PF and center

From team viewing Foreman is coming off the bench.  French and Johnson have improved too much to keep minutes down.  Anthony will also be a factor and could start depending on matchups.

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

From team viewing Foreman is coming off the bench.  French and Johnson have improved too much to keep minutes down.  Anthony will also be a factor and could start depending on matchups.

Any word on anthony being better than expected?  Just based off what I saw from his previous seasons I'm not sure if i see him logging major minutes. I could easily be missing something.

I would think that two of the great advantages we are taking into this season are a very deep bench and a huge amount of flexibility in how and who we can play against specific opposing players. I hope Ford manages to pull some of this magic using our deep bench talent decisively when it is needed.

jimbofive likes this

Grad transfers don't choose a one-year destination where they'll sit. At 6-9, Anthony is the tallest guy on the roster, along with Welmer, who won't be available early in the season. He's the closest thing we have to a "center", but we're really running a rotation of power forwards and I expect to see a relatively even share of minutes between Anthony, Foreman, and French. Johnson is also someone we can plug in at 4 when necessary.

It's funny, this roster is both the "biggest" we've ever seen in terms of physicality, but it's probably also one of the shortest. Strange not having anyone 6-10 or bigger.

This thread has got me thinking in general: Is this the deepest team we've ever had? Kwam's senior year and the following year was pretty deep, but some not great players still got role player minutes.  There are gonna be guys who have proven they can play at Mid-High Major level who are barely going to see the floor this year.

Further, I think everyone can agree our depth next season is going to be insane:  add a full season of Graves, plus Santos, Gordon, Thatch, Pearson. 

Can we start the season now?

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I like Foreman anchoring down the 5 with a rotation of JJ and french mixing up the 4.  Can go defensively or offensively with just one switch at the 4.  

That's how I see it as well with Anthony being the back-up to Foreman at the 5. I actually think a stretch big like Wellmer paired with a beast like French could work well.

it is far too early to analyze depth.   with the mitchell senior year you had quality depth.   guys coming off the bench that were just as good as the starters.    my fear all along on this team is a drop off in talent between the starters and the bench as i have little use for any of the crews holdovers.   i suspect an exhausted transfer or freshman would still out play our holdovers.   i hope i am wrong, and if the crewsies are quality then we truly will have a very deep team.   

as to other deep teams besides the mitchell senior team, h, claggett and highmark's senior year was a very deep team from a guard standpoint.   we had carl turner coming off the bench as well as harris coming in for the bigs.   so we had quality going beyond the starters with that team as well.   

47 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I like Foreman anchoring down the 5 with a rotation of JJ and french mixing up the 4.  Can go defensively or offensively with just one switch at the 4.  

I'm looking at Foreman, French and Anthony as Paint Power Players. I see Johnson, Welmer and Bess, to a degree, as transitional Paint - Perimeter players.  Just my opinion. I don't care who starts.  I care who finishes and who gets the critical minutes.

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

it is far too early to analyze depth.   with the mitchell senior year you had quality depth.   guys coming off the bench that were just as good as the starters.    my fear all along on this team is a drop off in talent between the starters and the bench as i have little use for any of the crews holdovers.   i suspect an exhausted transfer or freshman would still out play our holdovers.   i hope i am wrong, and if the crewsies are quality then we truly will have a very deep team.   

as to other deep teams besides the mitchell senior team, h, claggett and highmark's senior year was a very deep team from a guard standpoint.   we had carl turner coming off the bench as well as harris coming in for the bigs.   so we had quality going beyond the starters with that team as well.   

We have a solid senior guard in Roby (likely 2nd-3rd option off the bench if he’s not plugged into the starting lineup occasionally) and a former all A-10 rookie team member in Bishop (likely 2nd-4th option off the bench).  Welmer, when healthy, has shown quality.  Hines is a walk-on who I hope doesn’t get a ton of minutes, but he is as good as any A-10 third pg option.  The crews’ holdovers aren’t as talented as the Ford guys, but I think you rate them way too low. Our guys at 7-10 on the pecking order are as good, if not better, than similar players around the A-10. 

