Recruiting - 2013

I have never seen what Xavier or St. Mary's churches look like.

Not that I think it will play any role in Abell's decision, but Bellarmine Chapel at Xavier is nothing special. Built in the 60s. Not much different than St. Clement, Immacolata, or other mid-century churches in STL, IIRC. (No offense to Pistol, who was married there.)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I think it will play any role in Abell's decision, but Bellarmine Chapel at Xavier is nothing special. Built in the 60s. Not much different than St. Clement, Immacolata, or other mid-century churches in STL, IIRC. (No offense to Pistol, who was married there.)

Enough about the wedding, how was the reception?

Yeah, and look at all the free meals you scam and con folks out of Mr. Will Work For Food.

PS: I personally know Nigeria's Finance Minister and if you'll give me your bank account and SS#'s I'll have him Fed Ex you a check for $ 5 million for the nominal customs fee of $30k.

hahahahaha, me and the finance minister go way back. we are having very best working relationship about many transactions fruitfull.

Did he actually visit Tenn or did he just talk about it? Or perhaps he visited Tenn Tech... Hopefully we can get Abell locked up during his visit and move on.

Seems like you have some animosity towards RO because he's trying to do what's best for him. He's 18 years old and appears to be seeking out all possible options. Pretty wise on his part if you ask me.

Seems like you have some animosity towards RO because he's trying to do what's best for him. He's 18 years old and appears to be seeking out all possible options. Pretty wise on his part if you ask me.

I think he's poking fun at RO putting Pitt in his final 3 when it seems Pitt had no real interest.

No animosity at all. The kid certainly should go where he is comfortable and do what is best for him, but I am a lot more concerned about what is best for the team. I love the fact that JC & staff have generated a bunch of other guard options while RO tries to decide what is best for him. I would much rather this be a case of RO being put on hold as our Plan B, than have it be RO holding the cards while we are treated as his Plan B.

Rise and Grind touched on it... Randy starts talking up a Seton Hall visit after he visits SLU, but that visit never materializes. Then he lists Pitt in his top 3, yet reportedly never visited or was offered by Pitt. Now, he is talking up Tennessee, yet there are no reports that he visited there. Has he actually visited or been offered by a BCS program or just talked about it a lot?

No animosity at all. The kid certainly should go where he is comfortable and do what is best for him, but I am a lot more concerned about what is best for the team. I love the fact that JC & staff have generated a bunch of other guard options while RO tries to decide what is best for him. I would much rather this be a case of RO being put on hold as our Plan B, than have it be RO holding the cards while we are treated as his Plan B.

Rise and Grind touched on it... Randy starts talking up a Seton Hall visit after he visits SLU, but that visit never materializes. Then he lists Pitt in his top 3, yet reportedly never visited or was offered by Pitt. Now, he is talking up Tennessee, yet there are no reports that he visited there. Has he actually visited or been offered by a BCS program or just talked about it a lot?

What does it matter? He's trying to drum up some interest from some bigger schools.

Agree with you on who is driving the bus. Given the amount of other options and how we appear to be progressing with them (i.e. visits), I have no doubt that JC and Staff are ready to move on from RO if they find an alternative they like.

It could be interesting to see if this has any impact on Remy's decision:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/edmond-sumner

Our staff shoudl definitely bring this to his attention. Playing time may be harder to come by in their backcourt. They should also point out that Mack plays checkers, while we play chess. Remy would fit in well with the core of our 2014-15 Roster - 4 solid bigs, 2 wings with nice potential, what we hope is a good point guard in McBroom and Remy slides in at the 2.

Our staff shoudl definitely bring this to his attention. Playing time may be harder to come by in their backcourt. They should also point out that Mack plays checkers, while we play chess. Remy would fit in well with the core of our 2014-15 Roster - 4 solid bigs, 2 wings with nice potential, what we hope is a good point guard in McBroom and Remy slides in at the 2.

No doubt he is a perfect fit for us position wise and would likely be able to get significant minutes (as would any of the 4 we are looking at) but I do worry that his previous relationship with Mack and staff will break ties as we really had no relationship with him until a couple weeks ago. Stealing him from Xavier would be quite a coup.

What does it matter? He's trying to drum up some interest from some bigger schools.

Agree with you on who is driving the bus. Given the amount of other options and how we appear to be progressing with them (i.e. visits), I have no doubt that JC and Staff are ready to move on from RO if they find an alternative they like.

It seems to indicate that he is not sold on us. It has been more than a month since he visited. If he is attracted to "bigger" schools (and by "bigger" school he means BCS teams that miss the NCAA Tournament like Seton Hall and Tenn) than he clearly is not a good fit here.

This is the kind of recruit we would have been waiting on pins and needles for in the Sodie era. Fortunately, I think we have advanced a great deal as a program. The two kids we signed in the spring has a lot more quality options than Randy, yet they signed soon after their visits. I understand that the recruiting process goes at different paces for different kids, but his ambivalence about us dampens my enthusiasm for him. If this kid had a bunch of quality offers, I would feel much different about his recruitment.

I hope I'm not bursting any bubbles here: and I know that the website verbalcommits still has us offering the schollie to RO.

But has it occurred to anyone on here that it is possible if not likely that there has simply been a mutual parting of the ways between us and RO? Or: that SLU has simply pulled the offer, due to the fact that nobody likes being jerked around by an 18 year old? I mean, c'mon: SLU vs. Tennessee Tech? REally??

My guess: RO simply is not the right "fit" for SLU at present; this is not based on any "inside" street stuff, but I really do not see him signing with us. It may simply be the mutual parting of the ways that is often mostly a people thing, a hitting it off with the team thing.

My other guess is that the final schollie goes either to a transfer or to Strawberry, who is still interested. Although it may be there is in fact no offer to Strawberry either, since all indications are he would have accepted by now ...

ps: it's amazing how much attention grown men spend on the whims of teenagers...

It seems to indicate that he is not sold on us. It has been more than a month since he visited. If he is attracted to "bigger" schools (and by "bigger" school he means BCS teams that miss the NCAA Tournament like Seton Hall and Tenn) than he clearly is not a good fit here.

This is the kind of recruit we would have been waiting on pins and needles for in the Sodie era. Fortunately, I think we have advanced a great deal as a program. The two kids we signed in the spring has a lot more quality options than Randy, yet they signed soon after their visits. I understand that the recruiting process goes at different paces for different kids, but his ambivalence about us dampens my enthusiasm for him. If this kid had a bunch of quality offers, I would feel much different about his recruitment.

But...but...you do get a nicer flight to your NIT game.

I think that's a reasonable interpretation. I don't think it's the only one though. I'm just not ready to pass judgment on an 18 year old kid who is likely making the biggest decision of his life to this point.

You and/or Doc B could be right. Very reasonable suggestions by both of you.

None taken.

Enough about the wedding, how was the reception?

Fantastic. It was at Paul Brown Stadium on the club level. 3 story high room with windows facing downtown. Got to goof around on the field and in the locker room with the whole wedding party before the reception started. Everyone got hammered. It was a blast.

None taken.

Fantastic. It was at Paul Brown Stadium on the club level. 3 story high room with windows facing downtown. Got to goof around on the field and in the locker room with the whole wedding party before the reception started. Everyone got hammered. It was a blast.

Pistol, sounds fantastic. You and Box both know what I was getting after though. Pics or GTFO.