Timmermann's blog - Butler

SShoe

In Timmermann's review today of the Richmond game, he had this blurb about Butler and SLU's #1 fan. Talk about a program that gets it.

I keep forgetting to pass along this story, which is only tangential to basketball. You may recall Joshua Brown, the 9-year-old brain tumor patient who I wrote about a few weeks back. I was talking to his parents before a recent game and they said that they recently got a box in the mail with small gifts from Butler – a little toy bulldog, a shirt, things like that – and a note that said they know that his favorite team is SLU, but if he was going to have a second-favorite team to root for other times, could it be Butler? Alas, the best they can hope for is third. After SLU, Josh's favorite team is Wake Forest, where SLU director of basketball operations Mike Lepore went to school. (Lepore has spend a lot of time with Josh.) Still, a very classy gesture by Butler.

Wow. Coupled with the recent quotes and general classy behavior from Brad Stevens, this definitely makes Butler the hardest opponent to hate. I really hope we share a future with these guys when it comes to conference realignment.

I can't say I'm really surprised by the act, but I'm really glad that our team continues to represent themselves in a positive way, win or lose. Wish myself and the rest of our fan base were the same way, but hey, there's a few knuckleheads in every group.

I hadn't heard of this youngster until now, but I sincerely hope he is able to be cancer-free soon, and has many healthy and happy years ahead of him, even if he does spend them rooting for the Billikens. ;)

For those of you attending the Butler game at Hinkle, I have a feeling I'll be seated amongst you. I'm in section 22, row DB (can't remember the seat number), but I know in years past typically a lot of the visitor's fans would be seated there.

Good luck until next Friday, hopefully we can give you guys a little better game this time around.

I always hoped that SLU-Butler would develop into a strong, friendly rivalry. One of those where you fight like hell during the game, but then go out for drinks afterward. It seems we're well on the way, these guys are great.

Hmm. Seems like "Facebook" begging, to me: "Like me, please!" I don't applaud it. Did they do anything for him or his family other than promote themselves and ask for him to be a fan?

I'd imagine just sending Josh a toy and note probably brightened his day. I don't see any problem there.

Props to Butler from me!

Hmm. Seems like "Facebook" begging, to me: "Like me, please!" I don't applaud it. Did they do anything for him or his family other than promote themselves and ask for him to be a fan?

i kiiiiiiiind of agree, thicks. seems iffy to me. little guy needs all the help he can get, so i'll not poo poo it. it had gotdamn better be genuine. if it's conference posturing or any kind of tweetastic fagggotry, i'm PO'd. the more that i think about it, there's no reason to do this other than to make the kid feel good. squash everything i just said, because i'm too tired to take care of it myself.

get well, josh!!!!

fuok it. good on ya, butler. everything anyone participates in on here is SMALL BEANS compared to a little kid FIGHTING AND BEATING cancer.

4732069-sunrise-in-the-spring-woods.jpg

Why can't they be pricks like Dayton fans? It's so much easier to dislike them.

I think the whole country (save for a pocket in North Carolina) would have collectively serviced Gordon Heyward had that shot gone in against Duke. Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore would have made a movie about it, etc.