't get more than a post/week. It's the holidays, so I'm being kind. B)

37 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Yep.

Like I said, I think he had honorable intentions, but he should have reconsidered the action.  Talk to the opposing coach in the post-game handshake line and tell him to pass along to his team how he admired the guts they played with.  Or, like I said, text or e-mail the coach and ask him to pass along the praise.  Heck, even record a video and forward that later.  But by no means should a coach visit an opposing team's locker room to speak to the opposing team.  That's ANY coach.  Maybe Mike Krzyzewski or Tom Izzo could get away with it, but very few others.

They just lost!  That moment belongs to them and their coach, to regroup and grow.  It's not the time for the coach of a team who just beat you to come in and steal their head coach's thunder.  I would be highly offended, if I were Kyle Keller.

Ok

On 12/20/2017 at 5:06 PM, Franchise_08 said:

I found it pompous and uneccessary. Who the hell is Martin to praise a program who has had better success than his current one? 

Coach Keller is in his 2nd season, 10 of their 14 players are in their 1st or 2nd season. They were 18-16 last yr. Most of their team has achieved no success at all. He was praising an up and coming team. I would feel the same way if Ford did it.

4 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Coach Keller is in his 2nd season, 10 of their 14 players are in their 1st or 2nd season. They were 18-16 last yr. Most of their team has achieved no success at all. He was praising an up and coming team. I would feel the same way if Ford did it.

Oh brother.  They have a good team and have had great success under underwood a while back.  I'm sure when your boys get curb stomped down the road, you'll be fine when the opposing coach crashes the tiger locker room to pat them on the head.

1 hour ago, teamarete said:

Oh brother.  They have a good team and have had great success under underwood a while back.  I'm sure when your boys get curb stomped down the road, you'll be fine when the opposing coach crashes the tiger locker room to pat them on the head.

He didn’t force his way in, coach Keller was all for it. This is his first yr head coaching position and he might desire to be Cuonzo Martin one day.

8 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

He didn’t force his way in, coach Keller was all for it. This is his first yr head coaching position and he might desire to be Cuonzo Martin one day.

He's hoping to go to 2 NCAA tournies in 9 years and bounce to his 4th job in 10 seasons? Sounds like some major career goals there.

8 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

He should aim higher. I get what it was meant to be but the last thing I want is a coach to come in and belittle my team, “ hey little guy, man did you gave such a good effort” 

7 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Understood.  Yes,  if he just popped up at the visitors locker room without notice i see how that move could be met with disapproval.  Seeing as how he said it never happened before I just looked at it as maybe in the Coaches conversation after the game Martin mentioned a message or theme about basketball that the Head Coach has been trying to send to his players (hard work, effort, defense) Out of mutual respect maybe he invited Martin so the kids could hear the same message but from a different voice.  

Why on earth would the SFA coach want the coach from another school who just beat them to deliver his message to his team?  Talk about bending yourself into a pretzel trying to explain something that is not explainable - I give you rubber man Coach 314.  Normally, I read your posts and give them credit but this one is simply is not there.

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Maybe martin should spend more time prepping for teams in the future instead of saying good job.  

16 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Why on earth would the SFA coach want the coach from another school who just beat them to deliver his message to his team?  Talk about bending yourself into a pretzel trying to explain something that is not explainable - I give you rubber man Coach 314.  Normally, I read your posts and give them credit but this one is simply is not there.

That's fine.  I really don't care why Martin did it.  His actions didn't offend me.  Just throwing out a scenario.  I haven't coached at the college level but coaches have come over after AAU games in the past to compliment my boys on our style of play.  Coaches have also, after talking to them, have asked me to repeat our conversation to their boys to reinforce the message they are trying to instill.  My post was just to give another scenario.  I am not here to defend him.  Just having a conversation in the forum.  I appreciate your input as well.