Coaching Candidates

JMM28

As for Stallings not being able to make deep runs in the Tournament I agree with those that say it's basically a crap shoot. Too small of a sample size to judge coaches off their NCAA tourney performance in almost all cases. And Stallings does have a Sweet 16 back when they lost to Georgetown ~10 years ago.

He has two Sweet 16s. He lost to eventual champ UConn in the his other.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take Cuonzo as the coach. I just don't think the Dr P wants to stand up at the press conference of his most high profile hire to date and have to answer questions about sexual harassment or deal with the blow back from women's groups on campus.

That will all blow over once we start winning. No one will think twice about it. Cal is run by a bunch of PC nannies and women's groups. Cuonzo would be a clean hire.

Hopefully Stallings is not just using us for a pay raise. It could be sort of a mutual parting.

He checks a lot of boxes - experienced head coach, coached at a good academic school, local, also coached at a "mid major" while at Illinois State, should have built a lot of contacts over the years in terms of recruiting and attracting good assistants. Could be the guy to stay 10 years and build a program to hand off to somebody.

The fact that he did better than most of his counterparts in the SEC against the odds, leads me to believe that he could do just fine in the A-10 against the likes of Dr. John, the goofball from UMass, whoever is coaching at Duquesne, etc.

That will all blow over once we start winning. No one will think twice about it. Cal is run by a bunch of PC nannies and women's groups. Cuonzo would be a clean hire.

Obviously we don't know everything that went down at Cal, but I promise you that the current students at SLU are huge PC police. Trust me on that.

Edit: my point is that a lot of undergrads who know nothing about basketball would read a blurb of something happening at Cal under Martin's watch and berate the administration through anonymous complaints

Obviously we don't know everything that went down at Cal, but I promise you that the current students at SLU are huge PC police. Trust me on that.

Edit: my point is that a lot of undergrads who know nothing about basketball would read a blurb of something happening at Cal under Martin's watch and berate the administration through anonymous complaints

Not advocating for or against it, but college students today are generally the worst

The Cal issue is pretty fresh. Let the dust settle before pointing fingers.

In the meantime, Cal isn't going to let Martin go and no one's going to be interviewing him. This appears to have all been the responsibility of one bad assistant coach. My guess is that there won't be penalties beyond him and Martin will be fine.

Also, instead of blaming students, women's groups, "PC" police - how about acknowledging the creep who harrassed a reporter and tried to get laid in exchange for information? There's no one to blame but him.

We just need a coach who can get us to the tournament.

Stallings would 100% get my vote. People need to be realistic about what kind of coach we can draw here and he's pretty darn high up there. We aren't getting an uber-accomplished coach with multiple elite 8s and no other warts on him.

As for his lack of NCAA success, I suspect a lot of that is just plain bad luck. Give me a coach that gets SLU to the tournament year in and eventually we'll break through. The key is to get there, then let the ball bounce the way it bounces.

Agree with these. The best way to make the S16 and beyond is to always be in the tournament.

who the hell cares about being a sweet 16 program? what does that even mean? Just win games, make tournament. That's all you can do. We are not Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Xavier, WSU, Gonzage, Butler. Just come in top 3 in conference consistently. Make the tournament regularly. Win games in the tournament. Thats all you can ask for.

It's all about making the tournament and getting the paid units. SLU is getting paid through 2020 for the units earned in 2014. I would bet the AD is getting over $5 mil per year for the 3 tourney runs. If we don't make it back in the next few years and that money dries up, budgets are going to hurt. That is why this is a key hire.

Making a sweet 16 and being a sweet 16 program are very different to me. I don't think you become a sweet 16 program without 8-10 years of success

Stallings is a good coach. Always been impressed how he has kept Vandy competitive in the SEC and in the annual discussion for NCAA bids. My excitement level for his hire would be about an 8 on a 10 scale. Martin and Drew would move the needle up pretty high though.

who the hell cares about being a sweet 16 program? what does that even mean? Just win games, make tournament. That's all you can do. We are not Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Xavier, WSU, Gonzage, Butler. Just come in top 3 in conference consistently. Make the tournament regularly. Win games in the tournament. Thats all you can ask for.

Consistently coming in top 3 in the conference and getting to the tournament is different than being like Butler, Xavier, Gonzaga, WSU????

I think we can ask for more than that. However, I think that's where it begins. Making the tourney on a consistent basis should get you better recruits which should then enable you to make a deeper run.