Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Pistol

Recruiting - 2019

Recommended Posts

Just now, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I’m bracing for more departures. This season isn’t fun to watch and can’t be fun to play

I think we know who you mean, but you seem to intimate more than one. I don't see it except for one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I think we know who you mean, but you seem to intimate more than one. I don't see it except for one. 

If Jacobs departs again I wouldn’t be surprised. He was closest with CG and is still active with him on social media. Also him not playing when we have a depleted roster after being cleared can be a clue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

If Jacobs departs again I wouldn’t be surprised. He was closest with CG and is still active with him on social media. Also him not playing when we have a depleted roster after being cleared can be a clue 

I don't think his leaving will shock anyone at this point. But you said "departures". Got anyone else on your radar? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I think we know who you mean, but you seem to intimate more than one. I don't see it except for one. 

Agreed, I’ll be shocked if anyone other than Jacobs leaves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don't think his leaving will shock anyone at this point. But you said "departures". Got anyone else on your radar? 

 

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Agreed, I’ll be shocked if anyone other than Jacobs leaves. 

I won’t be shocked, because that’s just how basketball goes. I’m just prepping myself. 

Everyone will get solid pt next year so no one would leave for a spot being gone. We just need forwards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep seeing this about Jacobs and playing time. Is he not still injured? I assumed his lack of PT was due to recovery. I thought he was getting a fair amount of PT given the lack of contribution prior to the injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, philliken said:

Not sure if this has been posted, but on Feb 1, there was a report that Welmer is retiring following the season.  Look, it doesn't name sources, and I'm not sure of the credibility of this account.  But they even have a write up about it.

 

https://www.rotowire.com/cbasketball/player.php?id=6582

I don't think any of us expected him to play again; but if true, this can close the book on his scholarship for next year at least.

I want whats best for Elliott's health long-term.  But I would love to see him be able to take the court on Senior Night for one play and ideally get to take a shot.

It makes sense that he would retire.  He's only six months or so away from being eligible to claim Social Security.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

I keep seeing this about Jacobs and playing time. Is he not still injured? I assumed his lack of PT was due to recovery. I thought he was getting a fair amount of PT given the lack of contribution prior to the injury. 

I have the same question. Did Ford or someone on the staff say he was medically cleared to play again or are we just assuming he is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I wrote down verbatim on January 28th, as stated by Coach Ford on the Coach's Show with Rammer.  He did not use the term 'medically cleared'.

Text Question:  What is the extent of Jacobs injury, and will we see Welmer this year.  'Jacobs injury not as serious as first thought.  Surprised it has lingered this long.  Didn't practice today, and he didn't look great running on the side.  Swelling has been out for 4 or more days. He has passed the trainer's tests, so it is on Jacobs when he thinks he can go.  He needs the experience out on the floor."  "Welmer - he still is rehabbing.  Out of his boot.  He is progressing.  "I want him to come back."  He is there every day.  We hope he can come back this year, but it is totally unknown.  If he doesn't, maybe he will come back next year.  We'll talk about that later."  "Before he got hurt, he was going to play significant minutes on this team.  He brings a unique skill set that we don't have."  "It's a long shot for this season, but we are all shooting for it."  "We are looking at a lot of stuff, like different shoes to protect his feet."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were never really in this one, but:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We were never really in this one, but:

 

Jesus, now Ford can't even beat out top P5 schools for a 4* recruit.  We're screwed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We were never really in this one, but:

 

-jeez kid, you go through all that photo shop work yet leave the logo of a school you are not considering on the scoreboard? 

-not sure I would take him now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to keep in mind regarding 2019 recruiting:

as coaches are fired or move on to other jobs, some committed recruits will be released from LOIs. Travis might be able to capitalize on that with some names we aren’t currently considering.  

I’d like to see two more incoming freshmen, one sit-out transfer, and one grad transfer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

One thing to keep in mind regarding 2019 recruiting:

as coaches are fired or move on to other jobs, some committed recruits will be released from LOIs. Travis might be able to capitalize on that with some names we aren’t currently considering.  

I’d like to see two more incoming freshmen, one sit-out transfer, and one grad transfer. 

You’re totally right more specifically my wishlist is 1 freshman guard, 1 freshman big, a JUCO big and a grad transfer big. IM AWARE THATS ALOT TO ASK.  Those bigs just have to be able to eat minutes. One thing I’ve always wondered, how often have players transferred up to division 1 from 2? Would there be some skilled big men who could make that jump? Just thinking out loud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-I want the schollies filled with great players that will take us to the Tourney and set us up for a long, long run of Tourney appearances and advances

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I want the schollies filled with great players that will take us to the Tourney and set us up for a long, long run of Tourney appearances and advances

same.  Damn, great mind 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You’re totally right more specifically my wishlist is 1 freshman guard, 1 freshman big, a JUCO big and a grad transfer big. IM AWARE THATS ALOT TO ASK.  Those bigs just have to be able to eat minutes. One thing I’ve always wondered, how often have players transferred up to division 1 from 2? Would there be some skilled big men who could make that jump? Just thinking out loud.

