1 minute ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Well, I am guessing, other than this year, ISU does not exactly pack it in.

2023:

ISU  3886 avg attendance

SLU 7056 avg attendance

2022:

ISU 2099 avg attendance

SLU 5559 avg attendance

2021:

ISU 3676 avg attendance

SLU 6880 avg attendance

Both arenas have similar capacity. So much for ISU being a hotbed for Indiana basketball.

There’s a lot of division one hoops in that state, though. 

IU, ND, Purdue, Butler, Valpo, Ball State, Evansville, ISU, the UIPUIs, USI. Hell, they probably seat more fans for a Brebeuf  - Cathedral high school hoops game than they do in Terre Haute. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I understand that the ISU fans are upset but for the most part this Board has been supportive of the ISU NIT run this year when in reality it would have been in SLU best interest for them to have lost early.  The other issue that I find odd is are they really that naive to believe that Schertz was going to stay for a long time - even we understand that if he is successful he may be gone fairly soon from here.

I need to remember to come back to this thread when Schertz is moving on in a few years when I'm sure that everyone will be very composed and rational 

3 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

I need to remember to come back to this thread when Schertz is moving on in a few years when I'm sure that everyone will be very composed and rational 

I’ll admit it right now…I will most definitely be bad mouthing whatever school he leaves the Billikens for. 

slu72 likes this

2 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

The next time I read ‘Gonzaga of the Midwest’ I’m signing off forever. 

CofC is now believing they’ll become the next Zaga after hiring Mack. 

Schertz worked the ref to get that offensive foul called that helped spur the run to tie the game.

Pretty exciting stuff watching his team 

1 minute ago, CenHudDude said:

They can be the Gonzaga of the South.

Gonzaga of the low country for sure 

CenHudDude likes this

2 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

There’s a lot of division one hoops in that state, though. 

IU, ND, Purdue, Butler, Valpo, Ball State, Evansville, ISU, the UIPUIs, USI. Hell, they probably seat more fans for a Brebeuf  - Cathedral high school hoops game than they do in Terre Haute. 

You can make the same excuse about there being a lot more entertainment options in the St Louis area - Cardinals, Blues, City, Battlehawks to go along with a ton of non-sports stuff that Terre Haute doesn't have.

Bottom line - neither program has a ton of success in the recent history.  Neither program has a large enough rabid fanbase that will fill their arena to watch a mediocre product.  However, SLU has a larger fanbase and more money than ISU.  The basketball landscape sucks for them.  I'm glad they're on this run & get to enjoy some good basketball.  I'm not going to feel bad about (potentially) stealing their coach because if things go well here the same thing is going to happen to us in a few years.  That's the way of the college basketball world.

7 hours ago, brianstl said:

They need to announce before Saturday to be honest with you.  That way Schertz can go to the Final Four.  He needs to be there for press reasons and to build his staff.  If they don't have this done before that they will miss out on a great chance at publicity for the program because Schertz will be an in demand interview at the Final Four.

What about the parade in terre haute? he has to attend that!

HoosierPal likes this

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

I’d settle for being the Seton Hall of the Midwest.

I swear I posted that completely forgetting that Ind. State was playing Seton Hall tonight. 😶

I have a sinking feeling he’s gonna stay at ISU. Those fans were crazy. Give him $700k and pay those guys to return, he may be thinking I can go deep in the dance. This may be my Billiken Paranoia coming to the fore, but I think we better be looking elsewhere unless we got him by the nuts legally. 

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I have a sinking feeling he’s gonna stay at ISU. Those fans were crazy. Give him $700k and pay those guys to return, he may be thinking I can go deep in the dance. This may be my Billiken Paranoia coming to the fore, but I think we better be looking elsewhere unless we got him by the nuts legally. 

Well if SLU doesn't have Schertz locked up already and he doesn't become the SLU coach, then May is an idiot.  You don't "sit on your hands" for 2 weeks waiting for Shertz if you don't pretty much have a sealed deal ..... so I think Schertz is already signed.

AGB91 likes this