Recruiting - 2013

I do think the kind of tweets this man sends do give a picture that shows him to be different from many others. Besides, what I said in my prior post it entirely correct. He quit a much better basketball program than SLU's, he is apparently limiting his search for a new school to Catholic Schools, he liked Xavier for undetermined reasons, and he will make his mind about SLU in his own terms. And yes, whether or not he comes to SLU depends on how well we match what he is looking for, whatever that may be. What is silly about this?

Will you quit acting like you know these kids and what they are thinking.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like most people think that taking a recruit to a Cards game is the best option. I can't think of anything better so I'm not arguing. I have some experience with coaching basketball for african-american teens and many of them barely know who are Cardinals are. For example during the playoffs last year, they asked why everyone was wearing red. I do agree that going to a Cardinals game in St. Louis is a big event and I can see how for someone from outside the area it would be very impressive.

Inner city black kids know who the Cardinals are. Any argument otherwise is just wrong. There may be a very small percentage that don't, but the large majority do and many even follow them

The Cardinals are this town's aberration. There will be 30,00 people at a late-September weeknight because it's the Cardinals. That crowd will swell to 50,000 if it's the Cubs even though both teams might be heading home for the fall. Why? Because that's who they are and what this city does. Always have. Always will. To equate that frenzy into a general conclusion that St. Louis is a rabid sports town bursting with fanaticism for each and every team, is utterly ridiculous. The foibles of youth .....

The Cardinals are this town's aberration. There will be 30,00 people at a late-September weeknight because it's the Cardinals. That crowd will swell to 50,000 if it's the Cubs even though both teams might be heading home for the fall. Why? Because that's who they are and what this city does. Always have. Always will. To equate that frenzy into a general conclusion that St. Louis is a rabid sports town bursting with fanaticism for each and every team, is utterly ridiculous. The foibles of youth .....

Glad to know you think that if the SLU coaches take a recruit to the Cardinals game and suggest to the recruit that the people of this city really like sports they are being utterly ridiculous.

Hopefully Crews is telling any recruit he takes to a Cards game not to expect this level of excitement at Bills home games. I think he owes it to the kids to let them know that the Cards are just an aberration in this town. He doesn't want to falsely raise the hopes of some kid. Especially during recruiting.

Hopefully Crews is telling any recruit he takes to a Cards game not to expect this level of excitement at Bills home games. I think he owes it to the kids to let them know that the Cards are just an aberration in this town. He doesn't want to falsely raise the hopes of some kid. Especially during recruiting.

I nominate Taj to be the new director of recruiting at SLU. With his never say die attitude and great selling points on SLU and St. Louis in general we'd have had a chance at a bunch of 5 stars.

I think Taj's point is that St. Louis isn't as fanatical sports wise as many in this city like to believe. This is an unbelievable Cardinal baseball town and pretty much always has been. It truly is baseball heaven in regards to the Cardinals. It is a good sports city, but it isn't really a fanatical sports city.

However, we want every recruit to think so!

I think Taj's point is that St. Louis isn't as fanatical sports wise as many in this city like to believe. This is an unbelievable Cardinal baseball town and pretty much always has been. It truly is baseball heaven in regards to the Cardinals. It is a good sports city, but it isn't really a fanatical sports city.

However, we want every recruit to think so!

Not to starrt an argument over this but I would say we are top 5. Can you name 5 other citites that are more fanatical about sports? Chicago, Philly, NY?

I nominate Taj to be the new director of recruiting at SLU. With his never say die attitude and great selling points on SLU and St. Louis in general we'd have had a chance at a bunch of 5 stars.

I think Taj's recruiting pitch would go something like this... "I've been following Billiken basketball for a long time and let me just say I don't have very high hopes for you. I remember players like Caswell, Cranford, Varner, Simmons, Horace and Newbourne and a bunch of guys from the 1980s, so I'm not expecting much. You will either get hurt, transfer or if you stick around, be a bust. Also, I noticed some deficiencies in your game. Don't expect to improve at all during your career. The player you are now is the player you will be throughout your career. Don't waste your time lifting weights or working on your outside shot. Now are you ready to sign?"

Not to starrt an argument over this but I would say we are top 5. Can you name 5 other citites that are more fanatical about sports? Chicago, Philly, NY?

Boston, Cleveland, and probably Detroit....maybe Dallas.

Inner city black kids know who the Cardinals are. Any argument otherwise is just wrong. There may be a very small percentage that don't, but the large majority do and many even follow them

I didn't say they don't know who the Cardinals are. I said they barely know who the Cardinals are. Perhaps it is different in the inner city, but I will respectfully disagree with your assessment based on my personal experience with a large group from the county.

