7 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's pretty much the profile of every coach being brought up for an open coaching position.  The proverbial home run hire doesn't exist for Louisville in this hiring cycle.  Sure there's Chris Mack but Louisville already fired him.

Cronin? They have the resources to poach a coach, ie Pearl, Musselman, or possibly bring Donovan back to College ball. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

The band has been told via email the AD expects to make an announcement regarding the new men's basketball coach between Tuesday and Thursday of this week upcoming. Take that for what it is.

If it is definitely Schertz, Chris May is predicting an Indiana State loss either today or Tuesday night.  Anyone betting on that?

14 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

If it is definitely Schertz, Chris May is predicting an Indiana State loss either today or Tuesday night.  Anyone betting on that?

See, that's what I'm wondering. I'd bet against Indiana State losing their next game, so I wonder if it means anything differently. 

I can't fathom Louisville hiring Schertz. I'm not saying he couldn't succeed there. I think he could and would. Louisville needs to be able to sell the hire, though. Just a few minutes ago on ESPN Seth Greenberg blurted out that Louisville should hire Chris Collins. That's a Big 10 coach playing in the round of 32 which is a far cry from a Missouri Valley coach playing in the second round of the NIT

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

The band has been told via email the AD expects to make an announcement regarding the new men's basketball coach between Tuesday and Thursday of this week upcoming. Take that for what it is.

The NIT Quarterfinals are Tuesday and Wednesday.  The next potential game for ISU would be Tuesday.  Cincy has already moved into the slot as the opponent.

I assume this email didn't come from anyone official.  Or is the Search Committee communicating with the band and not the media or boosters?  Could be. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The NIT Quarterfinals are Tuesday and Wednesday.  The next potential game for ISU would be Tuesday.  Cincy has already moved into the slot as the opponent.

I assume this email didn't come from anyone official.  Or is the Search Committee communicating with the band and not the media or boosters?  Could be. 

The AD wants the band to be at the official introduction/media announcement, so I'd imagine it's through official channels. The email was phrased that the entire department had been put "on notice" to prepare for it. 

19 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

The AD wants the band to be at the official introduction/media announcement, so I'd imagine it's through official channels. The email was phrased that the entire department had been put "on notice" to prepare for it. 

Ok.  Thanks.

I'd be looking at the list of coaches whose team has been eliminated from the NCAA tourney these past three days.  No coach will dump his team in the midst of a tourney run.

Or did the email say "as early as....."

2 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

If you read my earlier spread thread post, I show ISU winning today's game by 6.   If they win,  they will play Cinn.  ISU would be favored in that game too.  But the cumulative probability of winning both games is only 42%.  So a 58% chance of mid week announcement.

No one from the athletic department called me,  so here is how it probably went down. 

Hey, ISU has  2 games this week. What happens if they lose one of those games. We better give the band a couple of days notice to make sure someone shows up.  If ISU loses today, let's make it for Tues or Wed.  If they lose on Tues or Wed , we can make it on Wed or Thur.

What happens  if ISU wins both games?  Then tell the band we were just kidding ...and to be ready for Wed through Fri of next week ...for sure.

1 hour ago, SLUDrew said:

I can't fathom Louisville hiring Schertz. I'm not saying he couldn't succeed there. I think he could and would. Louisville needs to be able to sell the hire, though. Just a few minutes ago on ESPN Seth Greenberg blurted out that Louisville should hire Chris Collins. That's a Big 10 coach playing in the round of 32 which is a far cry from a Missouri Valley coach playing in the second round of the NIT

I’d agree the UL wants a splash hire to excite the base, but unless they play poach a coach splash mid major hires are really not out there now that Mays is off the board. I think they want a guy who has a track record in the dance. The San Diego coach might be attractive to them since the MWC is a hot conference. Schertz might do well there but is he gonna get Cardinal fans all hot and bothered? That said, this Trllly guy seems to have some pretty good sources. 
Question for SLU is who are the backups? Kelse, McMillan, Wade, McCollum, who ?????

12 hours ago, Old guy said:

Let me get this straight, it may appear that Schertz may be looking for better placement than SLU? In other words he is holding us to see if he can get  a better opportunity elsewhere? Of course, the thought will never occur to May that he may be playing us for a better deal. If he continues delaying, just screw him and go for someone else.

It makes perfect sense to me that a deal may be in place, but will not be announced until Schertz's current team completes its season.  For Schertz or any dignified coach, that is the right thing to do IMO.

4 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Well if true then Schertz has abandoned his not until the season is over - if ISU loses.  If they win then we know it is not Schertz.  At this point I am not sure how I feel about it.  Hopefully SLU did it right.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Ok.  Thanks.

I'd be looking at the list of coaches whose team has been eliminated from the NCAA tourney these past three days.  No coach will dump his team in the midst of a tourney run.

Or did the email say "as early as....."

"Put on notice" and "as early as" is essentially the same thing.

2010andBeyond likes this

3 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

When did this email go out?  I wonder if it was sent out in in an attempt to keep people from freaking out.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

When did this email go out?  I wonder if it was sent out in in an attempt to keep people from freaking out.

It came to us late last night and I read it early this morning. 

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If that’s was the plan it’s having the opposite effect for me so that sounds about right. 

Westy03 likes this

51 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

It makes perfect sense to me that a deal may be in place, but will not be announced until Schertz's current team completes its season.  For Schertz or any dignified coach, that is the right thing to do IMO.

WVBilliken there is a vast difference between the two of us. You believe that May announcement will confirm that Shertz will, I on the other hand do not believe him. I prefer to see what happens and if May is correct, good for May he managed to do something correctly. If he is not correct May confirms my belief that he is not capable of handling this hiring.

I think that if Schertz wins the NIT with his ISU team he may well try go elsewhere. Of course, we will find out what happens when it happens. And by the way, as long as they have a viable second choice candidate ready to come in, I will have no problems if Schertz decides to go elsewhere.

David King likes this

3 minutes ago, billiken class of 15 said:

Does anyone really think that May and Co. have a backup plan?

I think people ultimately more important than May to this decision have a back up plan. What I worry about is that they might have competing back up plans.  I don’t think we will have to worry about that.

AGB91 likes this

28 minutes ago, billiken class of 15 said:

Does anyone really think that May and Co. have a backup plan?

They must if Tues - Thursday this week is the announcement media time.  You can't say this and just hope ISU loses.  My money is now on somebody else other than Schertz at this point.  The reason for the delay is the finalizing of the contract.  The only way it is Schertz is if SLU said make up your mind today or else we move on and he says OK I am coming and ditching my team - do you really think that will happen?

10 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

My biggest concern is May and the big guns panic 

Panic is a strong word - perhaps a bit anxious and that is natural.  I do believe that if they have someone else in mind they can not risk losing that guy waiting around for Schertz to make up his mind or to lose.  I guess it could be Schertz if he loses today but if not I think it is someone else.  Just hope no a retread like Ford

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

They must if Tues - Thursday this week is the announcement media time.  You can't say this and just hope ISU loses.  My money is now on somebody else other than Schertz at this point.  The reason for the delay is the finalizing of the contract.  The only way it is Schertz is if SLU said make up your mind today or else we move on and he says OK I am coming and ditching my team - do you really think that will happen?

See I just read the point of the email as putting people on red alert who would need to be present at an introductory presser. I generally don't think they care or know that the things they do like this have certain optics. Truthfully, I assume that the AD thinks that stuff like this won't be shared publicly.

SLUAvtr likes this