Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard they're taking him to the cards game tonight.

I don't want to start a huge debate or make a racially charged statement, but is taking a young african-american basketball player to a baseball game the best way to spend time during a recruiting trip?

It's not like there are a lot of african-american fans at the games or african-american players (I think Jermaine Curtis is the only one on the Cardinals and he will be sent back to AAA when Adams comes off the DL). Further, I think it is likely that most of these kids whose passion is basketball are probably bored to death with 3+ hours of baseball.

I don't want to start a huge debate or make a racially charged statement, but is taking a young african-american basketball player to a baseball game the best way to spend time during a recruiting trip?

It's not like there are a lot of african-american fans at the games or african-american players (I think Jermaine Curtis is the only one on the Cardinals and he will be sent back to AAA when Adams comes off the DL). Further, I think it is likely that most of these kids whose passion is basketball are probably bored to death with 3+ hours of baseball.

And what else would you like them to be doing instead....

The zoo? The Arch? Ummmm, yeah. I think the cards game is better then anything else they could be doing for $35 bucks.

And what else would you like them to be doing instead....

The zoo? The Arch? Ummmm, yeah. I think the cards game is better then anything else they could be doing for $35 bucks.

word. and everybody loves hot little white women in tight t-shirts. and there's plenty of those at a cardinals game.

when the weather is warm a Cards game is a great place to bring an 17/18 year old guy.

Think about all the hot tramps walking around at busch stadium. Plus the Cards are a huge part of St Louis and its not like you can take the kid to the east side.

Adams is already back and Curtis is already gone.

I would think an athlete would be in to sports in general. And I don't know that just because our team doesn't have an African American player at the moment would make them irrelevant to an entire race.

And since they aren't of age, it really leaves sports as the only thing to do around town.

when the weather is warm a Cards game is a great place to bring an 17/18 year old guy.

Think about all the hot tramps walking around at busch stadium. Plus the Cards are a huge part of St Louis and its not like you can take the kid to the east side.

Adams is already back and Curtis is already gone.

Gary Barnett would beg to differ about not taking recruits to strip joints.

I would think an athlete would be in to sports in general. And I don't know that just because our team doesn't have an African American player at the moment would make them irrelevant to an entire race.

And since they aren't of age, it really leaves sports as the only thing to do around town.

it was my understanding that proceeds from biondi's annual gala went to fund scholarships for SLU's "joy brigade" / "pleasure squad" / whatever you want to call it.

i wonder which team is the most talented - "the satisfaction team", "the happiness team" or "the dancing and singing team"?

i'm guessing rachel diener was on "the happiness team" as walking on someone's back is a form of massage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kippumjo

I get bored with one hour of baseball unless it is the playoffs. I get what you are saying in general - if I was being recruited I would not want to go to something that did not interest me (e.g. a soccer game, a rap concert, a musical, etc.), but I think Cardinal Baseball is more of an overall event, especially for the uninitiated. Witnessing that for the first time would make me think the city is pretty cool even if I did not like baseball and never went to a game again.

Guess I'll have to wait until I get home to be repulsed by your tasteless and offensive humor, Jimbo.

That's it?! I guess the creator of that firewall programmed it to filter out everything from that meme generator regardless of what anyone might say. Talk about a preemptive move!

I'm just using the best information available.

More like the best fiction available.

I get bored with one hour of baseball unless it is the playoffs. I get what you are saying in general - if I was being recruited I would not want to go to something that did not interest me (e.g. a soccer game, a rap concert, a musical, etc.), but I think Cardinal Baseball is more of an overall event, especially for the uninitiated. Witnessing that for the first time would make me think the city is pretty cool even if I did not like baseball and never went to a game again.

+1

It is something that St. Louis has to offer that few other places can. Baseball games here are events, and provide a very unique experience for the non-resident. Regardless of whether or not a teenaged/early 20s player digs baseball (and who knows if he does or doesn't). the atmosphere of a Cards game is a pretty cool thing to experience, and is probably a nicer selling point than just taking him sight seeing or the like.

Remy is from Louisville and went to school at Indiana so if he is a baseball fan, he very well could be a Cardinals fan.

Basically what I'm saying is that he's a huge fan and if the Cardinals lose tonight, our chances of signing him go way down.

People, please remember that Remy is not your standard 18 old basketball player. He is into religion, and just transferred out of a place that is by any measure a stronger basketball school than SLU. He did like Xavier, I have no idea what they showed him there that impressed him. He will make up his mind about St. Louis in his own terms. Someone who just quits Indiana and goes shopping for catholic schools has a pretty good idea of what he is after, this is not a teenager with an identity crisis and homesickness, this is not someone looking for extra playing time. If we provide what he is looking for great, if we do not it will be a lost opportunity.

People, please remember that Remy is not your standard 18 old basketball player. He is into religion, and just transferred out of a place that is by any measure a stronger basketball school than SLU. He did like Xavier, I have no idea what they showed him there that impressed him. He will make up his mind about St. Louis in his own terms. Someone who just quits Indiana and goes shopping for catholic schools has a pretty good idea of what he is after, this is not a teenager with an identity crisis and homesickness, this is not someone looking for extra playing time. If we provide what he is looking for great, if we do not it will be a lost opportunity.

I think any assumptions about what type of a person this guy is based solely on his tweets is a little silly.

I do think the kind of tweets this man sends do give a picture that shows him to be different from many others. Besides, what I said in my prior post it entirely correct. He quit a much better basketball program than SLU's, he is apparently limiting his search for a new school to Catholic Schools, he liked Xavier for undetermined reasons, and he will make his mind about SLU in his own terms. And yes, whether or not he comes to SLU depends on how well we match what he is looking for, whatever that may be. What is silly about this?

Plenty of athletes tweet religious things all the time. I just don't think you can use religious tweets to say what kind of character the guy has. Additionally, he left because he wanted more minutes. It seems like he wants to go to a school where he can play more that will still compete for the tournament. That's all I gather at least.

Sounds like most people think that taking a recruit to a Cards game is the best option. I can't think of anything better so I'm not arguing. I have some experience with coaching basketball for african-american teens and many of them barely know who are Cardinals are. For example during the playoffs last year, they asked why everyone was wearing red. I do agree that going to a Cardinals game in St. Louis is a big event and I can see how for someone from outside the area it would be very impressive.

Sounds like most people think that taking a recruit to a Cards game is the best option. I can't think of anything better so I'm not arguing. I have some experience with coaching basketball for african-american teens and many of them barely know who are Cardinals are. For example during the playoffs last year, they asked why everyone was wearing red. I do agree that going to a Cardinals game in St. Louis is a big event and I can see how for someone from outside the area it would be very impressive.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with who the cardinals are or the sport in general. I think it has to do with showing the fanaticism that this city has for sports that helps reel the kids in.

I don't think the Cards game is a bad idea. And in the spring we're lucky we're not competing against college FB. I'd bet a lot of kids get their heads turned by big time FB games on a Saturday afternoon with 80k plus fans going nuts for good ol' State U.

Another beauty of this Board!! I am not African American, and until yesterday, did not know African American teens did not know who the Cardinals are!! Thanks for the update RUBills Fan!! And after all these years, I thought ALL kids (regardless of skin color) were fans. Good stuff!!