46 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

This thread has got me thinking in general: Is this the deepest team we've ever had? Kwam's senior year and the following year was pretty deep, but some not great players still got role player minutes.  There are gonna be guys who have proven they can play at Mid-High Major level who are barely going to see the floor this year.

Further, I think everyone can agree our depth next season is going to be insane:  add a full season of Graves, plus Santos, Gordon, Thatch, Pearson. 

Can we start the season now?

With an across-the-board talent upgrade this season and even more so next, this *should* be one of the deepest teams we've ever had. But we don't know how deep the rotation will go, and there are always odd men out. We don't know yet who's going to rise to the top minutes-wise and who's going to disappoint. By the second half, when Graves is eligible and Welmer is healthy, this should be one of our deepest rosters yet.

If this team is as strong as I think it is, and barring unforeseen circumstances like a mass departure or coaching change or something, then next season should be the deepest SLU team ever.

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

With an across-the-board talent upgrade this season and even more so next, this *should* be one of the deepest teams we've ever had. But we don't know how deep the rotation will go, and there are always odd men out. We don't know yet who's going to rise to the top minutes-wise and who's going to disappoint. By the second half, when Graves is eligible and Welmer is healthy, this should be one of our deepest rosters yet.

If this team is as strong as I think it is, and barring unforeseen circumstances like a mass departure or coaching change or something, then next season should be the deepest SLU team ever.

Yeah, the depth of talent the coaching staff has accumulated is quite impressive especially looking ahead to next season. This year we have one walk-on receiving a scholarship, one transfer sitting out the entire season, and one transfer sitting out the first semester. I think most coaches typically prefer a 9 man rotation with a 10th and possibly 11th man likely getting spot minutes for various reasons (fouls/match-up/injury/etc.). It is kind of interesting because with Welmer still getting back to full speed, we may have a situation where in the 1st semester everyone who can play (and is a true scholarship player) is playing consistent quality minutes. Once Welmer is back to full strength and Graves is eligible, then you have a situation where a true scholarship player (or 2) is likely not getting playing time beyond mop-up duty. I like that dynamic.

31 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

We have a solid senior guard in Roby (likely 2nd-3rd option off the bench if he’s not plugged into the starting lineup occasionally) and a former all A-10 rookie team member in Bishop (likely 2nd-4th option off the bench).  Welmer, when healthy, has shown quality.  Hines is a walk-on who I hope doesn’t get a ton of minutes, but he is as good as any A-10 third pg option.  The crews’ holdovers aren’t as talented as the Ford guys, but I think you rate them way too low. Our guys at 7-10 on the pecking order are as good, if not better, than similar players around the A-10. 

i recognize what you are saying about our returnees.    my point is that the transfers and freshmen i expect to be head and shoulders better to the point it will be a noticeable drop off in performance when they are not in the game (exception expectation being johnson).   it will not make sense to not have the newbies in the game.   i hope i am wrong to the degree that our crewsies are going to rise to the occasion.   if so, it will be a very very good year.   i think a lot of people seem to think because our returnees have played a lot for the previous years that they must have a lot of talent.   remember we werent real good the last three years thus not sure you can equate that previous PT with quality expectations for 17-18.

58 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

We have five players coming off of significant injuries and/or surgery in their careers - Goodwin, Foreman, Bess, Welmer and Bishop. I wish no player ill-will, but the likelihood that one of them doesn't have an issue with that injury is remote.  Guys will get banged up.  French and AD already have slowed in practice with dings.  Last year we lost 28 player-games due to injury.  It happens.  Depth will be nice to have, assuming we dress 10 scholarship players in the OOC.  And then factor in foul trouble.  All 10 will get solid minutes in OOC.

I think people are really underestimating Roby. He scored 11.7 ppg last year on a team that did not push the pace. That's more than any of the incoming transfers. And for people saying that it was due to the quality of our team I would also point out that Rutgers and UCF weren't a whole lot better. Roby is a good three point shooter. He's a solid defender who could be a terrific defender if he was carrying less of an offensive load, which will presumably the case. He's also our team captain and obvious leader. He's improved a ton over the past couple seasons which often gets lost in the shuffle because of his association with those brutal Crews teams.

I think he'll finish in our top 3 in minutes and start most if not all games.

CBFan likes this