Coaching Carousel 2024

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/30/2024 at 6:23 AM, Slowry said:

I’m okay with that.  Charleston is a great city to visit.  

Totally didn't think about that angle when it was discussed.   We need more southern teams in the A-10.  Most destinations are bitter cold to watch a Billiken conference road game.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Chris Mack is hiring Harriman. 

With Schertz's system requiring bigs that are a threat to shoot from outside, I was really hoping he would stay here.

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Totally didn't think about that angle when it was discussed.   We need more southern teams in the A-10.  Most destinations are bitter cold to watch a Billiken conference road game.

Charleston is a 3-hour drive from me.   I would LOVE CofC to be in the A10!!!!!

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Booooooooooo. Programs closer to SLU >

With Mack at the helm, they should be better than half of the A-10 very quickly.

Also, being better than SLU isn't hard after this past season.

slu92 likes this

not sure i understand the over the top love for harriman.   yes he brought a couple of nice players to slu when rickma was the coach.   after that he went to a couple of other schools and failed miserably.   he came back here this year and i am sure expectations were such he would bring us top foreign players.   how'd that work out?   

i talked to him in myrtle beach.   he seems to be a very nice man.   and my conversation didnt appear to be forced or patronizing on his part.   but i just dont see the accomplishments that coach schertz would feel the need to have to have him on the staff.   if he did want him, fine.   other than tate, i really didnt have anyone i'd rather have.  and even tate, if coach schertz didnt find him as a good fit to his picture for his staff so be it.   move along.  

JMM28 likes this

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

not sure i understand the over the top love for harriman.   yes he brought a couple of nice players to slu when rickma was the coach.   after that he went to a couple of other schools and failed miserably.   he came back here this year and i am sure expectations were such he would bring us top foreign players.   how'd that work out?   

i talked to him in myrtle beach.   he seems to be a very nice man.   and my conversation didnt appear to be forced or patronizing on his part.   but i just dont see the accomplishments that coach schertz would feel the need to have to have him on the staff.   if he did want him, fine.   other than tate, i really didnt have anyone i'd rather have.  and even tate, if coach schertz didnt find him as a good fit to his picture for his staff so be it.   move along.  

I have thought this also - he really hasn't caught the lightning in a bottle that we all expected.

Wait what?! Who had expectations for him bringing in these great players? He was brought in because we were not winning in the portal and he had overseas connections the current staff did not. Did we think Kuany Kuany was a possibility, sure. But I think the hope was that he would bring a different mindset to the staff and program. But he is an assistant who was here for 9 months. 

Dr. Holly Hills and Zink like this

Other than his fantastic wife, I've never understood the fascination with Andy Enfield. The jump to SMU seems like him bolting before USC closed the door. He's a classic example of kind of a one-hit wonder - wins a couple of games in the Tourney and all of the sudden is the flavor of the month for P6 jobs.

slu92 likes this

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Other than his fantastic wife, I've never understood the fascination with Andy Enfield. The jump to SMU seems like him bolting before USC closed the door. He's a classic example of kind of a one-hit wonder - wins a couple of games in the Tourney and all of the sudden is the flavor of the month for P6 jobs.

Dude has been to a Sweet 16 and an Elite Eight. He has a 7-6 record in the NCAA tournament.  He isn’t John Wooden, but he isn’t Travis Ford either.

6 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

soft. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

soft. Sorry.

I’ve been to road games at VCU (twice), Dayton (three times), Butler (twice), Fordham, St. Joe, Duquesne, and Davidson.  Most of these were in bitter cold temperatures.  So, no, not soft.  Just wouldn’t mind more trips like the one to Davidson last year where it was in the low 60s.

13 hours ago, brianstl said:

Dude has been to a Sweet 16 and an Elite Eight. He has a 7-6 record in the NCAA tournament.  He isn’t John Wooden, but he isn’t Travis Ford either.

As I mentioned, yes he had the Sweet 16 at his second year at Gulf Coast - it very quickly catapulted him to a P6 job. 

This is a recap of his time at USC

Year 1) Losing record, which is understandable

2) No improvement, 12-20

3) Broke through, made the Dance, lost in the first round

4) Another step forward, made the Dance and advanced to the 2nd round

5) Missed the Dance

6) Missed the Dance, had a losing record

7) They were on the Bubble (right along with SLU) with a NET of 45 when the season was cancelled

8   This was his big breakthrough with an Elite 9 Run

9) Made Dance, lost in the first round

10) Made Dance, lost in the first round

11) Had a losing record

Had a 106-100 record in the Pac-12. He brought in some talent and not a terrible tenure, but kind of ho-hum. It will be interesting to see what he does at SMU. He may change my perception. He should be able to recruit better than SMU has had in the past because they are now in the ACC, but then again, he will be swimming with sharks. Also, a Texas school in the ACC is curious. The league will lag behind the Big 12 and SEC in regards to interest in that area.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  

Assuming it's Schertz, ISU may promote his lead assistant to the HC spot.  That may open up some spots on his staff, there are some interesting former HC's from the area that could be hired.  SMS D. Ford, UIC Yaklich, SIUC Mullins.  Total spit balling here but the MVC guys Schertz should know and they're in the area.  Yaklich, I mention as he's known to be the architect of the last good Michigan (2018) team's defense and thus he was hired away by Shaka Smart to Texas to help with the D.  He also worked in the MVC at Ill St. in 2017. That Michigan defense went from KenPom Adj Eff 69 to 2. 

18 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Assuming it's Schertz, ISU may promote his lead assistant to the HC spot.  That may open up some spots on his staff, there are some interesting former HC's from the area that could be hired.  SMS D. Ford, UIC Yaklich, SIUC Mullins.  Total spit balling here but the MVC guys Schertz should know and they're in the area.  Yaklich, I mention as he's known to be the architect of the last good Michigan (2018) team's defense and thus he was hired away by Shaka Smart to Texas to help with the D.  He also worked in the MVC at Ill St. in 2017. That Michigan defense went from KenPom Adj Eff 69 to 2. 

Mullins has already been hired as an assistant coach at DePaul.

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Harriman did not waste anytime on the unemployment line. Good for Harry, wish we would have kept him. 

I like that the national perception is that we are underachieving given our potential.

ST. LOUIS

Out : Travis Ford
SLU sacked Ford moments after the team's season ended in the A-10 Tournament. He was there eight seasons and went to one NCAA Tournament. Many in the business believe this program has been an underachiever vs. its potential for decades. With no hire yet, it's only fair to assume SLU is waiting on a coach whose season is still ongoing. Josh Schertz is the presumptive guy here.