Coaching Candidates

JMM28

My somewhat realistic wish is that Groce is the next coach. Obviously requires him getting canned by Illinois which seems quite possible to me. He is a good coach that has gotten unlucky with significant injuries and is all over the local recruiting scene. I think he'd step right in and maybe even salvage the 2017 recruiting class. Also think he will have had had his fair share of the "big lights" of the Big 10 and won't be as much of a flight risk should he turn it around here and get us back to the dance.

yep.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my worst dilemma, we have a dozen conference games left, Crews squeaks out 5 more wins. I would never expected wins against GWU & Davidson, so you never know.

He might not be going anywhere.

Strangely I have a similar nightmare. I just hope that the school is not confused over what they might be seeing. Look, next year AY is gone who is going to replace his 28 points he had to get for us to beat Davidson? Bishop had 18 or so points and Hines did to so to expect them to pick up the slack is not realistic. No. Crews still has to go no matter what happens the rest of the year - he still can not recruit and giving him another year will simply create an even barer cupboard when he gets fired the next year for the same lousy record.

Strangely I have a similar nightmare. I just hope that the school is not confused over what they might be seeing. Look, next year AY is gone who is going to replace his 28 points he had to get for us to beat Davidson? Bishop had 18 or so points and Hines did to so to expect them to pick up the slack is not realistic. No. Crews still has to go no matter what happens the rest of the year - he still can not recruit and giving him another year will simply create an even barer cupboard when he gets fired the next year for the same lousy record.

I have the same nightmare too but I am afraid that will be the case especially if the team can some how finish even in the conference. But then I look at the home attendance and think there is no way SLU will keep coach Crews, he is a total buzz kill and it shows with all of the empty seats. Here is a shot in the dark, I noticed the Cleveland fired two coaches yesterday with a winning record. Does anyone know who this coach is? Also is Drew of Valpo a good candidate? If Drew is, can SLU make a offer so good that Drew would leave?

Look at the state of programs he took over and where they ended up. The guy has a track record of turnarounds and success (and regular season titles in 1 bid leagues).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tod_Kowalczyk

Regular Season Title as in 1 in 13 years

also his name is spelled wrong

try again B-Law your like Marquette-guese someone mentions the name and you show up to comment except your not funny and we're not Wynona Rider

Look at the state of programs he took over and where they ended up. The guy has a track record of turnarounds and success (and regular season titles in 1 bid leagues).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tod_Kowalczyk

Regular season title was a tie. Not good enough.

Regular Season Title as in 1 in 13 years

also his name is spelled wrong

try again B-Law your like Marquette-guese someone mentions the name and you show up to comment except your not funny and we're not Wynona Rider

In English please....

I'm not saying he'd be the best candidate but he's taken 2 downtrodden programs and made them quite competitive in a short time. Isn't that the profile we're looking for considering the current state of the program?

If someone can recruit talent to and win at hell holes like Green Bay and Toledo they could do quite well with the resources SLU has.

It comes down to what the administration wants: a retread fired at his previous job (Crews), a young but likely unproven assistant, or an established head coach with a track record of program building and success.

If there is someone with a rational answer, I would like to know how to solve the 'white elephant' that is in the room. Crews contract runs thru 17-18. So that is two more years following this one. I have no idea how much he makes. We were lead to believe Coach Majerus was in the $1MM area. So Crews was likely signed for less. My guess, and this is a pure guess, is that it is between $750,000 and $500,000 per year. If SLU owes Crews $1.5 MM to $1.0 MM and then signs another coach $3/4 MM, you would be looking at potentially a $2.5 million dollar outlay next year. Does the university have that much spare change in the athletic department budget?

If there is someone with a rational answer, I would like to know how to solve the 'white elephant' that is in the room. Crews contract runs thru 17-18. So that is two more years following this one. I have no idea how much he makes. We were lead to believe Coach Majerus was in the $1MM area. So Crews was likely signed for less. My guess, and this is a pure guess, is that it is between $750,000 and $500,000 per year. If SLU owes Crews $1.5 MM to $1.0 MM and then signs another coach $3/4 MM, you would be looking at potentially a $2.5 million dollar outlay next year. Does the university have that much spare change in the athletic department budget?

Many contracts have buyout clauses that make it easier to terminate the contacts early. One I worked on paid only one year for early termination regardless of the number of years left, so don't assume SLU automatically owes Crews for the entirety of his contract. It depends how good of an agent Crews has.

All these contracts have a buy outs in them for both sides. Usually the buy out is for much less than the salary. I would not be surprised - I do not know - that the buy out is around 500K.

Ben Jacobson from Northern Iowa. We can double his Salary and it would be less than RM was making. Get it done.

Not quite. He just signed a 10 year deal that averages $900K a year

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/northern-iowa/2015/05/04/ben-jacobson-northern-iowa-new-contract-details-missouri-valley-buyout/26904355/

"The yearly base salary is $400,000, plus a media fee of $200,000 and longevity pay of $125,000, as well as other possible bonuses.

Jacobson and his agent cannot seek, discuss or negotiate with another school about a coaching vacancy without notifying athletic director Troy Dannen.

If Jacobson leaves UNI for another school before May 31, 2017, the Panthers would be owed 50 percent of whatever dollar amount remains on the contract. The buyout dips to 40 percent if Jacobson departs prior to May 31, 2019, and 30 percent prior to 2024.

Jacobson will have use of a courtesy vehicle for personal or business use. If a vehicle is not available, he is entitled to an allowance of $600 per month.

The coach is provided golf club membership to Beaver Hills Country Club and Sunnyside Country Club."

Has anyone brought up Scott Nagy of South Dakota State? He makes $200K,Forbes lists him as #1 for cost per win AND SD state law apparently prohibits multi year contracts.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/fiei45idl/no-1-scott-nagy-south-dakota-state-2/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Nagy