Chris May podcast

7 hours ago, Brighton said:

I wish I could like this.

I don’t even know who we would want to replace Chris May at this point. 
everyone has their opinions on who to replace Ford with. Who the hell are we gonna replace Chris May with? 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

I don’t even know who we would want to replace Chris May at this point. 
everyone has their opinions on who to replace Ford with. Who the hell are we gonna replace Chris May with? 

Maryville or Lindenwood AD, someone that’s an AAD at a non football d1 university, big East for instance

thatskablamo likes this

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Maryville or Lindenwood AD, someone that’s an AAD at a non football d1 university, big East for instance

Is there anyone in that space who has any ties to SLU at all? Not that it matters, but it might be nice to find someone who cares about the University as a whole; its past, present and future. 

2 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Is there anyone in that space who has any ties to SLU at all? Not that it matters, but it might be nice to find someone who cares about the University as a whole; its past, present and future. 

All I care about is building a successful basketball program and using that to continue our success in the non-rev sports. The rest will follow.

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I was thinking the assistant at JMU which has done really well with a transition and in FB,MBB. But it does make sense to get one from a BE Catholic School that understands the type of organization they would join. Maybe the Assistant AD from Marquette.

18 hours ago, Pistol said:

Real question: What would you do if you could call the shots for SLU?

I would hire an AD who would spend the bulk of his or her time networking with, and influencing, those who call the shots in the Big East, which presumably should be easy because the AD should be hired because of his or her knowledge, strategy, influence, and connections in this area. The SLU AD's primary job is to get SLU in the Big East and ensure we are always top 75+ in men's basketball. Anything else is a failure. 

I would identify and hire as the men's basketball head coach the most dynamic and connected assistant coach who has prior experience with a Big East team and who can be hired for a million a year or less. I would then redirect all fundraising efforts towards NIL money for men's basketball. 

I would ensure the AD hired and empowered a staff who can effectively manage the other day-to-day stuff, while the AD focused on the conference affiliation and men's basketball success. 

16 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I would hire an AD who would spend the bulk of his or her time networking with, and influencing, those who call the shots in the Big East, which presumably should be easy because the AD should be hired because of his or her knowledge, strategy, influence, and connections in this area. The SLU AD's primary job is to get SLU in the Big East and ensure we are always top 75+ in men's basketball. Anything else is a failure. 

I would identify and hire as the men's basketball head coach the most dynamic and connected assistant coach who has prior experience with a Big East team and who can be hired for a million a year or less. I would then redirect all fundraising efforts towards NIL money for men's basketball. 

I would ensure the AD hired and empowered a staff who can effectively manage the other day-to-day stuff, while the AD focused on the conference affiliation and men's basketball success. 

I don’t have the power to make this call, but you’re hired.

6 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don’t have the power to make this call, but you’re hired.

Are we in any position to have that conversation as it stands on this, the third of February anno domini two thousand and twenty four? All this talk of Big East, I’d take a .500 team first. 

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

By the time we get a big east invite, all the current big east schools will have moved on to something bigger 

Nope, they are all stuck in the perpetuity of not mattering in 5-10 years.  

The Big Ten and SEC are exploring options together now.  Translation….the are starting a super league in 6-10 years.  It’s over as we know it, non power football schools will be left into their own world.  

The Big XII and ACC schools will start jockeying to be included, it will end up being 48-60 schools and basketball schools won’t be a part of it.

Coast-to-coast super conferences of 20 teams each.  The Big Ten, the SEC, the Big Twelve and the ACC.  That will be 80 teams controlling all of college sports.  These will be the new minor leagues for the NFL and NBA and schools currently in conferences below that will be the new minor leagues for them.  I watch some FCS football now.  I'll likely do the same for the new D2 in college basketball.

I’d like to find a former basketball player or coach who has real world business experience.  Will raise money and would be credible on day one to fans and donors as the next AD. Scott Highmark would be dream candidate!!!! And he is from St. Louis! Even better! 

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Because the BVF?  Because he's a realtor?

Why?

I think because #1 he knows basketball and intangibles to hiring a good coach/leader. #2 I think he could raise money, bring in new money, #3 loves St. Louis and slu and genuinely wants to see it thrive and would want to be there long-term. Young, very likable and good business sense, it’s not unheard of now AD’s being hired from outside business world. Again, maybe not him or Highmark per se, but I like the idea of a person like them if makes sense? They can hire staff to fill any blind spots or inexperience running an athletic department just focus on raising money and mbb immediately. It’s like with coaching names, gotta have college experience, etc…uh crews and Travis had a ton of college experience how’d that turn out. Chris May has a ton of college AD “experience” how’s that translating into a positive? Time to switch it up down there!

One more thing I don’t blame anyone associated with BVF right now, I’ve heard nobody wants to give bc Travis has done nothing to make them think it was a good investment and wanted him gone after last year. 

