Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Cuonzo Martin's name appearing a lot during the last coaching search. He went to Missouri State, then to Tennessee, now at Cal.

Skinner is 63, Greenberg is 59, Dambrot is 57. Do we really want another old guy who is close to retirement?

Well, here's a list from Torch (scroll down)

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11812&page=2

And here's a whole thread

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11734

Anyone else who wants to kill some time, here's the point at which Brad had been fired and we were looking

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showforum=101&prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all&page=480

Complete pipe dream but could we possibly lure Lon Kruger of Oklahoma? He has been a coach who has rebuilt multiple programs and left UNLV while they were still pretty good. Buddy Hield is gone after this season and they look like they might take a step back. Maybe SLU could fulfill his itch to rebuild another program and take a 6th different school to the tournament.

Well, here's a list from Torch (scroll down)

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11812&page=2

And here's a whole thread

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11734

Anyone else who wants to kill some time, here's the point at which Brad had been fired and we were looking

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showforum=101&prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all&page=480

Some of the topics in the last link are great reads... knowing what we know now. heh.

So let's imagine....

After the RI game, Chris May is cruising on the internet and stumbles upon Billiken .com. After reading a few hundred posts suddenly realizes ...1 we suck ..and... 2 fire Crews. So he gets on the phone and starts making calls. After only a few dozen calls he finds the perfect new leader for the Bills. He makes a verbal agreement with him today. But, for a number of reasons he can't make the anouncement till March. May realizes it will be a PR nightmare for the next few months as "the Bills suck and fire Crews" posts will swell into the thousands. Some MBMs have already stopped reading the Board and are reconnecting with their families or actually playing basketball...oh the horror. But May decides that even with the bad PR the ship will right itself once the new Coach is announced...Furthermore, season ticket money isn't due till the summer so the new splashy hire will have 4 months to repair the damage and build excitement. Even Billiken.com returns to normal when a new thread appears in the Spring...."Big East ..Are We Too Good For Them?"

And The Bills lived happily ever after.

Complete pipe dream but could we possibly lure Lon Kruger of Oklahoma? He has been a coach who has rebuilt multiple programs and left UNLV while they were still pretty good. Buddy Hield is gone after this season and they look like they might take a step back. Maybe SLU could fulfill his itch to rebuild another program and take a 6th different school to the tournament.

As I watch OU and KU play one of the best regular season games I've seen in quite some time, I can't figure out why Dick Vitale hasn't mentioned krugers pending move to SLU yet. :)

What would you think of Paul Biancardi?

Light on coaching experience but certainly has a wealth of connections from being the director of scouting with ESPN. Would certainly be outside the box but I wouldn't hate it. Had a year under Majerus here which is an added bonus.

What would you think of Paul Biancardi?

Pauly B in the Double Breasted with Sneakers on for Coaches vs. Cancer is unbeatable.

Dredging up these guys....Pete Gillen

Retreads

So based on my calculations the board wants

1. Drew Diener

2. Jamall Walker

3. Sendek

4. Jedi Force Ghost Majerus

5. other guys not named Diener

In terms of older guys that had success at high majors, I know Seth Greenberg was already brought up. I'd actually be fine with him at this point. He had decent success at Va Tech, and probably should have had more than one NCAA appearance during his tenure there. (Constantly getting to NIT while being on the bubble.) Also, when he was fired, he actually had a commitment from Montrezl Harrell. Of course, Harrell backed out and went to Louisville. As SLU-Nick said up thread, Tech doesn't have a great tradition of basketball success.

Another old dude with a proven record is Al Skinner. He is in his first year at Kennesaw State after not having a head coaching gig since being fired at BC in 2010. Boston College has sucked since then and is on its second head coach since canning him. Apparently, a lot of the reason Skinner has been on the outside looking in is due to Boston Globe's Bob Ryan portraying him as lazy, mostly due to the hard work his assistants gave on the recruiting trail. (Skinner actually has a pretty good coaching tree going.)

Both would be disastrous hires for SLU.

No old retreads who were fired from their last jobs for a lack of success, you know, like the current coach.

A side note on Drew Diener........

We will probably soon have another wave of Dieners that will be making their way to a college campus near you. Drew has a cousin John averaging over 20 ppg as a high school sophomore in Wisconsin. A 6'4" gaurd who is supposed to be pretty talented. He already has D1 offers from Milwaukee and Green Bay. Supposedly offers from Marquette and Wisconsin are coming. The kid plays for his dad (Drew's uncle) at Cedarburg.

I took a look at realtimerpi and looked at traditionally weaker schools to see what teams are on an upward trajectory. Here are the coaches for those teams:

Scott Cross - UT Arlington (previously mentioned by waldo)

Randy Bennett - St. Mary's (unfortunately, SLU is not likely an upgrade to St. Mary's at this point. It would have been when Crews was hired permanently)

Scott Nagy - SDSU (previously mentioned)

Ron Hunter - Georgia St.

Matt McCall - UT Chattanooga (has only been there one year)

Chris Beard - Ark. Little Rock

Tommy Amaker - Harvard (down year this year, but 20+ wins the last 5 seasons).

I took a look at realtimerpi and looked at traditionally weaker schools to see what teams are on an upward trajectory. Here are the coaches for those teams:

Scott Cross - UT Arlington (previously mentioned by waldo)

Randy Bennett - St. Mary's (unfortunately, SLU is not likely an upgrade to St. Mary's at this point. It would have been when Crews was hired permanently)

Scott Nagy - SDSU (previously mentioned)

Ron Hunter - Georgia St.

Matt McCall - UT Chattanooga (has only been there one year)

Chris Beard - Ark. Little Rock

Tommy Amaker - Harvard (down year this year, but 20+ wins the last 5 seasons).

Unless Ron Hunter has another son, no thanks.