Coaching Carousel 2024

If Jay Wright wanted to coach basketball, he’d be doing it at Villanova. In his final 6 NCAA postseasons, he won 2 National Titles, and, he went to 3 Final Fours. He was also paid $6.2 million as a top 5 paid coach nationally. 

The Big East can make it 4 National Titles in the past 8 NCAA Tourneys tonight, as Danny Hurley and UConn go for 2 in a row. Hurley makes $5.35 million. And he’ll likely get an additional raise. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, courtside said:

If Jay Wright wanted to coach basketball, he’d be doing it at Villanova. In his final 6 NCAA postseasons, he won 2 National Titles, and, he went to 3 Final Fours. He was also paid $6.2 million as a top 5 paid coach nationally. 

The Big East can make it 4 National Titles in the past 8 NCAA Tourneys tonight, as Danny Hurley and UConn go for 2 in a row. Hurley makes $5.35 million. And he’ll likely get an additional raise. 

No one ever coached stopped for a bit then coached again. Never ever happened.

Man I wonder if someone connected to UK reached out to agents of coaches that have been to the final 4? Is one or two prominent boosters  involved? 

Please give us some of your horoscope like "scoop" from all your middle school girls soccer connections.

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Man I wonder if someone connected to UK reached out to agents of coaches that have been to the final 4? Is one or two prominent boosters  involved? 

Please give us some of your horoscope like "scoop" from all your middle school girls soccer connections.

Don’t forget to fold up the card table on your way out. 

2 minutes ago, courtside said:

Don’t forget to fold up the card table on your way out. 

I'll keep refreshing this thread waiting for all your connected insider information. 

By insider information I mean cut and paste from Wikipedia and vague guesses.

Billiken Rich likes this

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm certainly in favor of courtside catching some heat, but I also recall you being a proponent of a free flow of rumors on this board, even when the sources of those rumors are FAR from credible.

7 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I bet they reached a deal like Texas and Marquette on Shaka.

So if they did reach a deal that probably means UK has the replacement lined up. 

Pitino is still kicking. But I wonder who they want?  Oats?  Beard? Pearl? Jay Wright comes back?

Hurley.  100% proven commodity.  The cost is insignificant. 

Just now, Gremio14 said:

I agree cost shouldn't be an issue.  You hear all the stories about Hurley's idiosyncrasies?  Not sure that personality type could survive the scrutiny crucible of the UK job.

If I had to bet, Nate Oats.

slu72 and Compton like this

7 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

ummm...Rick Majerus?

6 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Why leave UConn for UK?  UConn spends more money on basketball than UK, UConn will match whatever UK will pay and he is already winning at UConn.  Hell, UConn is the better basketball program with 5 championships in the last 25 years. UConn is honestly the premier college basketball program today.

Schasz and billiken_roy like this

12 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I agree cost shouldn't be an issue.  You hear all the stories about Hurley's idiosyncrasies?  Not sure that personality type could survive the scrutiny crucible of the UK job.

If we’re talking Vegas, I’ll take three against the field (Hurley, Oats, Donovan.)

7 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Top Nine list for UK:  Jay Wright, Danny Hurley, Rick Pitino, TJ Otzelberger, Bryce Drew, Nate Oats, Bruce Pearl, Tommy Lloyd, and Billy Donovan (per speculative article).

Did you forget Ahern?  Seems like a hot commodity.  (Blue font)

Compton likes this

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Why leave UConn for UK?  UConn spends more money on basketball than UK, UConn will match whatever UK will pay and he is already winning at UConn.  Hell, UConn is the better basketball program with 5 championships in the last 25 years. UConn is honestly the premier college basketball program today.

If I remember correctly, you’re a savvy soccer guy.  UConn is Germany.  UK is Brazil.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

UK Basketball is to Kentucky like the Cardinals are to St. Louis.  It's a big part of the identity of most of the state. Only Kansas basketball is really on that level. That kinda pull, celebrity, influence just doesn't exist at UCONN.  Some may revel in that kinda situation and others want nothing to do with it.   My guess is it's not Hurley's thing.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Oats just signed a big extension and is getting everything he could ask for at 'bama (including being one of the five highest paid coaches), he now carries a hefty buyout, and doesn't have any legacy UK connections. UK could overcome anything, but I think those obstacles take him out of the front-runner position.

Article and others say Donovan is the splash hire.  Hurley has been and always will be an East Coast guy.  He can play a substantial raise out of this and another title.  Wright has an easy TV gig and speculation is he wants no part of the portal and NIL.  Pitino is a no way and is currently 71 years old.  Oltzerberger and Oats have huge buyouts.  Pearl has significant baggage as we all know.  Bryce Drew appears second choice.  Tommy Lloyd a west coast guy.

7 hours ago, ACE said:

I'm certainly in favor of courtside catching some heat, but I also recall you being a proponent of a free flow of rumors on this board, even when the sources of those rumors are FAR from credible.

If you’re going to post 40 times a day, every single day then you’re going to end up talking out of both sides of your mouth a lot. 

Bills71 likes this

6 minutes ago, DOC said:

If you’re going to post 40 times a day, every single day then you’re going to end up talking out of both sides of your mouth a lot. 

It's cute you two seeking attention.  Sorry I didn't respond sooner Brighton's mom wouldn't stop texting me.

You don't have to get negative attention.  You could say something intelligent about basketball and discuss things like an adult.  But that would require you to know something.

thetorch likes this

10 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

did not the late great Rick Majerus stop for a bit then coached again?

4 minutes ago, almaman said:

did not the late great Rick Majerus stop for a bit then coached again?

Yeah sorry I was being flippant pointing out a flaw in the middle school girl's soccer experts posts.

42 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

It's cute you two seeking attention.  Sorry I didn't respond sooner Brighton's mom wouldn't stop texting me.

You don't have to get negative attention.  You could say something intelligent about basketball and discuss things like an adult.  But that would require you to know something.

You’re the Alex Jones of the board and you got a nice like by your sidekick- who was still peddling the Ahearn fake news a couple days ago 😃. Sources and credibility don’t matter. Conspiracy theories run wild!

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

40 times a day is insane by any measure.