Transfers - 2024

ACE

39 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

Separate conversations with Cusamano and Trilly.

Two people whose knowledge differs vastly.

I would love to see Schertz bring his rotation with him. It's a tall order, though. As soon as their names hit the portal, those guys are going to get offers. SLU probably can't match or beat all of them.

Seems like the most common realistic number is 2. Odom brought 2 guys to VCU, Sprinkle brought 2 guys to Utah State, just to use a couple examples we saw this season. Kelsey is bringing 2 to Louisville.

Maybe we should hope for 5 or 6, expect 2, and maybe we'll get something in between.

CenHudDude and gabriel like this

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Pistol said:

Two people whose knowledge differs vastly.

I would love to see Schertz bring his rotation with him. It's a tall order, though. As soon as their names hit the portal, those guys are going to get offers. SLU probably can't match or beat all of them.

Seems like the most common realistic number is 2. Odom brought 2 guys to VCU, Sprinkle brought 2 guys to Utah State, just to use a couple examples we saw this season. Kelsey is bringing 2 to Louisville.

Maybe we should hope for 5 or 6, expect 2, and maybe we'll get something in between.

Correct. That's why I haven't spoken in absolutes about it. Cusamano told me that Schertz told him that he expected his starting five to follow him. Trilly told me in a discord chat that Avila is a near-lock and that industry speculation is that Schertz is taking his team with him. My two cents, I have to assume NIL allotment was a big part of any discussion prior to him taking the job. Especially because he's coming from such a limited resource situation. For Schertz to tell Frank that he thought his starting five would follow, he must've received some assurances of the annual NIL picture and feels that he could work within it. I also think some of his guys are probably more valuable in his system as opposed to another coach's offensive framework. 

VeniceMenace likes this

2 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

Correct. That's why I haven't spoken in absolutes about it. Cusamano told me that Schertz told him that he expected his starting five to follow him. Trilly told me in a discord chat that Avila is a near-lock and that industry speculation is that Schertz is taking his team with him. My two cents, I have to assume NIL allotment was a big part of any discussion prior to him taking the job. Especially because he's coming from such a limited resource situation. For Schertz to tell Frank that he thought his starting five would follow, he must've received some assurances of the annual NIL picture and feels that he could work within it. I also think some of his guys are probably more valuable in his system as opposed to another coach's offensive framework. 

This has been my speculation.  See previous posts, they're interviewing Schertz and he wants certain guarantees, NIL funding being one of them. He probably knows what these guys get in Terre Haute and what they'd want to transfer.  Now that can change if they get bigger offers. However, I think SLU has the inside track on competitive offers.  What's a few hundred thousand more after you've already spent $10mi?

He probably asked about assistant salaries too. The things he wants to be successful.

If he did indeed choose SLU over Louisville then he got the guarantees he wanted.

If big money boosters already committed to a $10mil buyout, they decided they were all in.  

28 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

Cusumano is not a good source.

44 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He has nothing to gain by lying to me in a private twitter message about a phone call he had with Schertz. This isn't the same thing as him pushing Ahearn or being buddies with Ford. He didn't say it was a lock, only that Schertz told him that he expected his starting five to follow. Again, could SLU get "outbid"... sure. But the ISU guys received little to no NIL money this year. I would have to think Schertz would know roughly what it would take to get his guys to follow him and made sure the NIL funding would be there for anyone he wanted to bring with him.

Bizziken likes this

4 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

He has nothing to gain by lying to me in a private twitter message about a phone call he had with Schertz. This isn't the same thing as him pushing Ahearn or being buddies with Ford. He didn't say it was a lock, only that Schertz told him that he expected his starting five to follow. Again, could SLU get "outbid"... sure. But the ISU guys received little to no NIL money this year. I would have to think Schertz would know roughly what it would take to get his guys to follow him and made sure the NIL funding would be there for anyone he wanted to bring with him.

I'm glad he's communicating with you.  He blocked me. 🤣

14 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

Besides making himself look like he knows some .

