Changes in Branding for Athletics

It sounds like I may be ok with many of the changes but I think the notion of "strengthening" a mascot is silly on so many levels. Beyond my aesthetic aversion; this is such a cliche--every team with RPI's over 200 and tons of D-III schools have been "strengthening" their mascots for twenty years. The result is an incredible loss of originality (the UMass mascot carried a frickin' gun and it was deemed not strong enough but now they have a meathead with broad shoulders so obviously "stronger"). All they seem to do is simplify the lines and add lots of black shadow to the "design". Rebranding without creativity.

Our current "brand" has won 3 national titles (other) (again), an Elite 8 and also has had a few sweet 16 appearances ; will our new brand do that? I hope so but I doubt it.

I agree with this, for the most part. The 'fiercer' trend has led to a lot of logos looking the same, with bold black lines and the appearance of motion. I'm not wild about the current Billiken (especially the actual mascot suit) but it's still pretty unique, which is its primary strength. I'm not sure it's ever looked better than this:

vwhm126hegg40hijdp9t.gif

And I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly tweaked version of that.

From what I can tell, the SLUH logo is actually more in line with what Billiken figures have historically looked like - seated position, prominent belly, grinning, big cheeks.

photo-100015.gif?_r=1341203677

I guess my fear is it becoming too modern-college-sports-logo generic. UMass is a good example, as are all the various animals high schools rip off from colleges without fear of consequences:

CollegeOffenders.jpg

So I hope whatever they choose honors what makes the Billiken so charming and unique instead of trying to streamline it with other college sports logos, thereby instantly dating it. Not necessarily a throwback, per se (such as the melting lawn gnome look below), but something that capitalizes on its originality.

RetroBilliken.jpg

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can confirm this. The 2nd and 3rd designs are as follows: 2nd and 3rd. (Sorry, the images are huge.)

Steve Edit: Warning to posters, some images may not be suitable for work

If you work somewhere they frown on these images, you probably need a new job anyways.

On the actual mascot - those are supposed to be enjoyable for kids. I really don't see much problem with the Billiken mascot in that regard. It is very approachable for kids of all ages.

As for the logo, I assume that they will keep with the times and have a main logo, a secondary, and maybe another alternate logo.

I don't know much but what I do know is it may not be a traditionalists cup of tea. I believe the aim is to draw in new younger fans

Agreed! I used to be more of a traditionalist when it came to uniforms, team logos, etc. I have come to realize that the bulk of the players like a little more flashiness. It's one thing to stay traditional, but it's another to be dated. I personally love the occasional black or grey uniform. So many schools are doing it and there is a reason for that. I never thought a school like Notre Dame could pull it off, but they succeeded in it. They have made the helmets more gold and the Shamrock Series uniforms every year are really cool.

I don't know much but what I do know is it may not be a traditionalists cup of tea. I believe the aim is to draw in new younger fans

I've heard something similar as well, students in the B School (sports business and marketing) have been telling the AD to start drawing in a younger fan base for a while now. Let's face it, the majority of the billiken fan base isn't getting any younger...

Yeah those flashy new Duke and UK uniforms must be what's bringing nr recruits.

I know uniforms are less traditional on the basketball side than football but I'm not for something that's really busy and tacky.

On the football side most of the power house teams have very traditional uniforms that are largely unchanged for years.

If SLU is winning while you're a student you'll probably be a bigger fan during your life.

Agreed! I used to be more of a traditionalist when it came to uniforms, team logos, etc. I have come to realize that the bulk of the players like a little more flashiness. It's one thing to stay traditional, but it's another to be dated. I personally love the occasional black or grey uniform. So many schools are doing it and there is a reason for that. I never thought a school like Notre Dame could pull it off, but they succeeded in it. They have made the helmets more gold and the Shamrock Series uniforms every year are really cool.

Slight updates to classic uniforms are to me the best looking things. Check out the new Bucks uniforms. Those are nice.

They don't need a radical new design. They have historical designs that are fine, with a little modernization they would be iconic logos. I have my doubts whether SLU can pull this off right.

Slight updates to classic uniforms are to me the best looking things. Check out the new Bucks uniforms. Those are nice.