I think Taj's recruiting pitch would go something like this... "I've been following Billiken basketball for a long time and let me just say I don't have very high hopes for you. I remember players like Caswell, Cranford, Varner, Simmons, Horace and Newbourne and a bunch of guys from the 1980s, so I'm not expecting much. You will either get hurt, transfer or if you stick around, be a bust. Also, I noticed some deficiencies in your game. Don't expect to improve at all during your career. The player you are now is the player you will be throughout your career. Don't waste your time lifting weights or working on your outside shot. Now are you ready to sign?"

+1

I had forgotten about the "you will never get better recruiting angle"

Also don't forget that if the recruit is from St. Louis he will have to hear how he probably isn't very good when compared to players from Baltimore.

You could make the argument that the folks in Green Bay are even more fanatical about the Packers than St. Louisans are about the Cardinals. I'm not sure if that makes the city more fanatical overall about sports.

I think the argument is very difficult because it is subjective. Who is to say that some town out in the boonies where the whole town literally shuts down on a Friday night for a high school football game isn't more fanatical than Boston?

Boston, Cleveland, and probably Detroit....maybe Dallas.

Every place mentioned is a much bigger metro areas. For it's size St Louis is pretty strong.

Pittsburgh doesn't get the credit it deserves for it's size and how crappy the baseball team has been for two decades. Pittsburgh is a really strong sports city.

St Louis is a mid level sports town. There are a lot of bandwagon jumpers in town, but not enough diehards for teams not named after birds.

This isn't the case. For how historically bad football has been in this town and the lack of any real success for the hockey team in it's history.......... the level of support they both get is pretty amazing.

This isn't the case. For how historically bad football has been in this town and the lack of any real success for the hockey team in it's history.......... the level of support they both get is pretty amazing.

Have you been to the Ed Jones lately? The Rams were a .500 team last year and the place was half empty. Also, the Scottrade was absolutely empty when the blues were awful a couple years ago.

St. Louis is definitely a strong sports city, but I think people in this town think we are the best or top 3. I agree with some of the city's mentioned.

You really have to look at each sport. The Blues attendance has really been hot and cold through the years and there have been some pretty ugly years. The Rams - ha. We are so far from being a good pro football city. Sure, the Rams have been terrible other than the Greatest Show on Turf years, but attendance has stunk and there are times even during competitive games where it is really quiet in the dome. I would think to be a great sports city, you'd have to have a pretty fanatical football base of fans. We simply do not have that here.

The Cardinals - awesome.

Billikens - were the only D1 college bball team in the metro area for a long time and we all know about attendance issues through the years.

So, yes - a good sports city, but definitely not a fanatical one.

Every place mentioned is a much bigger metro areas. For it's size St Louis is pretty strong.

Pittsburgh doesn't get the credit it deserves for it's size and how crappy the baseball team has been for two decades. Pittsburgh is a really strong sports city.

Cleveland is not bigger and despite having a lot of crappy teams, they support their teams well.

Pitt is a good addition and could be considered because of the Steelers, but their complete lack of support for the Pirates drops them behind STL, imo.

As I said - bandwagon jumpers. The Blues attendance over the past 10-20 years has fluctuated wildly in comparison to the rest of the NHL. They have been damn near at the top of the league in attendance, and at the bottom of the league in attendance.

The Rams during the Warner/Bulger years were sold out for years to come. Now they are at the bottom of the league in attendance in percentages and overall numbers. The dome is a terrible atmosphere and building to watch football in.

SLU used to have how many season ticket holders..? Then we barely draw 6000 for non conference season and can sell out vs. LaSalle at the end of the year.

The Cardinals had some lean years, but seem to be pretty stable the past 10 or so years.

Have you been to the Ed Jones lately? The Rams were a .500 team last year and the place was half empty. Also, the Scottrade was absolutely empty when the blues were awful a couple years ago.

Nobody and I mean nobody draws crowds when they are in the middle of a or just coming off of the historically worst stretch of football ever played. The fact the Rams drew the crowds they did is amazing. The Blues couldn't draw when they were the worst team in hockey, traded their best player, and were just coming off a season lost to a strike. Attendance was hurting across the league.

I will give you Boston and maybe Detroit but Cleveland and Dallas I think are behind the Lou.

Another bigger city, but San Fran is a good sports town, despite its artsy reputation. Giants games are always sold out and rowdy, while the 49ers are one of the great NFL franchises.

Another bigger city, but San Fran is a good sports town, despite its artsy reputation. Giants games are always sold out and rowdy, while the 49ers are one of the great NFL franchises.

For sure especially when both teams are good, recently that has been the case too.