• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Hang it in the rafters

ProjectRenderer.png

I love the banner.  It reminds of all the preseason banners Dayton fans wanted to hang in the Brian Gregory era.  The saying back then was could of had Gregory.  Well, we finally have the poor man's (probably more homeless man's)  Brian Gregory at SLU.

1 minute ago, majerus mojo said:

So dramatic. People should be allowed to show support for the head coach (for whatever reason) on Billikens.com without it preluding an amateur internet witchhunt. 

If this person has been around for years they are not showing up out of no where? So they might have a connection to Ford - big whoop? 

Im agree with you. I’m merely saying that you’re going to get flak if you show up ANYWHERE and immediately jump into controversial topics. You don’t just throw out all your big opinions when you meet your SOs family and friends. You don’t start throwing out political opinions at a new office. Its  not just online. The perception is that they just showed up, wether or not it’s true. All I’m saying is that doing so is going to get this type of reaction. It’s happened on here for YEARS. 

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Im agree with you. I’m merely saying that you’re going to get flak if you show up ANYWHERE and immediately jump into controversial topics. You don’t just throw out all your big opinions when you meet your SOs family and friends. You don’t start throwing out political opinions at a new office. Its  not just online. The perception is that they just showed up, wether or not it’s true. All I’m saying is that doing so is going to get this type of reaction. It’s happened on here for YEARS. 

Exactly, especially when that poster is telling others they can’t have a differing opinion, and if so they aren’t true supporters of the team.  It’s very similar to the Cardinals BFIBs, where fans are Pollyannas.

Throw in the fact the poster is newer, claims to be a big donor, and can’t even get the MBM abbreviation correctly it makes things suspicious.

2 minutes ago, TRN said:

Exactly, especially when that poster is telling others they can’t have a differing opinion, and if so they aren’t true supporters of the team.  It’s very similar to the Cardinals BFIBs, where fans are Pollyannas.

Throw in the fact the poster is newer, claims to be a big donor, and can’t even get the MBM abbreviation correctly it makes things suspicious.

LOL I didn't even read the post from MariaReynolds. Yeah I'm not sympathetic.

26 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This isn't throwing out political opinions to family or colleagues. It's a poster commenting on Billikens basketball, the head coach, and the fanbase, on the Billikens.com website.

Is it really a BIG OPINION to say that the team played hard? Or to suggest that some MBAs (the A is presumably for "a-holes") are rooting for Ford to face plant every time out? 

7 minutes ago, TRN said:

Again, no relation to our gal Maria, but they have been around for years. I must've missed where they told others they couldn't have a different opinion? Voicing a little frustration seems to be the norm around here, so surely that isn't the issue?

How many MBMs does it take to shout down one (1) poster who made two (2) posts in a GDT of 250+? 

14 hours ago, Soderball said:

THJ is in the running for my favorite Billiken ever. He's gritty, he's hometown, and he's just a fantastic representative of SLU and STL in general. He's also become a pretty damn good player. Chalk me down as a big-time Hargrove fan. Big part of why these guys do battle even when it's tough IMO. He makes big plays and energizes the team.

Prime problem for SLU right now is the PG play and Ezewiro's fitness. We aren't generating enough turnovers and we aren't protecting the rim like we should.

I think we are seeing why Ezewiro wasn't playing much for a bad Georgetown team.  From what I understand, he has lost a lot of weight since showing up at SLU.  Can you imagine how hard it would be for him to get up and down the court with 30 extra pounds?  He can't keep up now.  For every basket he gets, he costs us an easy layup on the other end due to his conditioning.  For those of you that think that the best version of our team is one that runs after a defensive rebound and plays up tempo, we cannot do that when our break out is 4 on 5.

Soderball likes this

14 hours ago, The Wiz said:

This was a game we could have won.  Like in most close games there are many factors that you could point to that would change the outcome.  

When the computer misses big , it usually means something unusual or out of the ordinary has occurred .  In this game, there was an anomaly. In fact this is the 2nd time in 3 games this has happened.  The Bills lost at the foul line ....No,  this has nothing to do with a bad FT% (43% with only 3-7) .  The Bills lost because of FTAs. 

Ten days ago,  We lost to GM by 12 pts.  In that game , GM had 34 FTAs...15 extra shots...using season average FTAs plus game shooting % this resulted in an extra 12 pts for GM.  Meanwhile, The Bills only had 11 shots or 8 shots below normal resulting in 6 less pts than average....Total point swing...18 pts...or a 6 pt win over GM.

