Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleveland is not bigger and despite having a lot of crappy teams, they support their teams well.

Pitt is a good addition and could be considered because of the Steelers, but their complete lack of support for the Pirates drops them behind STL, imo.

The metro population for Cleveland is more than 20% larger (600,000+) than St Louis.

The Pirates drew over 2 million fans last year while compiling their 20th straight losing season. It is amazing that they drew that many without breaking .500 since Bill Clinton's first year as President.

Another bigger city, but San Fran is a good sports town, despite its artsy reputation. Giants games are always sold out and rowdy, while the 49ers are one of the great NFL franchises.

The whole Bay area is a strong sports area. 2 MLB teams, 2 NFL teams, a NHL team, a NBA team, and two major BCS college programs.

The metro population for Cleveland is more than 20% larger (600,000+) than St Louis.

The Pirates drew over 2 million fans last year while compiling their 20th straight losing season. It is amazing that they drew that many without breaking .500 since Bill Clinton's first year as President.

Cleveland's metro area, or MSA, is roughly 2 million. The St. Louis MSA is almost 2.8 million.

I guess if you include Akron, etc., it is larger, but I don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Have you been to the Ed Jones lately? The Rams were a .500 team last year and the place was half empty. Also, the Scottrade was absolutely empty when the blues were awful a couple years ago.

The Edward Jones Dome has never been half full for any Rams game.

Considering the franchise recently experienced the losingest five-year run in the history of the NFL, fan support has been pretty remarkable. Before last year, the team was absolutely brutal to watch.

Nobody and I mean nobody draws crowds when they are in the middle of a or just coming off of the historically worst stretch of football ever played. The fact the Rams drew the crowds they did is amazing. The Blues couldn't draw when they were the worst team in hockey, traded their best player, and were just coming off a season lost to a strike. Attendance was hurting across the league.

The Chiefs have averaged 5 wins over the last 6 years and have destroyed the Rams in attendance. The Chiefs won two games last year and averaged 12,000 more fans per game than the Rams.

Cleveland's metro area, or MSA, is roughly 2 million. The St. Louis MSA is almost 2.8 million.

I guess if you include Akron, etc., it is larger, but I don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

The population of the Combined Statistical Area of Cleveland is 3.5 million compared to 2.9 million in St Louis. Leaving Summit County (Akron) would be like leaving St Charles County out of the St Louis population area. Summit County and Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) are neighboring counties.

The Chiefs have averaged 5 wins over the last 6 years and have destroyed the Rams in attendance. The Chiefs won two games last year and averaged 12,000 more fans per game than the Rams.

The Chiefs only compete with KU bball and they have a better tailgating situation.

The population of the Combined Statistical Area of Cleveland is 3.5 million compared to 2.9 million in St Louis. Leaving Summit County (Akron) would be like leaving St Charles County out of the St Louis population area. Summit County and Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) are neighboring counties.

We're obviously splitting hairs here because you're right that the CSA is bigger, but what is technically considered the "metro area" is not.

Either way, I was just looking for cities that have at least 3 sports teams. Since STL is one of the smaller cities with 3, it's likely that most cities we're comparing ourselves to are bigger. But bigger cities do not necessarily mean better.

We're obviously splitting hairs here because you're right that the CSA is bigger, but what is technically considered the "metro area" is not. Either way, I was just looking for cities that have at least 3 sports teams. Since STL is one of the smaller cities with 3, it's likely that most cities we're comparing ourselves to are bigger. But bigger cities do not necessarily mean better.

For all it's problems St. Louis is much better than places like Cleveland and Detroit.

I don't count Cleveland. Really Cleveland? Whose going to these Indian and Cavaliers games?

I don't really consider stl a top notch sports town but I guess I can't really think of too many examples of great sports towns. Boston, pittsburgh and san fran come to mind. I guess I usually compare cities on a per sport basis. Like I think Portland is an unbelievable basketball town but only having one sport really just out as a "sports town"

Denver is a very good sports town. They have every pro team imaginable from the Broncos to the Mammoth (indoor lacrosse which usually does about 15-18k per game). Rockies attendance is solid. Die hard bronco fans. Very good support for the Avs. And the nuggets have been well supported for the last 7-10 years.

Not sure Denver is as fanatical as St. Louis, but i'd throw them in the conversation.

Long version: Wow...... loves my kshoe and bizzle-boy.

To refresh, here's what I said "The Cardinals are this town's aberration. There will be 30,00 people at a late-September weeknight because it's the Cardinals. That crowd will swell to 50,000 if it's the Cubs even though both teams might be heading home for the fall. Why? Because that's who they are and what this city does. Always have. Always will. To equate that frenzy into a general conclusion that St. Louis is a rabid sports town bursting with fanaticism for each and every team, is utterly ridiculous. The foibles of youth ..... "

Here's what kshoe said " .... good to know you think that if the SLU coaches take a recruit to the Cardinals game and suggest to the recruit that the people of this city really like sports they are being utterly ridiculous."

And then the bizzle says "Hopefully Crews is telling any recruit he takes to a Cards game not to expect this level of excitement at Bills home games. I think he owes it to the kids to let them know that the Cards are just an aberration in this town. He doesn't want to falsely raise the hopes of some kid. Especially during recruiting."

All I said was equating the rabid St. Louis support for the Cardinals is not an equal measure to be used as an overall consistent demonstration of unequivocal support across sports in this town. I said nothing about taking SLU recruits anywhere by anyone. I said nothing about Crews talking to any recruits. If I were recruitng, I'd indeed want the Cards in town and I'd want access to a skybox if at all possible. I would be hesitant to say "this covers all sports in this town" because the truth will come back to bite you the minute the Fetz has an empty seat .... against .... Savannah State. VCU has sold out for the last couple of years running. Check their home OOC schedule. But that's not a fair comparison either, because that's an issue public --- despite the issue, I'd offer their fans and students support them better. Of course, it is only a 9700 arena. And nothing else to do in Richmond, yeah, I know.

I remember the Sporting News, a then-St. Louis publication, claim St. Lou as THEE sporting capital of the US world. I remember it being in the mid- to late-90's. Let's see .... the Cards doing what they always do. The Bills were making attendance records at the Arena. The Blues were down but was that the newness of the Rams and the Turf Show shortly thereafter. What version of the Steamers were around then? The Arena was constantly sold out for them when I was there. But each of them in their own way was winning. I offer that only the Cardinals will not suffer or suffer less than any of the others even in a down year. I have been around enough St. Louisans to know you can fuok with any St. Louis team around -- EXCEPT the Cardinals.

St. Louis has lost the football Cardinals. The Atlanta Hawks. Two versions of the Steamers, yes? The Spirits. I always wondered that if St. Louis is thee hotbed of soccer in the US, how come KC has an MLS team but the Lou does not?

He's the top recruit in the class and we have 1 scholarship still open for next year?

Regardless of the sarcasm involved your post has to be classified as on topic and we are over the limit of 13 on topic posts in this thread. Please repost something regarding a cheerleader, a train, The Cardinals, or you can take a shot at Taj or Clock. Please follow the rules in your future posts or I will be forced to recommend you be suspended for 30 days.