Recruiting - 2016

Guess I might as well post a few updates:

Nick Robinson (Kenwood Academy, Chicago) visited Cal this weekend. SLU offered under Crews, along with St. Joe's, DePaul, Valpo, Indiana State, Bradley, UIC, and UMKC.

Lorenzo Edwards (Lake Forest) visited St. Joe's along with Nick Robinson (see above) two weeks ago. He has several offers (SLU, St. Joe's, Duquesne, George Mason), Loyola-Chicago, Evansville, Furman, Tennessee State, Elon), and despite a lot of power-conference interest, offers from that level have yet to come.

Aleem Ford (IMG Academy, Lawrenceville, GA) will visit Richmond this weekend. Along with the Spiders, he has offers from SLU, Rutgers, Hofstra, Marist, Fairfield, Tennessee Tech, Wofford, Quinnipiac, and American, and a lot of primarily East Coast interest.

Kostas Antetokounmpo (Dominican, Milwaukee) will visit Florida and St. John's. He has a ton of high-level interest but few offers. SLU appears out of the running.

Skyler Nash will do a postgrad year at Gould Academy, making him a 2017 recruit.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ford gets Charlie Moore on campus, I'd take a glass of koolaid. If he gets a commitment, pass me the Heaven's Gate version.

He's arguably the most impactful player we could possibly land - the top uncommitted PG in the country right now. But it's a tall order, with a dozen other big programs involved.

He's arguably the most impactful player we could possibly land - the top uncommitted PG in the country right now. But it's a tall order, with a dozen other big programs involved.

If he and Will Bailey are able to land Charlie Moore, it will be very, very impressive.

That said, it ain't happening.

Yea, just mentioning big time transfers who are clearly going to power 5 conferences really is kind of a waste of time in my opinion. Now if they express one iota of interest, then thats a different story.

We havent been rumored to be on any of these transfers floating around. I am not sure what to make of it. Too early maybe?

Edit: sorry, I missed that tweet saying he's heard from us. Mods, feel free to delete this worthless post.

To be fair, Moore is not a transfer.

Charlie Moore has heard from Oklahoma St, St. Louis, VCU, California, Missouri, Purdue, Alabama, Arkansas and the 6 reported last week.

4 star PG

Wisconsin, DePaul, Northwestern, Miami, and SMU for sure. Can't figure out the sixth.

-screw those other schools, Be a Billiken! you can say you were the first to commit to the Ford Era when being interviewed at the Final Four in Minneapolis in 2019

I see that people are excited that we are mentioned with Moore and that is great and all. But one of the real challenges Ford is going to have here is figuring out what the right level of recruit for him to focus on is. He needs to strike the right balance of focusing on guys he can actually land with guys that make an impact on the court.

A 4 star PG definitely qualifies as someone that would make an impact on the court but he's not all that realistic as a recruit given all the names talking to him and I've had my fair share of finishing 2nd or lower on players like Tatum and getting absolutely nothing out of it.

You can count me as beyond stunned if he ended up here.

I see that people are excited that we are mentioned with Moore and that is great and all. But one of the real challenges Ford is going to have here is figuring out what the right level of recruit for him to focus on is. He needs to strike the right balance of focusing on guys he can actually land with guys that make an impact on the court.

A 4 star PG definitely qualifies as someone that would make an impact on the court but he's not all that realistic as a recruit given all the names talking to him and I've had my fair share of finishing 2nd or lower on players like Tatum and getting absolutely nothing out of it.

Fun guy you are

I think Ford's experience at UMASS will help him know the A10 recruit level. It's been a while since UMASS but maybe he still knows.

Likely very true. This is one of the reasons I am taking the wait and see approach on Ford and how his recruiting carries over to SLU where he doesn't have the benefit of playing in a top conference and all that goes along with that. So the player he can target and land is going to be different. No reason he can't adjust, but it will still likely need to happen.

Getting a whole class of 3* is something we rarely if ever see. I completely believe it will take 1 or 2, maybe 3 years of winning with ford before we see a serious 4star

Can't fault him for trying. That said, hopefully, he's like Rick who seemed to sense if a player was serious about SLU. If he wasn't, Rick moved on quickly. For example, I'm not sure Rick would have invested the time that Crews did if he didn't get the sense Tatum offered a realistic possibility.

I think one of Ford's strengths over the other candidates is that he should have a good sense of the type of recruits we need to be successful in the A-10. The hiring of Bailey, who knows the landscape, should also help in identifying good fits for our league. On the radio yesterday, he specifically said that when he went to UMass there was a little period of adjustment coming from Kentucky. He realized that in A-10 territory there is a market for recruiting kids from big cities (Baltimore, Philly, DC, NYC, Pittsburgh). He said that while a lot of these kids want to leave home, some are not interested in going to a big state school in a small town - that could be SLU's market. Xavier and Villanova have been very successful in recruiting these type of players. Of course, Ford also mentioned St. Louis, Chicago and Memphis as priority recruiting areas, but I like that he identified big East Coast cities as an area we need to recruit - I've been saying that since we joined this league. If we're going to be in a predominantly East Coast conference, we need to target that territory. Ford has said a lot of the right things that I like so far, but obviously it will ultimately come down to executing the plan. He said the hiring of Bailey addressed a couple of goals - a contact in Chicago and a guy who has been working in the A-10 on the East Coast for a number of years.

If he can get Moore, that would be outstanding. However, I worry we are headed down the same road with Moore as we were with Coach Drew. The board sets its expectations way too high on a guy that we may never have a shot at. Then, when Ford does sign some kid, everyone's down on him, because he's not a four star. Until a coach, hopefully Coach Ford, gets us to a level of sustained success, we cannot expect this level of recruit.

Having absolutely no way of knowing how Ford's strategy will work out, it is incredibly refreshing to see the logic behind the moves. He is setting out and doing things that make sense. Unlike Crews, who thought he could ride the smug train for 3 more years.

I'm not too concerned with Ford's recruiting. I think he'll consistently bring in better recruits than we typically see. Whether those guys amount to wins in the long run is what I'm concerned with. We'll see in 2-3 years but it'll be nice to get excited about recruits again.

The obvious reason Nova and X get big recruits is consistency in the W column. We start to generate a little momentum then it comes to a screeching halt, and we're not an attractive option. While every highly rated recruit, say top 150, might have dreams of an NBA career, most want to win and get some exposure. Winning cures all, unless Jim Crews takes over a winning program.

The obvious reason Nova and X get big recruits is consistency in the W column. We start to generate a little momentum then it comes to a screeching halt, and we're not an attractive option. While every highly rated recruit, say top 150, might have dreams of an NBA career, most want to win and get some exposure. Winning cures all, unless Jim Crews takes over a winning program.

XU built the foundation of their success by landing guys from the around the Cincy area. Byron Larkin, Tyrone Hill, Brian Grant, etc.

You gotta recruit the home area, but a lot of kids these days simply don't want to stay home. Memphis back in the old days built great teams on local players. Even they can't do it any more. DePaul can't keep locals any more. You need to cast a wider net these days. It's not like it was 20+ years ago when more kids stayed home. Xavier was a top 10 team and all of their top players were not only out of town, but out of state.