GDT: SLU v. La Salle

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perkins 33 points ties him for 24th on the All Time SLU Single 30 Point Game list; tied with Perkins, Mitchell, Love, Burden, Wiley twice, Ferry twice, and McLaughlin. 

Only 40 point games are Bonner, Rogers, and Hughes.  It would have been interesting to see if Parker could have topped 40, had he played more than the 18 minutes in the game.

VeniceMenace and willie like this

37 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If we can get the old Jimerson back, the Bills at least have a chance to a respectable end of the season.   I've given up hope on marginal improvement to the defense.  First team to 80 wins.

well if Travis would institute this press he's been talking about for 8 years and said they had been prepping all preseason to do.

44 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

well if Travis would institute this press he's been talking about for 8 years and said they had been prepping all preseason to do.

And shoot how many ever three attempts he promised.

This is the version of Parker we knew existed but just hadn't emerged all the way yet. Cut him loose, give him some run, and let him cook. It helps that La Salle is terrible and left gaping holes for him to operate in, and the pace of this game was conducive to getting him in rhythm.

I could see this Parker showing up in more games down the stretch. Maybe even at St. Joe's this weekend. We still have Duquesne, GW, Rhode Island - there are some very winnable games left even if we're not going to be favored.

wgstl likes this

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is the version of Parker we knew existed but just hadn't emerged all the way yet. Cut him loose, give him some run, and let him cook. It helps that La Salle is terrible and left gaping holes for him to operate in, and the pace of this game was conducive to getting him in rhythm.

I could see this Parker showing up in more games down the stretch. Maybe even at St. Joe's this weekend. We still have Duquesne, GW, Rhode Island - there are some very winnable games left even if we're not going to be favored.

In an ideal world, We play a lot better and finish "strong" and still have a coaching change.  Hoping for this scenario, at least. 

We also talk about shooting more 3's, that will easily happen with Parker getting 20+ min a game. The question is can Parker sustain a % near 40.  The 21% up till Fordham was killing us. 

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

We also talk about shooting more 3's, that will easily happen with Parker getting 20+ min a game. The question is can Parker sustain a % near 40.  The 21% up till Fordham was killing us. 

He's just going to be a streaky player, not sure there's a way around that. But yeah, you hope over time that his 3P% settles into a mid-high 30% range.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He's just going to be a streaky player, not sure there's a way around that. But yeah, you hope over time that his 3P% settles into a mid-high 30% range.

He shot a 40% clip in conf last year, but a leg injury won’t help. 

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I think this is the most points we have scored in an A10 game. 102.

Someone mentioned we had gone over 100 in one other game many years ago. If I recall correctly in the 1950s.

23 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

If we can get the old Jimerson back, the Bills at least have a chance to a respectable end of the season.   I've given up hope on marginal improvement to the defense.  First team to 80 wins.

We're just seeing what Gibby looks like without Yuri... which is a less efficient Gibby.

Gibson has been drawing the best guard defender, now teams may put the best guard defender on Parker and try to provide some help. Gibson should get loose more often. Ez should have more freedom of movement inside as well. Now if our guys can recognize when they are getting doubled and find the open man, we should get easier shots.

34 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This where you say: Oh this offense has some firepower, why don't we go ahead and just throw the kitchen sink pressure wise on defense and see what we can come up with. 

this roster of Billikens needs to minimize possession counts. That is not minimizing possessions. High %, low possessions.

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

Gibson has been drawing the best guard defender, now teams may put the best guard defender on Parker and try to provide some help. Gibson should get loose more often. Ez should have more freedom of movement inside as well. Now if our guys can recognize when they are getting doubled and find the open man, we should get easier shots.

This!  Our guys finally start looking for the open man rather than forcing shots when well guarded…we’ll be tough to beat in the A10.

It’s really this simple.

8 minutes ago, Soderball said:

this roster of Billikens needs to minimize possession counts. That is not minimizing possessions. High %, low possessions.

I understand that’s convention but we’re already giving up a horrendous amount of points on defense. We’ve got players who can score, but a bad offense. We’re 2-8 in conference. Half court offense and defense, slow the game down just hasn’t worked. 

1 minute ago, Gremio14 said:

This!  Our guys finally start looking for the open man rather than forcing shots when well guarded…we’ll be tough to beat in the A10.

It’s really this simple.

We gave up 84 points to LaSalle, if nothing changes on defense this team won’t be tough to beat. 

Box and Won likes this

2 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

It’s really this simple.

Tough to beat? We're 2-8 and lost to Fordham at home.

People get really insane any time they see a single positive thing. The Billikens shot 41% from three. 102 points. The last time we scored this many points was in the 1950s(?) ..

I watched a much better team than this score 19 points in the lowest point total in the shot clock era, too. That team had Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell on it.

Weird stuff happens in sports, it just does. it is HARD to lose every game.

Losing every game is just as difficult and impressive as winning every game. That's sports. That's how it is.

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

We gave up 84 points to LaSalle, if nothing changes on defense this team won’t be tough to beat. 

They score 84, we score 85.  Simple…and we have the shooters/athletes to do it.  I have complete faith that an open GJ, Parker or LHII will make the vast majority of their shots.  And possibly add Thames to the mix…have not seen him put up enough 3’s to gauge.

I don’t think the defense is going to improve, not going happen.  So only option is to get it done on offense.  Again, simple….

2 minutes ago, Soderball said:

People get really insane any time they see a single positive thing. The Billikens shot 41% from three. 102 points. The last time we scored this many points was in the 1950s(?) ..

I watched a much better team than this score 19 points in the lowest point total in the shot clock era, too. That team had Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell on it.

Losing every game is just as difficult and impressive as winning every game. That's sports. That's how it is.

5 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I hear you.  I’m a half full guy.  Saw a path out of the darkness in the last game.

Now let’s give it full gas!