PF and center

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i recognize what you are saying about our returnees.    my point is that the transfers and freshmen i expect to be head and shoulders better to the point it will be a noticeable drop off in performance when they are not in the game (exception expectation being johnson).   it will not make sense to not have the newbies in the game.   i hope i am wrong to the degree that our crewsies are going to rise to the occasion.   if so, it will be a very very good year.   i think a lot of people seem to think because our returnees have played a lot for the previous years that they must have a lot of talent.   remember we werent real good the last three years thus not sure you can equate that previous PT with quality expectations for 17-18.

Funny, I hope you're right.  I've said this before, but ultimately how good we are will be determined by the guys playing 30 minutes per game, not guys that are playing 10-15 minutes per game. If, as you say, there really is a significant jump in talent from our returning players (Roby, Bishop, and Johnson) to our newcomers (Goodwin, FRench, Henriquez, Bess, and Foreman), we will be DAMN good.   

My biggest concern (outside of S2) is that the newcomers are overrated.  It wouldn't be the first time folks on this board have done that and face it, none of us have actually seen these guys play outside of a couple practices. I'm playing devil's advocate here to a degree, but why is Henriequez so much better than Roby? As a sophomore, Henriequez averaged 10 ppg and shot 36% from 3 for a UCF team that went 12-18.  Roby averaged 11 ppg and shot 41% from 3 for a similarly bad team.  

My assumption is that we are probably overrating the newcomers some, but also underrating the returning players some. I still think we will be a good team (assuming everyone is eligible), but how good will depend on if 1 or 2 players can emerge as first-team or second-team all-conference performers.  

31 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Funny, I hope you're right.  I've said this before, but ultimately how good we are will be determined by the guys playing 30 minutes per game, not guys that are playing 10-15 minutes per game. If, as you say, there really is a significant jump in talent from our returning players (Roby, Bishop, and Johnson) to our newcomers (Goodwin, FRench, Henriquez, Bess, and Foreman), we will be DAMN good.   

My biggest concern (outside of S2) is that the newcomers are overrated.  It wouldn't be the first time folks on this board have done that and face it, none of us have actually seen these guys play outside of a couple practices. I'm playing devil's advocate here to a degree, but why is Henriequez so much better than Roby? As a sophomore, Henriequez averaged 10 ppg and shot 36% from 3 for a UCF team that went 12-18.  Roby averaged 11 ppg and shot 41% from 3 for a similarly bad team.  

My assumption is that we are probably overrating the newcomers some, but also underrating the returning players some. I still think we will be a good team (assuming everyone is eligible), but how good will depend on if 1 or 2 players can emerge as first-team or second-team all-conference performers.  

This is my thinking too.  

Even if we are not overestimating the newbies it can take time to form a great team out of talented individuals.....

I'm not buying that Henriquez is head and shoulders above Roby. He has more range on his shot but his shot selection at UCF was poor. He has better handles but so far in his career that hasn't translated into being a good playmaker. And his defense is just adequate, while Roby is no worse than our 2nd best defender.

I think Henriquez will be our leading scorer because Coach Ford is giving our most skilled offensive player the green light. But I would be surprised if he shoots a higher percentage from the floor than Roby.

2 hours ago, NH said:

I think people are really underestimating Roby. He scored 11.7 ppg last year on a team that did not push the pace. That's more than any of the incoming transfers. And for people saying that it was due to the quality of our team I would also point out that Rutgers and UCF weren't a whole lot better. Roby is a good three point shooter. He's a solid defender who could be a terrific defender if he was carrying less of an offensive load, which will presumably the case. He's also our team captain and obvious leader. He's improved a ton over the past couple seasons which often gets lost in the shuffle because of his association with those brutal Crews teams.

I think he'll finish in our top 3 in minutes and start most if not all games.

NH, I think there are just a few blind posters that don't realize what Roby brings to the table. Foremost, Coach has called him a leader on this team.  That should be enough right there. 

If Roby averages 6 1/2 ppg, he will join the 1000 point club.  Only 30 Billikens have reached that level of performance to date.  I'd say that is pretty special.  Roby will likely be top 10 in 3 point field goals made when his career is over.  Again, pretty special.  And if he shoots at near the 40% from the arc he did past season, he will top Scott Highmark's 37.8% career rate, and possibly end up Top10 in that category.  His defense is about as solid as you can ask for.