Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Some of the dumbest, ugliest posts, ever, on this and the FireJimCrews thread, though mostly from the same rotation of bitter frustrated lil dumb posters, so I guess that is to be expected. I am embarrassed to be a SLU grad when reading some of the despicable statements posted here, making things up, taking one word and making assumptions to the 11th detail, like a sophomore at Viz.

At this point, yes, we have a bad team. Majerus is gone. Small minds blame Crews 99%, Jolly the other 1%.

Some of you need to watch college hoops for 10 years, read 50 books on the subject (3x each), hang out with some intelligent, knowledgeable grown ups, and then post again, say, on Dec. 24, 2025.

I'm curious. What do BIG minds blame it on??

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the dumbest, ugliest posts, ever, on this and the FireJimCrews thread, though mostly from the same rotation of bitter frustrated lil dumb posters, so I guess that is to be expected. I am embarrassed to be a SLU grad when reading some of the despicable statements posted here, making things up, taking one word and making assumptions to the 11th detail, like a sophomore at Viz.

At this point, yes, we have a bad team. Majerus is gone. Small minds blame Crews 99%, Jolly the other 1%.

Some of you need to watch college hoops for 10 years, read 50 books on the subject (3x each), hang out with some intelligent, knowledgeable grown ups, and then post again, say, on Dec. 24, 2025.

Good to see we got Donald Trump's take on the Crews situation.

So let's say there was a promising Div 1 head coach we were considering.

Here is what his first 3 years look like in his current job.....

Year.......................Conference .....................Overall

1................................10-8.................................12-20

2.................................5-13..................................10-21

3.................................5-15...................................11-21

Hmmm......this is looking kind of familiar....particularly if projected out through year 3....Well, let's keep going

4..................................13-7....................................18-15

5.. (current).................1-1.........................................9-3

In the current year, his team has a B+ rating and will probably make the Big Dance, either on an auto bid or their own merit.

The coach's team has played the 21st toughest schedule in the nation and has upset some ranked teams.

The Coach is King Rice.

He has generated a lot of interest recently as a possible new head coach for a number of schools next year.

The purpose of this post is not to promote the continuation of the Crews era....They have similar records over the first 3 years.

Nor is it to promote King Rice as our next Head Coach. The purpose of this post is to pose the following question....How much patience do Bills fans have? Monmouth fans and supporters certainly could not have been happy with Rice's first 3 years. Had Rice come here 3 years ago and posted those same numbers would there have been a 4th Billiken year?

Again, the purpose of this post is to ask the question ....how much patience do Bills fans and supporters have (or should have)?

Had Rice come here 3 years ago and posted those same numbers would there have been a 4th Billiken year?

Hell no!

But, King Rice didn't inherit a program that had just come off of 3 straight NCAA tournament seasons and had consistently been ranked in the top 25.

Crews is gone! Period. The only debatable point is the time table.

Of course, King Rice may not be the best replacement.

One would also have to look at the overall development of Rice's teams. For example, scoring only 20 points in RMs first year, Bills fans were patient and he had two of the best players we've seen in the last 20 years, KL and TL. We could see what he was trying to accomplish. Then there was the setback year, again the the team was growing thru out the season. All we've seen from Crews's teams is regression.

Can anyone honestly say, they feel confident that this team is showing any sign of grasping his system? Any one player that is honing his skills to play at this level? I guess you could say Miles, but then he benches him along with Crawford who has the soundest basics of any player. If there's a direction in mind and you are seeing progress made, three seasons maybe acceptable, but we don't have any of that right now.

When we were 4-0, Miles and Crawford played a lot more. They both should be playing at least 30 minutes a game.

It looks like Crawford was good in 2 of those 4 games. Our best player during that stretch was Ash who averaged 15.75 points and 8 rebounds in 30.75 minutes. Miles was the spark in a number of those games averaging 13 points in 27.25 minutes. Miles brings great energy, but it is tough to know what production to expect since so much of his offensive production is based on drawing fouls; 22 of his 52 points during that stretch or 42.31% was on free throws. If he doesn't draw fouls and the result is just wild drives with low percentage shots, he is not as productive. I do think he needs to play significant minutes because he can make things happen on both ends of the court. During that stretch Crawford averaged 11 points on 27.75 minutes and Milik averaged 10.50 points and 7.75 rebounds in 24 minutes. We won those games largely because we had the ability to get in the lane for easy points at the rim or drew fouls which wasn't necessarily within the offense since it was just pure 1 on 1 plays (Ash, Miles, or Milik). I think teams have scouted that and are forcing us to score from the perimeter and we aren't doing that although Roby with his jacked shot has been making some 3s of late.

It is hard to know what our primary lineup should be, but if we are going on what worked those opening 4 games it would certainly include playing Ash, Miles, Crawford, and Milik the most minutes. I would probably play a lineup of Miles, Roby, Ash, Milik, and Reggie (or Gillmann or Neufeld) with Crawford as the 6th man and see how that goes. Our bigs are just so bad that I think our best shot is limiting their minutes and only having one of them on the court at one time. They don't bring any production and are so soft defensively that we really can't hurt ourselves much by playing small.

Who knows what the heck Crews is thinking with his rotation. Miles should be a mainstay on the court unless he's in foul trouble. MR's overall shooting percentage is 50% (52% from 2 pt and 38% from 3 point). His defense isn't great, but who on our team plays good D?

MC is probably our best all-around player at this point. He hasn't been in foul trouble the last 3 games. I don't care if he's shooting 0-15 during a game, MC should be on the court 30+ min.