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

It depends. Frank is very tight with Corey Tate and has been a very good source of recruiting news - often breaking it. If Tate is no longer in the picture, who knows if he'll be able to develop other good sources. The Ahearn stuff is silly, but it's really more editorializing on his radio show, rather than providing "news." He's probably connected with the Ahearn family and got wrapped up in that nonsense. He is a media member who actually gives SLU a lot of coverage and catches a lot of crap from fans of other teams for giving us too much coverage. I expect he'll provide a lot of positive coverage on the Schertz hire. 

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Besides making himself look like he knows some .

Again, I'm not sure what the point would be. It was private message. Its not like I'm a national writer or anything that he could get clout with. Just someone he's met a few times through one of his sons and talks SLU basketball on occasion.

Bizziken likes this

32 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

Again, I'm not sure what the point would be. It was private message. Its not like I'm a national writer or anything that he could get clout with. Just someone he's met a few times through one of his sons and talks SLU basketball on occasion.

I appreciate your info Blizz.  I also think it's correct with the caveat we could get outbid.

Bizziken likes this

On 3/31/2024 at 9:48 AM, gabriel said:

We can all agree, SLU wasn’t the right fit for this kid last year but neither was creighton

IMG_3885.png

What a bonehead move this guy made.  Got zero playing time at Creighton and would have gotten a ton of playing time here.

7 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It seems to me like this board thinks he's a good source when we like what he is saying and thinks he is not a good source when we don't.

I would very much like it if JS brought 5 players. I don’t think that’s feasible. It’s not wether I like what he’s saying. It’s wether or not I think he’s correct. 

Since Schertz has been tight lipped about his move to SLU, it is safe to assume he has had NO conversations about it with his players. One or more players may have expressed interest to him, based on the rumored move, but that would be the most that would have transpired. Schertz knows who he would like to have and what it will likely cost. SLU no doubt agreed to an NIL  commitment that he can win with. 

I'm not sure how much if any transfer dialog with a player prior to their entering portal is acceptable? Alsi, a discussion like that with a player would quickly go viral. I think Schertz is being careful and will move quickly, once things are public.

ACE likes this

31 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It seems to me like this board thinks he's a good source when we like what he is saying and thinks he is not a good source when we don't.

I don't think he's a good source.

20 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Since Schertz has been tight lipped about his move to SLU, it is safe to assume he has had NO conversations about it with his players. One or more players may have expressed interest to him, based on the rumored move, but that would be the most that would have transpired. Schertz knows who he would like to have and what it will likely cost. SLU no doubt agreed to an NIL  commitment that he can win with. 

I'm not sure how much if any transfer dialog with a player prior to their entering portal is acceptable? Alsi, a discussion like that with a player would quickly go viral. I think Schertz is being careful and will move quickly, once things are public.

Schertz being tight lipped in no way proves he hasn't talked with his players about this or at least implied it.

53 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Schertz being tight lipped in no way proves he hasn't talked with his players about this or at least implied it.

Yeah things can be said without being said.  Or they have a good team culture and things in the locker room stay in the locker room.

22 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:
  • I think it is interesting that 1.5 years after contacting BVF, I got an email today asking if I wanted to talk with them.  Better late than never, eh?
    It actually came from Matthew Jakobsze, J.D.
  • Assistant Athletics Director for Compliance and NIL
  • Billiken Athletics

Jakobsze on paper is one of the best and most interesting hires SLU has made.  Glad to see he is taking a prominent role in BVF.

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah things can be said without being said.  Or they have a good team culture and things in the locker room stay in the locker room.

I'll disagree with you. Something as big as changing schools and NIL money, a player is most likely  going to tell a friend, girl friend and or a parent. 5 players, no way that stays sealed. 

2 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

Yes he does.  His #1 option should be SLU under Coach Schertz.

Well, yes, would love to get him back to SLU.  But an advanced degree from a top business school like Northwestern would look nice on the resume.