They don't need a radical new design. They have historical designs that are fine, with a little modernization they would be iconic logos. I have my doubts whether SLU can pull this off right.

Hire an outside company with some experience in this (maybe they have and I'm not aware). Like you said, they could really knock this out of the park with the right design/approach.

Hire an outside company with some experience in this (maybe they have and I'm not aware). Like you said, they could really knock this out of the park with the right design/approach.

I like the Atlanta Hawks decision to go entirely retro back to the old inverse Pac Man looking logo. Fans love nostalgia. Why not make it mainstream and part of the branding/marketing nomenclature?

hawks-logo-2014.jpg

If you work somewhere they frown on these images, you probably need a new job anyways.

On the actual mascot - those are supposed to be enjoyable for kids. I really don't see much problem with the Billiken mascot in that regard. It is very approachable for kids of all ages.

I never thought about those being NSFW. Just cartoons.

Anyway, I've definitely seen the Billiken approach kids, who immediately burst into tears from fright. I can't imagine what that huge, grinning, stretched-out stark white face must look like when you're two years old. Then again, plenty of kids seem to love it. (My own take on the current mascot is that the head is too angular; Billikens seem a little rounder traditionally. Maybe that would make it less frightening to kids. I don't know.)

Still no teasers from the preview the other day? I'm anxious to see some designs.

Going purely off memory, but I recall the current Billiken being "updated" by Mike Peters, the comics artist/creator of Mother Goose & Grimm at the request of Debbie Yow in the early 1980's. Prior to that, I remember the Billiken mascot as being a tall guy wearing a tuxedo with the big white Billken head. Anyone have a picture to show that mascot?

Anyway, the features were definitely changed to go from a round features to the current pointed features designed by Mike Peters. Also, the consensus was very favorable toward the changes by Mr. Peters. The rest of the outfit (tennis shoes, sweatshirt, etc.) also helped to make the Billiken younger, friendlier and sportier, especially when compared to the stiff, more scary Billiken mascot from the 1970's and prior. Board historians like Roy, Taj, SLU72, etc, please help me out on this.

As to the future, its has been 35 years or so, so yes, I am in favor of another version.

I never thought about those being NSFW. Just cartoons.

Anyway, I've definitely seen the Billiken approach kids, who immediately burst into tears from fright. I can't imagine what that huge, grinning, stretched-out stark white face must look like when you're two years old. Then again, plenty of kids seem to love it. (My own take on the current mascot is that the head is too angular; Billikens seem a little rounder traditionally. Maybe that would make it less frightening to kids. I don't know.)

Still no teasers from the preview the other day? I'm anxious to see some designs.

-Santa Claus has the same impact on many youngsters

I agree with this, for the most part. The 'fiercer' trend has led to a lot of logos looking the same, with bold black lines and the appearance of motion. I'm not wild about the current Billiken (especially the actual mascot suit) but it's still pretty unique, which is its primary strength. I'm not sure it's ever looked better than this:

vwhm126hegg40hijdp9t.gif

And I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly tweaked version of that.

To me, that would be ideal. This one is a little dated, but with a slight refresh it would look really good. I like that it captures the essence of what a Billiken is without being too cutesy. It looks a little more mischievous than other incarnations of the logo, and I think that's a good thing. Perhaps it could be revised to look a little more aggressive, but I don't think that's totally necessary. Its philtrum (area under the nose) is a bit pronounced, but it would probably look weird (okay, weirder - Billikens are inherently weird) without anything there.

The crown connects the Billiken with the SLU name in a subtle way - this is particularly useful when it comes to broadcasts of athletic events, when the Billiken is featured by itself without any mention of the school.

I'm a fan of nickname on the home jersey and city on the road jersey.

Billikens in cursive slanted across the front for home would be cool. An alternative jersey with just the Billilken head would be sick. Kinda like Richmond did with the spider.

Billikens in cursive slanted across the front for home would be cool. An alternative jersey with just the Billilken head would be sick. Kinda like Richmond did with the spider.

Yes, I'm also a big fan of that idea. Gonzaga has one like that.

Having been a fan only since I began attending (in 2007), what are the best retro jersey looks that we could modify? I love the idea of updating a classic look, but I'm not overly familiar with what came before.