Transfers - 2024

ACE

25 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Roster bits:

• Avila is 99% a Billiken
  • Expect 3-4 of ISU’s starters to be Billiken locks, with potential for more
  • Strong mutual desire for Gibson and Larry to stay and be strong parts of the rotation, with heavy playcalling revolving around Gibson
  • Strong interest in Turnbull (appears mutual)
  • Christian Nitu out of Canada looking very positive

towel me. 

Billiken Rich and SLU_Nick like this

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Per 247sports Portal Ratings

https://247sports.com/season/2024-basketball/transferportal/

ISU players and their star/numerical ratings (which must be based on HS ratings)

C Avila 2star 0.78

SG Eli Shetlar 3star 0.81

PG Julian Larry 3star 0.81

CG Conwell 3star 0.81

SF Kent N/A

SLU players

Ez 3star 0.86

Magassa N/A

Jimmerson #81 ranked player in the portal, 4star rising stock symbol 0.91

Medley 3star 0.86

Parker #94 ranked player in the portal, 4star, 0.91

46 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

I am sure CJS reviewed some game tapes & got some recommendations from Tate.

I wonder if he had some individual 'come to Jesus' meetings with individuals and saying 'I see limited playing time for you for the upcoming season' ?

He may pretty much know who transferring in from ISU.

My assumption as well. Hopefully it is a sign that CJS is confident enough about who is coming in that he could honestly tell Curcic his chances for minutes would be limited. 

Here is how Avila, Kent, Swope, and Gibby ranked in the A10 this year in case people didn't see my post a few weeks ago(according to T-rank). 

Avila #2

Kent #3

Jimerson #14

Swope #27

If we get Conwell #5 or Larry #13.

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Here is how Avila, Kent, Swope, and Gibby ranked in the A10 this year in case people didn't see my post a few weeks ago(according to T-rank). 

Avila #2

Kent #3

Jimerson #14

Swope #27

Interesting, what's T ranks metric?

Just now, wgstl said:

Like what goes into it or what is T - rank?

Both how do they determine the ranking and also what is it, I'm not familiar

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

Both how do they determine the ranking and also what is it, I'm not familiar

Im not sure what goes into it, here is the link.  It lets you play around with stats more than a Kenpom etc.

https://barttorvik.com/#

58 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I think there's a ton of hype around the program right now and sometimes that can lead to wishful thinking by coaches but if even 60% of what was said by TheOne is true, we are the A10 favorites next year

I'm hyped, but always want to have realistic expectations.  We can't take winning the A10 as a given.

Indiana State finished 38 in KenPom ranking this past season.  They did not make the field as an at-large.  Dayton finished 32 in KenPom.  Dayton was cleared viewed as the "best" team in the A10, but finished 3rd in the standings.

cgeldmacher and Bizziken like this

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm hyped, but always want to have realistic expectations.  We can't take winning the A10 as a given.

Indiana State finished 38 in KenPom ranking this past season.  They did not make the field as an at-large.  Dayton finished 32 in KenPom.  Dayton was cleared viewed as the "best" team in the A10, but finished 3rd in the standings.

Only they would've made the field if they were in the A10. A more visible conference nationally plus Avila's star power.

David King likes this

1 hour ago, TheOne said:

Roster bits:

• Avila is 99% a Billiken
  • Expect 3-4 of ISU’s starters to be Billiken locks, with potential for more
  • Strong mutual desire for Gibson and Larry to stay and be strong parts of the rotation, with heavy playcalling revolving around Gibson
  • Strong interest in Turnbull (appears mutual)
  • Christian Nitu out of Canada looking very positive

this is exciting, particularly Nitu from what i have read and watched utube videos.   Utube video are always typically over the top but even then, if the video's are generally accurate of Nitu's game, he would seem to fit into Schertz style perfectly.  

32 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im not sure what goes into it, here is the link.  It lets you play around with stats more than a Kenpom etc.

https://barttorvik.com/#

Ok got it l, yeah I've checked Torvik before be seems to be getting more helium lately than I've noticed before.  If you pay at KenPom there's a lot of different data sets.

30 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I understand but here's a reason for optimism.

Avila and Conwell were only Sophomores.

Kent, Swope, Larry were Juniors.

Not 1 Senior in the starting 5.

If he gets the band back together, there's some room for improvement physically and technically.

• thamel_pete.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Pete Thamel, ESPN Apr 9, 2024

Indiana State star Robbie Avila, one of the breakout stars of the 2023-24 college basketball season, has entered the NCAA transfer portal.

Avila, a 6-foot-10 sophomore center, averaged 17.4 points and 4.1 assists for Indiana State this season, earning first-team All-Missouri Valley honors. Along the way, he became one of the sport's most endearing personalities, as the combination of his trademark goggles and playing at Larry Bird's former school earned him nicknames like "Cream Abdul-Jabbar," "Larry Nerd" and "Steph Blurry."

Sources told ESPN that Avila is a strong favorite to follow former ISU coach Josh Schertz to Saint Louis, where Schertz was hired in the wake of ISU's regular-season Missouri Valley title and a run to the NIT Finals.

Avila's portal entry is marked by a red exclamation point, which means not to reach out to him, a sign that he's already made up his mind on his destination.

Indiana State went 32-7 last season and was widely considered one of the biggest snubs from the NCAA tournament. It earned a No. 1 seed in the NIT and beat SMU, Minnesota, Cincinnati and Utah in the NIT, before falling to Seton Hall in the final.

Avila is one of eight Indiana State basketball players to enter the portal in the past two days, which includes the team's five leading scorers. There's a chance many of the five end up following Schertz to Saint Louis, although none have marked their portal entry with requests not to contact.

Avila is joined in the portal by guard Ryan Conwell (16.6 PPG), guard Isaiah Swope (15.9 PPG), guard Jayson Kent (13.5 PPG) and guard Julian Larry (11.0 PPG). There's a strong chance that Saint Louis' lineup has a similar feel to ISU's last season.

Avila is from Lake Forest, Illinois, and shows an uncanny feel and touch for the game. He's a deft passer and helps makes Schertz's offense flow as one of the most aesthetically pleasing and effective in the country. Indiana State finished No. 1 in college basketball in effective field goal percentage (59.8%) and two-point percentage (62.4%).

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Avila #2

Kent #3

Jimerson #14

Swope #27

Yeah, this roughly aligns to Box Plus/Minus on cbref.com; basically, how far above or below average were you on offense and defense in your minutes. Pretty solid advanced metric to use to evaluate players.

Definitely seems like advance stats show Swope as the lowest rated Sycamore starter, with Avila>Conwell>Kent>Larry. Swope is rated similarly to Hargrove.

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

A few thoughts on ISU and the internet:

- I haven't gone over to the ISU message boards. I'm sure some of it has been nasty but it's to be expected.

- Fan bases don't speak as one unified voice and definitionally anyone that posts a lot on a message board is going to be an outlier. Taken further, if all you do is read the loudest, most obnoxious voices in a group that is already loud an obnoxious (i.e. internet posters) you are going to get a bad view of that fanbase/group.

- I've seen a lot of people on this board and twitter over the past few weeks say something along the lines "I/we won't react poorly if this happens to us in a few years because it means we will have had a great couple of years." I think that's complete B.S. If the same thing was happening to us that is happening to them, people would be naturally pissed and it only takes 5% of the posters to make an entire fanbase look crazy. Is Billikens.com and Billiken twitter really so unified in thought that 5% of this board couldn't make us look stupid and unreasonable???

They have moved on to attacking the players' mothers on X.