Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:39 PM, STLsportsfan said:

Pearson had 28 pts tonight in a 74-59 win. Also became the schools first player to grab 1000 rebounds. Having a really nice season 

I love that Pearson and Thatch are both 2,000-1,000 players now, and each has his school's all-time scoring and rebounding records. Neither Sikeston nor John Hardin had a 2,000-point player or 1,000-rebound player before these two, too. Outstanding high school careers.

Unfortunately for Pearson, he only had 20 points and 8 rebounds in an 84-59 loss to Scott County. He went 2-6 from inside the arc but 4-9 from outside. To be fair, Scott County is the top-ranked team in Kentucky, undefeated in the state and 24-1 overall. John Hardin hosts Bardstown tomorrow.

Cool moment for Thatch, as the guy he passed for the scoring record stood with him during a half-court ceremony before Friday's game.

Sikeston beat Poplar Bluff, 74-56. The Bulldogs weren't playing well, but early in the third quarter, Thatch took an inadvertent shot to the face and got fired up.

“When I got poked in the face it upset me,” Thatch said. “Something just woke up inside and I had to get tougher.”

Thatch didn’t necessarily light things up from the floor, finishing 4 of 13, but the senior reverted back to an older style of ball that put him on the map four years ago and became more of an aggressor on the glass and facilitator in the paint.

“All of my freshman year my role was to get rebounds, do the dirty work and just be a dog inside,” said Thatch. “I wouldn’t say I lost it, but I’ve just had to take over a different role the last few years and had to do different things. I had to get to get back in that groove.”

After scoring 4 in the first half, Thatch finished with 17 points, 13 rebounds, and 6 assists. I absolutely love that he was able to work himself out of an off night by responding to a literal smack in the face by rebounding and setting up his teammates. When good players have a tough night shooting, they still find ways to win. Thatch is a warrior.

Sikeston plays tomorrow at Saxony Lutheran.

Thatch had 26 points (8-12 from the field), 8 rebounds, 3 assists, and four steals in an 81-71 win over Saxony Lutheran.

Last night, he went off. He had 36 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 steals in an 87-63 win over Cape Central. He hit his first 6 shots from the field and hit 4 3-pointers on the night, going 13-17 overall from the field.

These were both ranked teams. Unfortunate that they had to be the ones standing in the way as Thatch regained his scoring form. Thatch had never won in Cape Central's gym before. Sikeston is now 19-1.

Pearson had 14 against Bardstown as John Hardin spread out the scoring a bit for once and five guys had double figures. He was also a bit cold, going 1-6 from 3 and 5-12 overall. He did grab 12 rebounds, though, as JHHS won 93-65.

Last night, John Hardin defeated Grayson County 85-55 and all five starters managed double figures again, although Pearson had 21 this time.

John Hardin has three scheduled games left before the playoffs start, and stands 7-1 in the district, 10-2 in the region, and 21-6 overall. Today's game is against Louisville Butler, 23-2 and one of the best teams in the state.

Gordon returned last night with 11 points (4-13, 3-4), 15 rebounds, 2 assists, 5 steals, and 3 blocks as Webster Groves defeated Summit 81-38.

Games against Vashon, Pattonville, Hazelwood Central, and Kirkwood all loom before the playoffs start. Let's hope Gordon and Co. are buckled down and focused on another state title run.

9 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Yes I am a homer, but I think Mickey is going to be really good. 

Also, I'm being lazy, but whatever happened to Hellems? Is he having a pretty solid senior season? I remember being pretty bummed when blew up and SLU went out of the picture. @Pistol @TheChosenOne

Agreed on the first point.

Hellems is headed to NC State. He is having another big season averaging 22.5 points, 8 rebounds, 3.29 assists, and 1.57 steals. I am not sold on him playing in the ACC, but certainly a skilled player. If I remember correctly his recruitment seemed to come down to South Carolina and NC State (his final 7 included those two as well as Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Florida, Virginia Tech, and Mizzou).

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Agreed on the first point.

Hellems is headed to NC State. He is having another big season averaging 22.5 points, 8 rebounds, 3.29 assists, and 1.57 steals. I am not sold on him playing in the ACC, but certainly a skilled player. If I remember correctly his recruitment seemed to come down to South Carolina and NC State (his final 7 included those two as well as Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Florida, Virginia Tech, and Mizzou).

Yeah.  They have a good class coming in...along with the Blake Harris transfer.  Hopefully it works out for him.

Am I wrong but arent mickeys stats a bit inflated because of the league he is in? he looks like a monster among kids but I know Gordon is massive too but seems to be surrounded by a lot bigger opponents. I would say Mickey and Thatch will be much more useful in the latter half of the season/ sophomore year. We need some solid grad transfers or Jucos

That's my concern too, but 47 points is 47 points.  It shows that he can shoot.  That's a skill that, as we are seeing with recent recruits, you either have or you don't.  We need some guys that can flat out shoot the ball, and he appears to be one of those guys.  Add in his size, and we may have a guy that can get his own shot when he needs to.  Also, a tall shooter clears out the inside for our bigs.

Zink likes this

On 2/16/2018 at 11:18 AM, Glorydays2013 said:

Am I wrong but arent mickeys stats a bit inflated because of the league he is in? he looks like a monster among kids but I know Gordon is massive too but seems to be surrounded by a lot bigger opponents. I would say Mickey and Thatch will be much more useful in the latter half of the season/ sophomore year. We need some solid grad transfers or Jucos

Hardin has an enrollment of 1,000, so it's not a small school. Kentucky is one of the few states left, that only has a one class state tournament. Here is an article from 2016 which I found interesting.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-school/article117355618.html