2024-25 Roster

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Some big announcements in the next couple days should calm your nerves.

Good news because so far our best new player from the portal appears to be Crickets Nobody.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BLIKNS said:

Slubillikens lists the 24-25 roster.

Has Thames, Hughes, and Jimmerson

Williford is not listed, thought he signed LOI in the fall... what does this mean??? Is he coming??

During his radio interview with Rammer and Ackerman last week, Coach said, at the time of the interview, he had two on his roster, and he named Thames and Hughes.  He then said that Billiken fans would receive good news the following day - Jimerson returning, and that he would then have 10 scholarships to fill.

My conclusion from his statement is that Williford is not on his roster.  He would have said 9 to fill had he counted Williford.  Was he released from his NLI by Schertz?  Did Williford request a release?  Will Schertz re-recruit him?  Those are questions to be answered.

4 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Can he dunk?

Not sure but understand he has a crazy vertical. 

The NLI signing period is through 5/15, but players can still commit past then.  They just agree and sign the financial aid agreement.  It’s basically the NLI but not binding.  Kids get out of NLIs all the time now.

Slubillikens has updated 24-25 roster

Lists Corey Tate as Assistant, and Max Pikaar is now listed

I believe that a large number of MBMs believes (or wishes which for some is equal to believing) that NILs are an integral part of the recruitment process and that the Coach and the AD have some degree of control over this part of the recruitment. This is plainly not correct. I enclose a link to SLU's policy for recruitment as it applies to athletes. It is here:

https://slubillikens.com/documents/2022/4/11/SLU_NIL_Policy.pdf

If you want to see how wrong a lot of these ideas are, please check the official SLU policy on recruiting. My understanding after reading the policy posted above is that SLU as an entity wants nothing to do with NILs. So now you know what SLU's policy about NILs officially is.

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

I believe that a large number of MBMs believes (or wishes which for some is equal to believing) that NILs are an integral part of the recruitment process and that the Coach and the AD have some degree of control over this part of the recruitment. This is plainly not correct. I enclose a link to SLU's policy for recruitment as it applies to athletes. It is here:

https://slubillikens.com/documents/2022/4/11/SLU_NIL_Policy.pdf

If you want to see how wrong a lot of these ideas are, please check the official SLU policy on recruiting. My understanding after reading the policy posted above is that SLU as an entity wants nothing to do with NILs. So now you know what SLU's policy about NILs officially is.

Guy this was 2 years ago. Since then the Missouri legislature has passed a law allowing schools to become involved with the NIL process. I don’t believe they can contribute to it but can be involved with coordinating who gets what. Missouri was heavily involved with its passage. 

[This is in response to Old Guy's posting about SLU official NIL policy]

There's always the official, written policy for legal purposes, and then there's how the entity operates.  Sometimes the two are fairly aligned, sometimes not.  My assumption is all schools are saying one thing and doing another, not necessarily because they are intentionally misrepresenting the situation but because the landscape is so new and is changing so fast they are just trying to stay competitive.

Yes, it is a 2 year old policy but it has not been changed internally, not yet anyways, despite the MO law allowing the school's NIL participation. I assume this MO law does not forbid the schools from NOT participating in NILs. SLU may or may not actively enforce the policy they have in place, but until they change their own policy to specifically allow whatever it is that is done with NILs, whoever does it is breaking SLU's current policy. SLU can use their current NIL policy to defend against any consequences or legal action resulting from NILs. 

So we have three starters: Gibby, Cream and Swope

Then: Hughes, Thames, Pikaar, and McCottry.

Am I missing anyone? So, 6 scholarships left.

Looks like we need a 4 (replacing Kent) and a PG (Julian Larry). We need the 4 to be a big time rebounder and a rim protector would be a nice bonus. When I watched them, Kent seemed very valuable tracking down missed 3s and then kicking it back out for more 3 attempts.

Hopefully we're landing some other quality transfers soon now that the roster is taking shape with the additions of Avilla and Swope.

One thing Schertz should be able to sell recruits is his ability to develop players. Look at the improvement from Larry and Kent this last season over the prior year.

Zink likes this

Current roster broken out by G/F:

G - Jimerson, Swope, Thames, McCottry, Hughes

F - Avila, Pikaar

Probably need one more proven guard, ideally someone who can serve as a primary ball-handler. As others have pointed out, Schertz's offense is not reliant on an individual playmaker at the 1, but their PG last year (Larry) did still manage to have 5apg.

Also, definitely need another big to complement/spell Avila and a swingman who is solid on the boards (could be Thames?).

Edit: ACE saying more or less the same thing :)

1 minute ago, Zink said:

F - Avila, Pikaar

Probably need one more proven guard, ideally someone who can serve as a primary ball-handler. As others have pointed out, Schertz's offense is not reliant on an individual playmaker at the 1, but their PG last year (Larry) did still manage to have 5apg.

Also, definitely need another big to complement/spell Avila and a swingman who is solid on the boards (could be Thames?).

Coach has been reaching out to a ton of 6'7-6'8 forwards who play down low. Seems like that's who he wants at the "4"

13 minutes ago, Zink said:

F - Avila, Pikaar

To this point - I think it will be more important with SLU's roster than it was at ISU to have a ballhandler - because Conwell could create off the dribble his own shot and distribute a lot better than Gibby.

We're trading Gibby for Conwell in the offense. As much as I like Gibby, he can't do some of the things Conwell does.

Schertz said two visits on campus today, one tomorrow and two more this weekend. "Hopes to have more good news this week." Went to Salt n Smoke with a recruit last night.

Excited about the 7 on the roster. He figures Gibby, Thames and Hughes are good fits to his system.

Schertz on with Frank - he's like most coaches, he's very optimistic about his recruits - says Pikaar could be A-10 player of the year; says McCottry could play in the NBA if he improves his defense and motor.

37 minutes ago, ACE said:

To this point - I think it will be more important with SLU's roster than it was at ISU to have a ballhandler - because Conwell could create off the dribble his own shot and distribute a lot better than Gibby.

We're trading Gibby for Conwell in the offense. As much as I like Gibby, he can't do some of the things Conwell does.

Right now, the hope is that Thames can become the next Conwell.  He certainly has the tools, but we will see if Schertz can unlock his potential.  Of course, the dream is we find another Conwell in the portal.