Zach Hankins at Xavier is probably the best example this season. He was considered one of the best bigs in D-II, averaged 15 and 10 his junior year, and led Ferris State to a national championship. He's 6-11, 245. This season at Xavier, he's averaging 9.8 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks. He's .694 from the field, although he only shoots .585 from the FT line. His two best games, the only two where he reached 20 or more points, both came in conference but he's inconsistent and hasn't scored double-digit points in the past four games.

So the answer based on this sample size of one (although I think he's a good test case) is that the best big men at the D-II level can probably come in and be solid role players on the right rosters. He's doing it at a Big East program that had major roster overhaul after a coach left; there wouldn't be many other opportunities for him to play 21 MPG at power conference programs this season. I think more guys like him could succeed at smaller conference programs. But "major conference role player" is basically the ceiling for these guys.

Another way of looking at it is that D-II is just not fertile ground for finding transfers, and because they have to do a sit year coming from an NCAA school, they're rarely going to be sought except as grad transfers, and even those are relatively uncommon. If I were a coach, I probably wouldn't be devoting any time to looking into D-II programs; a player would have to be brought to my attention.

Juco isn't as deep with talent as it used to be as more guys take fifth years at prep schools to get academics in order or physically ready for D-I. There are plenty of good players to be had among the top 100 or so juco players in the country, but it gets pretty thin pretty quickly as you go down the line, especially when it comes to bigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a general update on the recruiting calendar:

We're currently in a "Recruiting Period", when staff can make in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts and evaluations. This lasts until March 31.

April 1-3 is a "Quiet Period", when in-person recruiting contacts may only take place on the college's campus.

April 4-11 (noon) is a "Dead Period", when no in-person contacts or evaluations can occur, and no campus visits are allowed.

April 11 (noon) through the 14th is another Recruiting Period, followed by two days of Dead Period.

April 17th is when the Signing Period begins, and it goes through May 15th. The first two days of the Signing Period are technically Dead, followed by a six day (4/19-4/24) Recruiting Period, one Quiet day (4/25), and the first NCAA-certified non-scholastic Evaluation Period of the year (4/26-4/28). This is followed by another four day (4/29-5/2) Recruiting Period, which is intended to allow coaches to contact/evaluate recruits immediately after the Evaluation Period events, and the Signing Period ends with an almost two-week Quiet Period (5/3-5/15).

I would expect that the staff is currently seeing as many prospects as possible the rest of this month and March. With four scholarships to give, I expect the back half of April and the first half of May to be very active with recruiting news, and it'll likely continue through June like it did last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year will be the best opportunity since Coach got here to get a two year transfer big.  There is a clear opening in the frontcourt and we have established talent for that player to play with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Zach Hankins at Xavier is probably the best example this season. He was considered one of the best bigs in D-II, averaged 15 and 10 his junior year, and led Ferris State to a national championship. He's 6-11, 245. This season at Xavier, he's averaging 9.8 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks. He's .694 from the field, although he only shoots .585 from the FT line. His two best games, the only two where he reached 20 or more points, both came in conference but he's inconsistent and hasn't scored double-digit points in the past four games.

So the answer based on this sample size of one (although I think he's a good test case) is that the best big men at the D-II level can probably come in and be solid role players on the right rosters. He's doing it at a Big East program that had major roster overhaul after a coach left; there wouldn't be many other opportunities for him to play 21 MPG at power conference programs this season. I think more guys like him could succeed at smaller conference programs. But "major conference role player" is basically the ceiling for these guys.

Another way of looking at it is that D-II is just not fertile ground for finding transfers, and because they have to do a sit year coming from an NCAA school, they're rarely going to be sought except as grad transfers, and even those are relatively uncommon. If I were a coach, I probably wouldn't be devoting any time to looking into D-II programs; a player would have to be brought to my attention.



Juco isn't as deep with talent as it used to be as more guys take fifth years at prep schools to get academics in order or physically ready for D-I. There are plenty of good players to be had among the top 100 or so juco players in the country, but it gets pretty thin pretty quickly as you go down the line, especially when it comes to bigs.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know they had to sit out a year which IIRC isn't the case for transferring down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-I want the schollies filled with great players that will take us to the Tourney and set us up for a long, long run of Tourney appearances and advances

"Order up"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Thanks for the info! I didn't know they had to sit out a year which IIRC isn't the case for transferring down?

Correct.  When transferring down, players don't have to sit out (not sure if that's the case for mid-year transfers).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Thanks for the info! I didn't know they had to sit out a year which IIRC isn't the case for transferring down?

Yanni Wetzell on Vanderbilt transferred from D-II. He has been serviceable but nothing spectacular. I’d take him as a backup big on the Bills for sure though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elliott Welmer is a dedicated and enthusiastic basketball player who happened to break either his foot or ankle during a foreign trip to (I think) Bermuda prior to his first season. This means he did not play that season. The following season he did play. I am not sure if the second break and surgery came at the end of this season or during practice for the following season. This was followed by a LONG period of rehab, and then it was decided he was doing well enough and could start practice again. Nope no good, his third break came during practice. This is a man that wants to play for SLU,  but who knows that if he has another break the consequences may be dire. I think he is correct making this decision, after all he wants to be able to walk more or less normally during the rest of his life.

I think of Welmer as a very talented and very committed person who was brought down by an accident with consequences that could not be reversed despite multiple surgeries. I wish him all the best in his life and career and wish, really wish, he had been able to play more for our team. All the best to you Elliott.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...