Other games

brianstl

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is traveling to the Charlotte area for the Davidson game, the Hilton Garden Inn/Charlotte North (Northlake Village) is $80/night and about 12 miles from the Davidson campus. I'm going to try and schedule some work up there during the day and then try and at least get halfway back to Atlanta after the game, but that rate is pretty freaking good. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

If anyone is traveling to the Charlotte area for the Davidson game, the Hilton Garden Inn/Charlotte North (Northlake Village) is $80/night and about 12 miles from the Davidson campus. I'm going to try and schedule some work up there during the day and then try and at least get halfway back to Atlanta after the game, but that rate is pretty freaking good. 

So if coming to Bill's game here in town would Collinsville or maybe The Strafford Inn be your suggestions.

5 hours ago, almaman said:

So if coming to Bill's game here in town would Collinsville or maybe The Strafford Inn be your suggestions.

The Stratford Inn is the correct answer. 

Where else can you go to have a few beers, play a little sand volleyball, and watch some midget wrestling?

I was in attendance at McKeon Pavilion in Moraga for last night's Dayton at St. Mary's game, where I watched much of the second half of the Billikens-Camels game on my I-Phone, the wonders of technology.  I'm pretty sure Oakland A's Executive Vice- President of Baseball Operations and minority owner Billy Beane, of MoneyBall fame, the real Billy, not Brad Pitt, was seated about 10 feet to my right.

Dayton played a zone defense, which is like playing Russian Roulette (or in this case, Australian and Oregonian) against St. Mary's and its outside shooters, suicidal, and played right into St. Mary's hands.  Having not seen Dayton play previously this year, I don't know if the Zone is UD's base defense.  Plus, the Gaels have a 7 foot Aussie Center, who is effective in the paint.  Dayton led 31-29 at the half, after being up by more.  But I thought of the late, great Al McGuire, who said games are won and lost at the beginning of the second half.  Last night was no exception, as the Gaels blitzed UD in the de facto 3rd Quarter.  St. Mary's ultimately won the game 69-54.  The game was officiated by 3 veteran Western officials.  Although there was some limited dissent from the Dayton bench and fans behind the bench, I thought overall the refs were no factor in the Dayton loss.  Also few Sweater Vests were actually observed, as the Dayton faithful were dressed in more standard East Bay casual.

Dayton, even ravaged by eligibility expiration and with a new Coach, still has a number of athletes.  I was impressed with Dayton's 6'9" Junior Xeyrius Williams, who had 16 points and was 3-6 on 3-Pointers.  The tall, thin red shirt freshman, Kostas Antetokounmpo, 6'10", 197, is an interesting player, and is going to be a good one with time and experience.  

My main takes from this game were questioning why Dayton played and stayed in the zone defense against St. Mary's, and that Dayton has athletes.  My other take is SLU, especially without the Missing 3, is going to have its hands full with Dayton, at least twice.  Maybe Dayton will play a man to man defense against the Ironmen Billikens ...  Even with the Missing 3 back and playing, Dayton is going to be 2 tough games for our Billikens.

On 12/9/2017 at 1:37 PM, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Duke loses to Boston College making Mizzou the #1 RPI team.

Be careful with your Mizzou posts also. The best part of Mizzou’s win last night was the post game. What a class act.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.midmajormadness.com/platform/amp/2017/12/20/16800790/video-missouri-tigers-cuonzo-martin-stephen-f-austin-lumberjacks-locker-room

What a douchey act. SFA's coach should be fired for letting that kind of condescending crap happen. "Hey little guys! You really belong here! I know your program has been to more NCAA tournaments than I have, but go get em!" 

9 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Be careful with your Mizzou posts also. The best part of Mizzou’s win last night was the post game. What a class act.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.midmajormadness.com/platform/amp/2017/12/20/16800790/video-missouri-tigers-cuonzo-martin-stephen-f-austin-lumberjacks-locker-room

Like I said, it's become obvious that you relish your reputation.  You know that this post, responding to an 11-day old post that has lost all relevance, is going to further rile up enmity by SLU fans towards you, yet you make it, anyway.  And then you feign ignorance as to why SLU fans lash out at you!

Even if Cuonzo Martin is a class act, it doesn't seem very likely that you are -- at least, not in the minds of the SLU fans you love to antagonize.

5 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

It was on the last page of the thread. And it was really cool. If that antagonized someone, that’s sad.

You really think most SLU fans here would find "really cool" something positive about Mizzou?  If you do, then you possess that very prevalent attitude that SLU fans hate about Mizzou fans.  I don't understand why you don't get it.

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I don't understand why you don't get it.

He gets it. He 100% understands what he does. He is an expert at trying to play the victim. He is like a dumber, more annoying version of Urkel. I used to be 'whatever' towards him, but he's obviously a fully out of the closet troll at this point.  It is sad that someone gets their jollies not by supporting their favorite team, but by trolling the message board of a team they feel is inferior. 

giphy.gif

I watched that video.  Something about that move doesn't seem quite right.  I could see sending a text message to the coach later in the evening and maybe e-mail addressed to the team to the school's athletics director the next day, but the opposing locker room right after the game?  I'm sure he was coming from a good place, had good intentions, but he should have overruled the impulse after a second thought.  What do his own players think about such a move?

17 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Maybe it was to exploit what a pompous A$$ Martin is...it wasn’t Bill Self who was addressing them, it Cuonzo Freakin Martin. 

i'm not a MU fan/apologist, etc., but if another coach ever had the audacity to ask Norm Stewart to address his team, Norm would have told that coach to do something anatomically impossible to himself.