It’s amazing how many staff members have left this year alone…2 academic coordinators, one is a slu alum and the compliance lady, all three reported to Dr. Oberle. That should be a red flag. I hear that if you are a strong willed coach like Majerus, Hendrickson and Kalish that May is very intimidated. He pushed old volleyball coach around and let’s Oberle pretty much worry about the rest of the sports. Except for new volleyball coach who apparently they are giving a hard time. I don’t think outsiders realize how bad internally that department is ran. May is an outsider, has that chip on his shoulder, knows St. Louis is a clicky town and that makes him frustrated and very insecure. Along with the fact he’s ultimately a middle manager who spent 20 years at Colorado until his cousin, who he eventually fired, helped get him the SLU job. He was ranked last out of the candidate pool  of 7 applicants. So many people have left that department over the years, just ask them or any current employees how it is to work there. Marquette’s current AD was the finalist for the job before May was even considered….at time he was an assistant AD at Notre Dame. He turned job down and they scrambled and settled on Chris May, manly bc his cousin was acting AD and wanted to be done with the job/search too. Tells you all you need to know about how SLU judges talent. Place might be cursed. Chris May should do his next podcast on that whole ordeal and how many jobs he’s applied for and not gotten since becoming AD at SLU! OR he should invite Dan Rolfes on podcast and apologize for not hiring him as WBB coach over Tillet and May shunned him, not good enough. Heard he wanted it. You can’t make any of it up and it’s getting harder and harder to even care more irrelevant entire department becomes each passing year. All because of stupid leadership across the board. It’s systemic! 

On 2/3/2024 at 8:46 PM, slu92 said:

I think because #1 he knows basketball and intangibles to hiring a good coach/leader. #2 I think he could raise money, bring in new money, #3 loves St. Louis and slu and genuinely wants to see it thrive and would want to be there long-term. Young, very likable and good business sense, it’s not unheard of now AD’s being hired from outside business world. Again, maybe not him or Highmark per se, but I like the idea of a person like them if makes sense? They can hire staff to fill any blind spots or inexperience running an athletic department just focus on raising money and mbb immediately. It’s like with coaching names, gotta have college experience, etc…uh crews and Travis had a ton of college experience how’d that turn out. Chris May has a ton of college AD “experience” how’s that translating into a positive? Time to switch it up down there!

One more thing I don’t blame anyone associated with BVF right now, I’ve heard nobody wants to give bc Travis has done nothing to make them think it was a good investment and wanted him gone after last year. 

BVF has now gone another two months without tweeting after going on a two week bender of tweeting commercials for Troy's real estate business.  It has, also, gone a month now with out retweeting one of Troy's own tweets of his commercials.  There is no link on BVF's X profile to the BVF's website or anyway direction on how to give.  If you actually make the effort to find the BVF's website it is only a homepage.  That homepage doesn't tell you what BVF does, doesn't lay out a clear purpose, states no long-term or short-term goals, doesn't give you any of the basics of how NIL works, doesn't offer incentives to give and has no way for a person to set up reoccurring donations.  Troy is a good guy and he is doing this on a volunteer basis, but nothing about how he has run BVF says he is the guy to run the athletic department in the new college athletic world.

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

BVF has now gone another two months without tweeting after going on a two week bender of tweeting commercials for Troy's real estate business.  It has, also, gone a month now with out retweeting one of Troy's own tweets of his commercials.  There is no link on BVF's X profile to the BVF's website or anyway direction on how to give.  If you actually make the effort to find the BVF's website it is only a homepage.  That homepage doesn't tell you what BVF does, doesn't lay out a clear purpose, states no long-term or short-term goals, doesn't give you any of the basics of how NIL works, doesn't offer incentives to give and has no way for a person to set up reoccurring donations.  Troy is a good guy and he is doing this on a volunteer basis, but nothing about how he has run BVF says he is the guy to run the athletic department in the new college athletic world.

Plus his real estate business may produce better income with more longevity than a SLU AD position.

brianstl and Lord Elrond like this

54 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I prefer not to assume the worst (though I appreciate that the internet often does).  Didn't SLU recently hire a guy who was instrumental in setting up Mizzou's NIL program?  I wouldn't be surprised if they put SLU's current approach (BVF) on hold until he has an opportunity to review and modify it.

1 minute ago, Wendelprof said:

I prefer not to assume the worst (though I appreciate that the internet often does).  Didn't SLU recently hire a guy who was instrumental in setting up Mizzou's NIL program?  I wouldn't be surprised if they put SLU's current approach (BVF) on hold until he has an opportunity to review and modify it.

Fair enough, but this has been the way the BVF has consistently operated since inception.  It needs a complete overhaul.

@willie please review for compliance with Thought Hall Monitor

This made me curious so I checked the site there's an automated pop up to all questions or a form to send messages. Perhaps you could ask and they respond.  

Donating seems easy there's a button that takes you to a check out like most online retail.

That's about it.

After regime change I'll reach out to ask questions before donating. 

NextYearBill likes this