Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanting a "top flight" coach isn't the same as getting one. You can want all you want. Doesn't change the reality that SLU can't attract a coach that will have that immediate of an impact (Elite 8 in 3-4 years - your standard). How could anyone, by the way, take this bottomed-out program to the Elite 8 by 2019? Everyone wants to see SLU have that kind of success, but be realistic.

Let me reiterate: the opportunity to hire a "top flight" coach does not equal the ability or the actuality of hiring one.

Since the hiring of Coach Majerus I believe it can happen again. Not only was coach Majerus was top flight he was a coaching legend. SLU facilities are top flight and they are in a good conference and that should once again give SLU a real good shot. SLU should have several good coaching options to choose from. I agree with your comments of the elite 8 timeline, even a legend like coach Majerus took time to get to the big dance. This is all exciting good stuff and I really look forward to the day the new coach is announced.

Who is this coach to take us to the Elite 8 in 3 years? Izzo is not coming here.

Drew? I would love Drew to come here, but come on...why do you expect him to be taking us to the Elite 8 in 3 years?

Martin? Why? He has a strong class next year but hasn't been to an Elite 8 before.

Anyone else?

It took Cal 8 years to get Memphis to the Elite Eight, but people expect some kind of quicker journey around here while running a clean program.

Read the state of UCLA further down that thread. You will see a lot of similarities between Alford and Crews. We don't want Alford, and we don't want Lavin. Howland would have been nice. Beard hopefully. Barkley just paid him a huge compliment on how he adjusts to the game.

Alford is a terrible coach. I've never seen anyone fail upward like that guy. He puts Gregory to shame in that department.

Alford has at least won multiple conference championships and hes been to the Sweet 16 three times. Gregory has won 1 NCAA tournament game in 13 seasons.