Changes in Branding for Athletics

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what happens when you try to make a "fierce" version of a goofy cartoon mascot. It's still a goofy cartoon mascot, but now it looks like it suffers from mental deficiencies:

gorlok.png43790655.jpg

I think the return of the crown on the Billiken would be cool, but I really hope they didn't overdo it with the "fierce" nonsense.

Oh, that's just freakin' brilliant. How many tickets do the student athletes buy, and how many of them are going to increase the size and reach of our fan base?

They do represent a certain age group, they put in the sweat, they wear it on their uniforms. Of course, their opinion matters a lot.

They're clearly already using the new wordmark, and 'pledge' and hashtag and whatnot. I don't understand why there hasn't been some sort of unveiling of the new look before beginning to trickle it out on the fall sports stuff and website. Other programs tease this stuff as much as they can on social media and then make a huge deal of unveiling it before fans see it in use. I'll reserve judgment until I see the rest of the package - I just don't get why we haven't seen more yet even though it's being implemented and used already.

They do represent a certain age group, they put in the sweat, they wear it on their uniforms. Of course, their opinion matters a lot.

They'll be gone in between one and four years, and, unless this new brand identity has the lifespan of a St. Louis football stadium, it's going to be around for a while. Their opinion matters...a little. If you're truly saying that the AD based a major marketing decision on a group that makes up about 5 percent, at best, of its revenue audience, then we've once again taken two steps back after one step forward.

They'll be gone in between one and four years, and, unless this new brand identity has the lifespan of a St. Louis football stadium, it's going to be around for a while. Their opinion matters...a little. If you're truly saying that the AD based a major marketing decision on a group that makes up about 5 percent, at best, of its revenue audience, then we've once again taken two steps back after one step forward.

Read the entire original post. Numerous focus groups meetings were conducted by a well respected firm that provided significant input into the process. And, yes what the student athletes thought was considered important.

How is that process 2 steps backwards?

Read the entire original post. Numerous focus groups meetings were conducted by a well respected firm that provided significant input into the process. And, yes what the student athletes thought was considered important.

They're clearly already using the new wordmark, and 'pledge' and hashtag and whatnot. I don't understand why there hasn't been some sort of unveiling of the new look before beginning to trickle it out on the fall sports stuff and website. Other programs tease this stuff as much as they can on social media and then make a huge deal of unveiling it before fans see it in use. I'll reserve judgment until I see the rest of the package - I just don't get why we haven't seen more yet even though it's being implemented and used already.

Agreed. Somewhat disappointed by a lack of rollout. But Chris Mays athletic department has been really great at the good idea/poor execution on certain things.

They considered several options, had numerous focus groups, and placed a priority on what the student athletes said.

I read it right the first time. You said where they'd gone for input, but only cited "student athletes" as a "priority." (Not "important." A priority.)

In English, that means that the student athletes' opinions were most important to them. If that's true, they (or you, I assume, since you seem to be better informed than the average MBM) don't know how to prioritize their (your) probable marketplaces.

I read it right the first time. You said where they'd gone for input, but only cited "student athletes" as a "priority." (Not "important." A priority.)

In English, that means that the student athletes' opinions were most important to them. If that's true, they (or you, I assume, since you seem to be better informed than the average MBM) don't know how to prioritize their (your) probable marketplaces.

bonwich, I'd say that for this exercise the student athlete opinion was very important. You and I are pretty likely to buy Billiken gear even if the Billiken logo looks like crap. I am guessing that the direction for this was to make SLU jerseys/gear/performacne stuff more appealing to high school and college aged people. Those are the people who are being recruited for athletes and future fans. It may sound stupid, but how many football players have talked about Oregon's jerseys and associated stuff? There is incremental value in having jerseys that athletes think are cool and want to wear.

bonwich, I'd say that for this exercise the student athlete opinion was very important. You and I are pretty likely to buy Billiken gear even if the Billiken logo looks like crap. I am guessing that the direction for this was to make SLU jerseys/gear/performacne stuff more appealing to high school and college aged people. Those are the people who are being recruited for athletes and future fans. It may sound stupid, but how many football players have talked about Oregon's jerseys and associated stuff? There is incremental value in having jerseys that athletes think are cool and want to wear.

I would certainly agree with that, and if this whole discussion is only about uniforms, I misread the recent part of the thread and I owe slu72 fan an apology. However, if this is about the overall new graphic identity for Saint Louis University athletics, then I stand by my comments.

If they were smart, they'd roll out all the new logos, gear, etc on homecoming weekend later this month. The basketball home opener is almost always well attended but they do run a risk waiting for that because there will definitely be less excitement than year's past.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW I have heard that the new branding that we have seen does not contain the Billikens logo because the athletes do not believe it is "fierce" enough. Talk of changing the mascot altogether has been slumored. If this is true, the athletes should be more concerned with winning than looking intimidating. Winning consistently certainly achieves this goal.

FWIW I have heard that the new branding that we have seen does not contain the Billikens logo because the athletes do not believe it is "fierce" enough. Talk of changing the mascot altogether has been slumored. If this is true, the athletes should be more concerned with winning than looking intimidating. Winning consistently certainly achieves this goal.

Chris May's athletic department wouldn't screw up a major thing like this.

Oddly enough, one of my friends is on a committee of athletes that are involved in the re-branding. It isn't all of the athletes who are providing input, but from all the information he has given me there are some real odd opinions being expressed by the athlete representation. Yes, they wear the new logos and that's great, but I would love to know who else is involved in the changing in brand.