WELCOME HEAD COACH JOSH SCHERTZ!!

33 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Guess you haven't had ESPN for the last 30 years.

Big schools, conferences were already driving everything, NIL or not.

I have.  A handful of mid-majors have struck gold.  Everybody else has been struggling in vain.  Now we've finally reached the point where the big boys officially kick us out of the club.

ACE likes this

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have.  A handful of mid-majors have struck gold.  Everybody else has been struggling in vain.  Now we've finally reached the point where the big boys officially kick us out of the club.

2012-14 we were competitive with the Creightons, Butlers, Xaviers of the world. Can’t be overstated how detrimental it was to miss the Big East bus at that time. 

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

2012-14 we were competitive with the Creightons, Butlers, Xaviers of the world. Can’t be overstated how detrimental it was to miss the Big East bus at that time. 

I still think there's another bus coming. All the big conferences are getting bigger and bigger. Big East is going to want to try to keep up. They'll look at programs that are doing well and making big commitments to basketball. Or so I'm predicting.

Bills By 40 likes this

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

colleges should always be in the business of education first and foremost.  they have no business running a professional sports franchise and giving the athletes (notice i didnt say student athletes) money with no emphisis on education.   if the athletes want to play their sport for a career, fine go to a minor league otherwise get in the classroom and earn a diploma.   

Fine, this is the way it should rightfully be. However superimposed on this "should be world" you have discordant factors like the following:

1. Love and Kobe apparently want to get 7  figures NILs. Are you nuts? Will any idiot pay this NIL level? Think about it, this is close to 60% of an entering salary in the NBA! Are Kobe or Love professionals already?

2. The lawyers are already involved in arguing all kinds of details about the "student athlete" union. If they are unionized and get a salary, why should they be students and be awarded degrees? The salary should be enough the union makes them employees of some sort.

The whole college  sports scene is going into a period of massive changes. Neither you nor I know what will happen ultimately, nobody knows. 

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Using a surfing analogy, we missed that wave. All we can do is prepare for the next wave, whether it's Big East or something else, like a new basketball only conference.

I wonder how much SLU makes off of "Centene court"?

Could SLU have Centene contribute to the NIL instead of paying SLU for the court naming?  Without knowing how much SLU gets for the court sponsorship,  I wonder if higher ST sales due to a better team is higher than what they currently pay.  If not, I'd to see this with the Suites.  Half of those are never used. 

57 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Guess you haven't had ESPN for the last 30 years.

Big schools, conferences were already driving everything, NIL or not.

Wrong... more "mid majors" and non football schools were doing better in hoops 30 years ago. There were more opportunities to break through. Now everything is working against mid-major/non football schools. Even the mighty Big East had a lot of disappointment on selection Sunday this past season.

20 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I still think there's another bus coming. All the big conferences are getting bigger and bigger. Big East is going to want to try to keep up. They'll look at programs that are doing well and making big commitments to basketball. Or so I'm predicting.

Hope you’re right. Big East is really the only way I see us becoming/remaining relevant long term, with how things are trending in college athletics 

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Could SLU have Centene contribute to the NIL instead of paying SLU for the court naming?  Without knowing how much SLU gets for the court sponsorship,  I wonder if higher ST sales due to a better team is higher than what they currently pay.  If not, I'd to see this with the Suites.  Half of those are never used. 

Give Centene the naming rights in exchange for Centene giving money directly into BVF

NextYearBill likes this

Just now, Lord Elrond said:

Give Centene the naming rights in exchange for Centene giving money directly into BVF

Money is fungible. Whether Centene gives money directly to the SLU Athletic Department or gives it to an NIL is kind of a moot point. If SLU had more than enough coming into the Athletic Department, they could easily tell a few key boosters to cut their contributions to SLU and increase their contributions to NIL. There are some tax games to be played, but as long as they can find some donors willing to do the NIL route it should be fine.

The big question, which many have already touched on, is whether this new requirement of having a large NIL base is going to come from additional donations to SLU/NIL or whether the net funds will be the same and cuts will have to be made in facilities and other sports because the Athletic Department now has a shortage. I suspect the net amount be contributed is somewhat higher, but cuts are coming.

NextYearBill likes this

59 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

with her new endorsement deals (reportedly signing a huge nike deal this week) as well as still having her state farm deal as well as other endorsements from last year all renewed, Caitlin will have more direct deposits this year than last.   her WNBA contract is just something to do.   

I understand I was only pointing out that her actual salary playing will be less then what she made on NIL.  There will be others who won't get those endorsement deals

1 hour ago, willie said:

With the exception of the golf tournament I don't believe that is true. 

Read the letter you get from the Club it specifically states only 80% is deductible - now if that has changed then I haven't seen it.