Who knows what the heck Crews is thinking with his rotation. Miles should be a mainstay on the court unless he's in foul trouble. MR's overall shooting percentage is 50% (52% from 2 pt and 38% from 3 point). His defense isn't great, but who on our team plays good D?

MC is probably our best all-around player at this point. He hasn't been in foul trouble the last 3 games. I don't care if he's shooting 0-15 during a game, MC should be on the court 30+ min.

Our defense is bad in almost every aspect. I was wondering if we should just play a zone. We have some guards with length, but no quickness at all to defend dribble penetration (and then our bigs don't contest at all in help defense, the help is inconsistent, and the rotations to help the helper and so forth are lost).

I am not a big fan of Mike Crawford, so I don't care how much he plays. At least he can make perimeter shots at times though.

Our defense is bad in almost every aspect. I was wondering if we should just play a zone. We have some guards with length, but no quickness at all to defend dribble penetration (and then our bigs don't contest at all in help defense, the help is inconsistent, and the rotations to help the helper and so forth are lost).

I am not a big fan of Mike Crawford, so I don't care how much he plays. At least he can make perimeter shots at times though.

Bigs not contesting at the rim is squarely on the coaching staff. Our bigs are instructed by the staff to stay on the ground and not go after blocked shots. "Play my way or don't get on the floor" Crews's strategy of breaking players down and rebuilding them to play a specific role is the primary reason players are not playing to their potential. I am unaware of a single player who likes playing for this guy. He has put in a read and react offensive scheme complete with a plethera of restrictions. Kids spend more thinking what they are not allowed to do then simply learning to run the offense instinctively. Get rid of Crews today and let Calbert take over. At least we will see the players compete for Calbert.

So let's say there was a promising Div 1 head coach we were considering.

Here is what his first 3 years look like in his current job.....

Year.......................Conference .....................Overall

1................................10-8.................................12-20

2.................................5-13..................................10-21

3.................................5-15...................................11-21

Hmmm......this is looking kind of familiar....particularly if projected out through year 3....Well, let's keep going

4..................................13-7....................................18-15

5.. (current).................1-1.........................................9-3

In the current year, his team has a B+ rating and will probably make the Big Dance, either on an auto bid or their own merit.

The coach's team has played the 21st toughest schedule in the nation and has upset some ranked teams.

The Coach is King Rice.

He has generated a lot of interest recently as a possible new head coach for a number of schools next year.

The purpose of this post is not to promote the continuation of the Crews era....They have similar records over the first 3 years.

Nor is it to promote King Rice as our next Head Coach. The purpose of this post is to pose the following question....How much patience do Bills fans have? Monmouth fans and supporters certainly could not have been happy with Rice's first 3 years. Had Rice come here 3 years ago and posted those same numbers would there have been a 4th Billiken year?

Again, the purpose of this post is to ask the question ....how much patience do Bills fans and supporters have (or should have)?

The thing is that the past 2 years have not had the results Rice have had. Last year we finished in last place. There is no excuse for that. It's absolutely unbelievable. The only shocking thing about this year is that Crews still has the job. He sucks. Crews sucks.

It should be obvious that the game has blown on past Crews, he is recruiting a pile of stiffs and role-player guards. I like Roby and Miles and Crawford, but let's be real here: these guys are decent roleplayers, With good supporting cast they could form a competitive backcourt/slasher group. The inside play is unbelievable. Yarbrough's best quality is his ability to create blocking records for opposing players. Our centers just look bad, Welmer excluded. Are we honestly going to compare that cast to what we had in Reed and Loe? We saw what happened when Majerus inherited such players: Knollmeyer and Thompson were GONE.

One would also have to look at the overall development of Rice's teams. For example, scoring only 20 points in RMs first year, Bills fans were patient and he had two of the best players we've seen in the last 20 years, KL and TL. We could see what he was trying to accomplish. Then there was the setback year, again the the team was growing thru out the season. All we've seen from Crews's teams is regression.

Can anyone honestly say, they feel confident that this team is showing any sign of grasping his system? Any one player that is honing his skills to play at this level? I guess you could say Miles, but then he benches him along with Crawford who has the soundest basics of any player. If there's a direction in mind and you are seeing progress made, three seasons maybe acceptable, but we don't have any of that right now.

Majerus was also a proven genius and actually told us what was up; we hear nothing real from Crews and the media outlet has been shut off. SLU basketball is dying right now. This spells bigger problems than just this season.

Majerus was hilarious and had a proven plan and brought in some real talent. We have seen nothing from Crews, and no media output whatsoever. SLU basketball has fallen off the map even faster than we got back on it.

Defending this is absolutely insane. Don't blame the players, blame Jim Crews. Fire Crews NOW!

You are a clown. The only personal attacks I have seen on here are attacks on Jolly. He earned them with his "T" in the ISU game. Personal failure. Yarbrough flat-out has tunnel vision, I don't know if the seeming selfishness is just frustration, lack of court awareness, or what. I will guess it is a combination of just wanting to 'do something' when things are not going well and a lack of leadership on the court to create a cohesive shot-generating offense. The players personally do not deserve abuse. These are solid dudes and guys getting somewhere in life. Noone has at any point said otherwise to the best of my knowledge. The on-court performance is open to criticism. Noone is more aware of the on-court failure than the kids in the locker room. Do you think they are stupid and unaware of what has happened the past few games?

I've been watching college hoops for a quarter of a century. Do you think I need to read a bunch of books to realize that home blowouts by UT-Martin are unacceptable? Who are these "Intelligent, knowledgeable grownups" what does that even mean? Troll.