Transfers - 2024

ACE

7 minutes ago, ThreeTimeBilliken said:

Avila with the nickname of Cream Abdul-Jabbar is one of the greatest nicknames ever. 

I like Steph Blurry and Larry Blurred as well!! From now on Cream’s initials will be CAJ.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, ChiBilliken14 said:

Everywhere you look Avila is from some different suburb of Chicago. He’s from Oak Forest, very different place than Lake Forest lol 

Couldn’t be more different haha

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I’m sorry son, but you must have him confused with someone else. His name is Roger Murdock.

one of my alltime favorite movies.  thanks for the smile tonight Brian!

57 minutes ago, ChiBilliken14 said:

Everywhere you look Avila is from some different suburb of Chicago. He’s from Oak Forest, very different place than Lake Forest lol 

They have him confused with Bob Vila who lives in Lake Forest.

1 hour ago, ThreeTimeBilliken said:

Avila with the nickname of Cream Abdul-Jabbar is one of the greatest nicknames ever. 

And you could argue a few of the other nicknames are better. So many quality ones.

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I understand but here's a reason for optimism.

Avila and Conwell were only Sophomores.

Kent, Swope, Larry were Juniors.

Not 1 Senior in the starting 5.

If he gets the band back together, there's some room for improvement physically and technically.

Of course, all there is right now is optimism.  I mean we're talking about a range of outcomes that puts us anywhere from maybe 20th to 70th in the nation depending on who we get, player improvement, etc.  Last season I was dreaming about a high side of 130ish and we ended up at 199, so the low end of possibilities may have been a little below that.

25 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Of course, all there is right now is optimism.  I mean we're talking about a range of outcomes that puts us anywhere from maybe 20th to 70th in the nation depending on who we get, player improvement, etc.  Last season I was dreaming about a high side of 130ish and we ended up at 199, so the low end of possibilities may have been a little below that.

Coach Schertz's team just finished runner-up in the NIT.  They were the number one seed. If four starters end up in Billiken uniforms, that's something like 80% of the scoring returning.  Add Jimerson or a significant portal player and that roster is even more talented than the one Coach Schertz had at ISU.

We will have more "knowns" than just about any mid-major in the country.  You've seen enough previews to know that translates into a preseason top 25 ranking.  This is the toughest position there is in coaching.  To win when everybody expects you to.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Coach Schertz's team just finished runner-up in the NIT.  They were the number one seed. If four starters end up in Billiken uniforms, that's something like 80% of the scoring returning.  Add Jimerson or a significant portal player and that roster is even more talented than the one Coach Schertz has now.

We will have more "knowns" than just about any mid-major in the country.  You've seen enough previews to know that translates into a preseason top 25 ranking.  This is the toughest position there is in coaching.  To win when everybody expects you to.

Found that out in the 22-23 season; SLU is a potential sweet 16 team. NOT. 

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Coach Schertz's team just finished runner-up in the NIT.  They were the number one seed. If four starters end up in Billiken uniforms, that's something like 80% of the scoring returning.  Add Jimerson or a significant portal player and that roster is even more talented than the one Coach Schertz had at ISU.

Interesting point at first I thought about what they accomplished last year with limited expectations and worried he couldn't deal. But then I realized Coach Schertz has dealt with expectations in DII when he built a powerhouse. 

More attention, more media, more pressure but the good ones get it done and sustain success.  

Much better to be in this position than one with no hope, no expectations.

Need a little depth too, because I've heard injuries can be a problem.