GDT: SLU v. VCU

SLU Men's Basketball Game Notes & Information
Game No. 18 Saint Louis (8-9, 1-3 A-10) at VCU (10-7, 2-2 A-10)
Date // Time Friday, Jan. 19, 2024 // 6 p.m. (CST)
Location Richmond, Va. (Siegel Center)
TV ESPN2 (Mike Corey, Dalen Cuff)
Radio KMOX 1120 AM (Bob Ramsey, Earl Austin Jr.)
Stream ESPN+ and the ESPN App
Live Stats StatBroadcast
Series History VCU leads 14-5
Game Notes Saint Louis | VCU

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've got a good feeling about tonight. I can feel it down in my plums.

Also, is there a reason I can no longer post GIFs or pictures? I'm having a heckuva time trying to figure it out; it was never this hard before. 

I never have a good feeling about us playing VCU. For some reason we always had UD's number in the past and played really well against them, not so against VCU. Maybe this post magically changes that.

Last year i bet against SLU during the conference tournament. EZ money. Thank goodness Ace Baldwin is long gone. VCU's fortunes have definitely changed with him out. F Ace Baldwin and F Mo Alie-Cox.

5 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I never have a good feeling about us playing VCU. For some reason we always had UD's number in the past and played really well against them, not so against VCU. Maybe this post magically changes that.

Last year i bet against SLU during the conference tournament. EZ money. Thank goodness Ace Baldwin is long gone. VCU's fortunes have definitely changed with him out. F Ace Baldwin and F Mo Alie-Cox.

It'll be weird playing VCU.  they haven't looked like this in as long as I remember. 

VCU's engine now runs through Utah State transfers Sean Bairstow and Max Shulga.    VCU is 10 and 7, 2 and 2 in the A10 and both A10 losses have come at Siegal against the Bonnies and the Revs.  Zeb Jacskon is tge lone holdover from last year's team and is second in scori g but did miss the second half od the win at La Salle with a concussion concern.  I'll wait fore the Wiz to reveal his status for tonight.  Joe Bamisile, much like Brad Ezewior, had to wait for the court injuntion to play this year --- this was his fourth school in four years --- and is averaging 10.4 ppg in his seven games.  He is an uber-athletic guard.  All four aforementioned players are listed as guards and the starting center is Toby Lawal who has a 49-inch vertical.  Head coach Ryan Odom goes ten deep.  

VCU is no longer HAVOC and really doesn't press at all under the new Odom regime.  They still seem to rely on overt athleticism over basketball skills to beat teams.  FanDuel has the Bills as 8.5 point underdogs.

24 minutes ago, Soderball said:

This is exactly why I have a good feeling about tonight (and why I also don't bet on sports).

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

VCU's engine now runs through Utah State transfers Sean Bairstow and Max Shulga.    VCU is 10 and 7, 2 and 2 in the A10 and both A10 losses have come at Siegal against the Bonnies and the Revs.  Zeb Jacskon is tge lone holdover from last year's team and is second in scori g but did miss the second half od the win at La Salle with a concussion concern.  I'll wait fore the Wiz to reveal his status for tonight.  Joe Bamisile, much like Brad Ezewior, had to wait for the court injuntion to play this year --- this was his fourth school in four years --- and is averaging 10.4 ppg in his seven games.  He is an uber-athletic guard.  All four aforementioned players are listed as guards and the starting center is Toby Lawal who has a 49-inch vertical.  Head coach Ryan Odom goes ten deep.  

VCU is no longer HAVOC and really doesn't press at all under the new Odom regime.  They still seem to rely on overt athleticism over basketball skills to beat teams.  FanDuel has the Bills as 8.5 point underdogs.

Zeb was out with back spasms 

8 points sounds about right to me. I think Wiz will be right in that range too.

Soderball 3pt% watch is 40%; if we shoot over that we win, under and i think we lose. 30% or less and we lose badly.(i stand by 3pt% being pretty much the only relevant stat to watch with this roster..)

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

This is exactly why I have a good feeling about tonight (and why I also don't bet on sports).

All goes back to the Rickma CBI appearance with WR and KM. Both teams went to that best-of-3 series; next year VCU goes to the Final Four, SLU goes to

"The Situation"

I hate VCU.

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Could've sworn my broadcast said concussion.  But okay.

Odom said it was back spasms that took senior guard and captain Zeb Jackson out of action on Saturday. 

Jackson fell to the floor grabbing his back and wincing with about 4 minutes to go until halftime and did not return to the game.

The coach said his talisman was feeling better on Tuesday, but that his status ahead of Friday's game is day-to-day.

- Me thinks they should sit him one more game, safety reasons. 

Another coaching test for Travis. W:Parker back I’m thinking Gibby will get more open looks. He’s back in his hometown and am sure he’ll be up for this game. Of course that can work against a player as he presses too hard. 

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

Another coaching test for Travis. W:Parker back I’m thinking Gibby will get more open looks. He’s back in his hometown and am sure he’ll be up for this game. Of course that can work against a player as he presses too hard. 

He's scored 12 points @VCU in his career ( only 2 games somehow)

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

So GibJim could play well or could not play well? Biting analysis here. /s

Having Parker back just helps in general. I don't think he's the second coming like some project.

Hopefully Sincere can log more minutes tonight.  It’s always a daunting task playing at the Siegel Center, I don’t believe we’ve ever won there before.  Maybe this time we can break the streak.

26 minutes ago, Soderball said:

8 points sounds about right to me. I think Wiz will be right in that range too.

Soderball 3pt% watch is 40%; if we shoot over that we win, under and i think we lose. 30% or less and we lose badly.(i stand by 3pt% being pretty much the only relevant stat to watch with this roster..)

I think I am with you on that. While I am sure there will be outliers, we primarily need to win from the 3 point line against solid opponents. We will see whether Parker and Ezewiro somewhat change that.

Speaking of road splits, I'll we watching the Foul Shot Attempts on this away game.  In the George Mason and Dayton away games, the Bills has a total of 18 FTA, and the opponents 63 FTA.  Do the math, that is 3.5X for the home teams. 

For the year, SLU has 366 FTA and all opponents 355 FTA.  Call it even. We've had 9 games at home and 8 not at home.

Dayton doesn't foul much, only 12.9 per game.  George Mason fouls 16.2 per game. The Bills are at 17.9 fouls per game.  So yes, expect the home team to get the favorable whistles in those two contests, but not 3.5X. ( Fouls and FTA aren’t the same but they should correlate somewhat .)

VCU averages 16.8 fouls per game.  So should we expect an even number if FTA?  No, the home team usually prevails.  No problem with that.   I'll accept a 2X.  3.5X is beyond fishy.

3star_recruit likes this

cbssports.com has VCU -8.5, o146. 

ESPN.com concurs:  VCU -8.5.

I don't think VCU is that good.  Havoc (Gimmick, not that it was good) is gone, and this is a very different type of VCU team.  We'll see if VCU is still allowed to check the SLU point guard in open court, plain view.  Once the refs in Albany, NY immediately blew the whistle on that tactic in last year's NCAA Tourney game vs. St. Mary's, VCU was toast, lost by double digits.

If the good Billikens show up tonight, SLU could win this game.  Do it.

4 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

I love 7pm ET starts!   It would be a terrific day to break the curse of the Siegel Center.   It would be great not to lay an egg on national tv.  

My Spectrum guide shows the game at 6pm Central time