Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slick Rick is forced to resign at UL. Pitino, being a devout Catholic, is picked up while he is down at 1.5 a year. We get bigs who can dunk again. Just win, baby!

My pipe dream for the New Year.

Fixed it.

If SLU were to pick up Rick Pitino — it will never happen — they'd wind up on probation for whatever he was able to get away with Louisville and Kentucky.

Slick Rick is forced to resign at UL. Pitino, being a devout Catholic, is picked up while he is down at 1.5 a year. We get bigs who can dunk again. Just win, baby!

My dream for the New Year.

Even though we now have lay president and the Jesuits are considered to be on the liberal side of the Catholicism spectrum, I think direct involvement with adulatory, abortion and prostitution might be a little too much for SLU's administration.

. We do NOT need a Majerus/grandfather clone as coach!!!

The Majerus/grandfather model only resulted in the three greatest Billikens' seasons in the modern era!

The exact same scenario has been unfolding for a few years at formerly moribund SMU under Larry "Grand Dad" Brown. I believe he is 73 y.o.; SMU is 11-0, and currently ranked 17th in the AP poll. Sounds like a winning model.

PJ Carlesimo fits this mold. Who else?

The Majerus/grandfather model only resulted in the three greatest Billikens' seasons in the modern era!

The exact same scenario has been unfolding for a few years at formerly moribund SMU under Larry "Grand Dad" Brown. I believe he is 73 y.o.; SMU is 11-0, and currently ranked 17th in the AP poll. Sounds like a winning model.

?

I get where you're coming from, but SLU has a better chance of playing in the NCAA Tournament this season than SMU, because Larry Brown's "winning model" got SMU banned from postseason play this year. It also got Brown suspended for the beginning of the season.

As bad as this season has been, having a good team that is banned from postseason sounds pretty terrible as well.

I get where you're coming from, but SLU has a better chance of playing in the NCAA Tournament this season than SMU, because Larry Brown's "winning model" got SMU banned from postseason play this year. It also got Brown suspended for the beginning of the season.

As bad as this season has been, having a good team that is banned from postseason sounds pretty terrible as well.[/quote

Agreed. Would hate to go like 26-4 with no place to go in post season. We can keep it clean and win. Sadly, I don't see a Majerus in the ex ranks today. Howland might have been the nearest to him, but he's gone. Pitino? At SLU? That's not a pipe dream, it's delusional.

Agreed. Would hate to go like 26-4 with no place to go in post season. We can keep it clean and win. Sadly, I don't see a Majerus in the ex ranks today. Howland might have been the nearest to him, but he's gone. Pitino? At SLU? That's not a pipe dream, it's delusional.

I don't see a Majerus in the available crop either. Carlesimo hasn't coached in college in 20 years. If you're looking for an available, experienced coach with a collection of NCAA Tournament appearances, I'd suggest Herb Sendek. The guy has 400 career wins, 8 NCAA tournament appearances, and 10 NIT appearances in 22 seasons. I think that's the best you get if you go the experienced coach route. By the way, Sendek's still only 52, 53 by start of next season.

I don't see a Majerus in the available crop either. Carlesimo hasn't coached in college in 20 years. If you're looking for an available, experienced coach with a collection of NCAA Tournament appearances, I'd suggest Herb Sendek. The guy has 400 career wins, 8 NCAA tournament appearances, and 10 NIT appearances in 22 seasons. I think that's the best you get if you go the experienced coach route. By the way, Sendek's still only 52, 53 by start of next season.

I could get down with that

I like this choice...plus he is part of the Pitino coaching tree and available. Last 3 years...NIT, NCAA, NIT all 2nd round finishes. ASU didn't like that NIT finish last year and fired him. Would anybody here take an NIT finish?

I like this choice...plus he is part of the Pitino coaching tree and available. Last 3 years...NIT, NCAA, NIT all 2nd round finishes. ASU didn't like that NIT finish last year and fired him. Would anybody here take an NIT finish?

At this point I'd take .500.

I like Herb Sendek also. Had success in the ACC & Pac12, he do well in the A10.

My dream-

Celtics go into a tailspin and they dump Stevens. Up to now he only been mediocre as a pro coach and Celtic fans want and are used to championships.

This is completely false. Stevens has already established himself as an upper-echelon NBA coach, and as a Celtics fan I couldn't be happier considering the talent on the roster

If Stevens returns to college it will be only for one job, Indiana.

He wouldn't go back to Greencastle? DePauw is a D-III powerhouse* They just defeated Allegheny for their 4th straight win!

• 2015 NCAC Tournament Champions
  • 15 NCAA appearances
  • 2 Division III final four appearances
  • 3 NCAA appearances in last decade
  • 2 SCAC championships

What I heard from my New England friends if Stevens does not make the playoffs this season, he only holding on by the skin of his teeth right now, he will be history, Remember in the NBA they are a lot less forgiving then in college especially a program like the Celtics.