GDT: SLU v. Davidson

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Can't or won't?

I don’t know if I can dog on a 2x All-Conference player (third and second teams, respectively) and who has tallied almost every single academic accolade a student-athlete can notch on the belt, but the man has toiled for us. I use that word sparingly, but he has logged (to-date) 3,665 minutes of pretty damn good basketball for Saint Louis U. 
We have no idea if he’s struggling like Hargrove with some things mentally, or maybe there are signs of fatigue, and in no way, shape or form am I saying he is immune from criticism, but the larger body of work Jimmerson has in his portfolio makes me want to step back and at least acknowledge his past performance as a benchmark for where his peers should aspire to be in their careers. I appreciate Jimmerson and hope the young man can find his groove. 

AGB91 likes this

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

I don’t know if I can dog on a 2x All-Conference player (third and second teams, respectively) and who has tallied almost every single academic accolade a student-athlete can notch on the belt, but the man has toiled for us. I use that word sparingly, but he has logged (to-date) 3,665 minutes of pretty damn good basketball for Saint Louis U. 
We have no idea if he’s struggling like Hargrove with some things mentally, or maybe there are signs of fatigue, and in no way, shape or form am I saying he is immune from criticism, but the larger body of work Jimmerson has in his portfolio makes me want to step back and at least acknowledge his past performance as a benchmark for where his peers should aspire to be in their careers. I appreciate Jimmerson and hope the young man can find his groove. 

So, what is Ford's next move on the chess board after Jimmer gets hounded?

3 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

So, what is Ford's next move on the chess board after Jimmer gets hounded?

I believe you misspelled checkers, like the one outside your neighborhood Cracker Barrel; that’s more Ford’s style. But I don’t believe he has a next move. If he loses Jimmerson, that may be signs of a full mutiny on the Billiken Bounty, and it pains me to say it, but maybe Jimmerson has a right to be pissed off at Ford. He didn’t come here to play with the scraps from the recruiting table. He expected more out of his helmsman and is not getting it.

I’m sorry for referencing both Cracker Barrel and nautical terms in the same post, but I’m in New Orleans for work and it seems like Louisiana is a place where those two worlds collide almost every minute of the day. Going to drown some sorrows at Port of Call tonight. 

2 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

How about that guy that hit three 3's to win free internet for a year, that was something!

I asked if he had any eligibility left!

As a side note, while I’ve heard good things about i3 (the company sponsoring that), it’s not available everywhere, including where I live. That could be a bit of a downer to think “I don’t have to pay for internet!!”, only to find out it’s not available at their home.

DirtyRican likes this

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm with you Okie.  This is 100% on Ford and the coaching staff. If one maybe two guys aren't playing correctly that could mean this staff just can't reach them and it's a bad fit or they're a bad player. But all the players? The majority of the players not performing that's coaching. You see only the truly hard core Ford apologists agreeing with the statement about blaming the players.  As if Ford didn't recruit them.

First and foremost: The Coach assembles the coaching staff; who assembles the roster; who plays the game. Literally everything falls on the head coach. It is his fault; full stop; the buck stops there. Ford is responsible. Ford, Ford, Ford.

Additionally I am also for holding players accountable in today's era of "collegiate" athletics. The players are paid and are responsible for performing. Just like in the MLB if Carpenter is putting up crap numbers; he deserves blame for that. However the Coach decided that these were the guys we needed to pay and bring in, and they suck. That's on Travis Ford's head. He is also paid 2.5 mil to assemble this crap roster and identify these bad players. Yikes.

dlarry likes this

For me personally, I can’t dog GJ or THJ.  Both have been absolute troopers over the years.  I’ve always thought GJ plays too many minutes, shooters need their legs down the stretch, and he’s not that great of a defender.  THJ is what he is.  Incredible heart and energy, but not a superstar.  They both deserve the Purple Heart for putting up with Ford for 5 years.

-CFord must really have no confidence in Curcic for him to not get minutes lately as the rest of the team sputters

-very limited sample size but I wouldn't mind a bit more time for him to see if he really is a 38% 3pt shooter, was his defense comparatively that bad?

3 hours ago, BACKHANDtheRICAN said:

Why is everyone having a meltdown? We all knew how much we sucked before the season started.  

to help everyone avoid a meltdown after the season...Ford will be back.

If this team doesn’t turn things around, he may be back but the fans won’t.  At least Chaifetz has concerts to fill it up.

3 minutes ago, TRN said:

If this team doesn’t turn things around, he may be back but the fans won’t.  At least Chaifetz has concerts to fill it up.

I'm trying not to feed the troll by responding directly to him, but that guy's the only person on this board I genuinely hate. He never has anything constructive to say and makes it his goal to make people angry.

31 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-CFord must really have no confidence in Curcic for him to not get minutes lately as the rest of the team sputters

-very limited sample size but I wouldn't mind a bit more time for him to see if he really is a 38% 3pt shooter, was his defense comparatively that bad?

Yeah, I don't understand him not getting any minutes. The defense is so bad from our guards that I refuse to believe he could make it any worse. When he did get some minutes in the SIU and Drake games it seemed like he showed the ability to be somewhat disruptive on defense, but I don't remember those games overly closely at this point. I circle back to my first comment though, the defense cannot get any worse on the perimeter.

At this point you just put the best scorers on the court and forget about defense. They can’t play it anyway so why waste the energy trying? 

1. Curcic

2. Jimerson 

3. Parker 

4. Thames/Hargrove 

5. Ezewiro 

On offense Bombs away 

On defense play a 2-2 zone with Jimerson camped out on the offensive end waiting for an outlet pass. 

10 minutes ago, dlarry said:

At this point you just put the best scorers on the court and forget about defense. They can’t play it anyway so why waste the energy trying? 

1. Curcic

2. Jimerson 

3. Parker 

4. Thames/Hargrove 

5. Ezewiro 

On offense Bombs away 

On defense play a 2-2 zone with Jimerson camped out on the offensive end waiting for an outlet pass. 

I was actually impressed with Curcic at the point in his limited time there. At this point I don't see the point in really playing MM(I would have included Tim too) much more.  I know you have too at least a tiny bit, but that's about all.  THJ and Gibby deserve minutes as this is their team.