31 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Centene has significantly dialed back its charitable giving.  I'm not sure if the Centene Court arrangement has a sunset, but if it does, I don't see them renewing it, let alone contributing to our NIL. 

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Read the letter you get from the Club it specifically states only 80% is deductible - now if that has changed then I haven't seen it.

When I get my annual gifting statement from the university they list the individual donations and only discount the golf tournament. $500 fee gets you a $350 deduction. They do not discount my Billiken Club donation. 

cheeseman likes this

42 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Centene has significantly dialed back its charitable giving.  I'm not sure if the Centene Court arrangement has a sunset, but if it does, I don't see them renewing it, let alone contributing to our NIL. 

Agreed, it was more of an example.  I think SLU/Chaifetz may see a better return if that had some of the sponsorships give to NIL than SLU, and make up the amount in increased sales. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Agreed, it was more of an example.  I think SLU/Chaifetz may see a better return if that had some of the sponsorships give to NIL than SLU, and make up the amount in increased sales. 

This going back now 15 yrs but I recall bonds were used to fund a good portion of the Chaifetz. Interest does have to payed on the bonds & $ set aside if someone cashes in.

9 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

This going back now 15 yrs but I recall bonds were used to fund a good portion of the Chaifetz. Interest does have to payed on the bonds & $ set aside if someone cashes in.

You don't turn bonds back in. You sell them on the open market. Now you have to make money available for a predetermined maturity schedule or refinance. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The last sentence is an assumption and not a fact.  If it comes true it is more applicable to football.

We don't really know.  SLU hasn't exactly been tearing it up since 1948 before NIL was a thing. So what are we really losing? But we need to find a way to be positioned for what's to come.  College Basketball isn't going away. There will be CBB competition in some form.

For the many posters that don't like NIL and all the money, maybe getting "kicked out of the club" gives them what they want.  Sports without the influence of big money. 

I personally want SLU to compete at the highest level it can.  So I'm accepting of the changes and willing to look for ways to exploit the opportunity. If the ACC goes away there's some likely shifts that bring opportunities.

58 minutes ago, willie said:

You don't turn bonds back in. You sell them on the open market. Now you have to make money available for a predetermined maturity schedule or refinance. 

I assume they were 30 year bonds, since 15 year bonds would be due right now. Does anyone know what the status of bonds for Chaifetz are? Did someone try to take advantage of low interest rates a few years ago to refinance any bonds? That could have had a huge impact when they are due.

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

Money is fungible. Whether Centene gives money directly to the SLU Athletic Department or gives it to an NIL is kind of a moot point. If SLU had more than enough coming into the Athletic Department, they could easily tell a few key boosters to cut their contributions to SLU and increase their contributions to NIL. There are some tax games to be played, but as long as they can find some donors willing to do the NIL route it should be fine.

The big question, which many have already touched on, is whether this new requirement of having a large NIL base is going to come from additional donations to SLU/NIL or whether the net funds will be the same and cuts will have to be made in facilities and other sports because the Athletic Department now has a shortage. I suspect the net amount be contributed is somewhat higher, but cuts are coming.

I don't think this is true since the school can't pay recruits directly. It has to go through the NIL collectives. The collectives and the school aren't "supposed" to coordinate. So I don't think the school could contribute to the NIL fund? 

18 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

I don't think this is true since the school can't pay recruits directly. It has to go through the NIL collectives. The collectives and the school aren't "supposed" to coordinate. So I don't think the school could contribute to the NIL fund? 

Troy R’s interview last week with Frank and Rammer got into how this all works. 

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The last sentence is an assumption and not a fact.  If it comes true it is more applicable to football.

We don't really know.  SLU hasn't exactly been tearing it up since 1948 before NIL was a thing. So what are we really losing? But we need to find a way to be positioned for what's to come.  College Basketball isn't going away. There will be CBB competition in some form.

For the many posters that don't like NIL and all the money, maybe getting "kicked out of the club" gives them what they want.  Sports without the influence of big money. 

I personally want SLU to compete at the highest level it can.  So I'm accepting of the changes and willing to look for ways to exploit the opportunity. If the ACC goes away there's some likely shifts that bring opportunities.

Nah - another naive take.

5 hours ago, Bilzz said:

Let’s say I was rich and told SLU I wanted to donate $100k to the athletic department. I could have a conversation with Chris May or Matt Hayden and ask them how much they want me to contribute to SLU directly and how much they’d like me to donate to the NIL.

if SLU knew that the NIL was short money they could tell me to donate it all to NIL. If the NIL was healthy and they needed money for the tennis team, they say give it to the school.

I’m certain this is already happening to some extent.