Fast forward to tonight's game against Day...The Flyers had 29 FTAs....10 more than average resulting in an extra 5 pts(Dayton shot a poor 55%). Meanwhile, The Bills were 14 FTAs below average which cost them 11 pts.  Total point swing 16pts or a Bills win by 11 changing nothing else but the FTAs.

These FTA swings are the equivalent of The Bills rolling two 12s in three attempts in a crap game. So what does this mean...were the dice loaded or was this some sort of a  basketball lightning strike?

Here is my take....It doesn't matter....The real take away is we played a 17th ranked team and played them down to the wire and lost by 5 at their place.   Six weeks ago we played Utah St which is now ranked at 20th (about the same as Day)  and again lost by 5.

Bottom line....There is no team that we can not play with.  Certainly within the A-10,  every team is beatable. home or away.  12 will not keep coming up on the dice....When those other numbers start to roll out The Bills have to be ready to play.  If  they are ready to play in a consistent (make at least their averages) and mistake free game (keep the TOs low)  they will get their share of wins.

I guess I'm confused.  You predicted Dayton by 18.  Dayton only won by 5.  You said that this was a miss by the computer, which I agree.  But, your explanation for the miss is that Dayton shot way more foul shots?  Wouldn't that be an explanation for missing the other way?

12 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

This isn't throwing out political opinions to family or colleagues. It's a poster commenting on Billikens basketball, the head coach, and the fanbase, on the Billikens.com website.

Is it really a BIG OPINION to say that the team played hard? Or to suggest that some MBAs (the A is presumably for "a-holes") are rooting for Ford to face plant every time out? 

Again, no relation to our gal Maria, but they have been around for years. I must've missed where they told others they couldn't have a different opinion? Voicing a little frustration seems to be the norm around here, so surely that isn't the issue?

How many MBMs does it take to shout down one (1) poster who made two (2) posts in a GDT of 250+? 

The part where the poster said to find a message board of SLU’s opponents if not being supportive of all things SLU.  

I could give a rats a$$ about that poster.  I have the person on ignore but saw the message in a reply.  People can feel free to think what they want, but that poster said he/she writes big checks and for those that disagree to go elsewhere.  Perhaps you missed that post.

Either way I’m going to wait out the year and see if it can be salvaged one way or the other.  Past history and the roster lend me to believe we won’t win more than 14 games, and definitely not May’s gold standard of 20 games. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think we are seeing why Ezewiro wasn't playing much for a bad Georgetown team.  From what I understand, he has lost a lot of weight since showing up at SLU.  Can you imagine how hard it would be for him to get up and down the court with 30 extra pounds?  He can't keep up now.  For every basket he gets, he costs us an easy layup on the other end due to his conditioning.  For those of you that think that the best version of our team is one that runs after a defensive rebound and plays up tempo, we cannot do that when our break out is 4 on 5.

Best offensive big we've had in a long time.  He's also the worst defensive big we've had in a long time.  Conditioning will fix some of that.  

willie likes this

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

You have to wonder what he was doing (or wasn’t) during his time in NCAA “eligibility exile.” Could he not go to Simon Rec and run sprints? I’m sure the last thing Ford wants is for a guy to get hurt trying to take some junior poli sci major to the rack for an and-1, but my god. I’m so sick and tired of the excuses Ford has just oozing out of a Sam’s Club size jar of excuses. Could he ever just slam his wrist on his chest in an act of contrition and “mea culpa” some things? That would actually delight the out of me. 

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Best offensive big we've had in a long time.  He's also the worst defensive big we've had in a long time.  Conditioning will fix some of that.  

So he's the Jordan Kyrou of the Billikens?

dlarry likes this

9 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

You have to wonder what he was doing (or wasn’t) during his time in NCAA “eligibility exile.” Could he not go to Simon Rec and run sprints? I’m sure the last thing Ford wants is for a guy to get hurt trying to take some junior poli sci major to the rack for an and-1, but my god. I’m so sick and tired of the excuses Ford has just oozing out of a Sam’s Club size jar of excuses. Could he ever just slam his wrist on his chest in an act of contrition and “mea culpa” some things? That would actually delight the out of me. 

He was practicing with the team working on the scout team.  Just because he was ruled ineligible, it doesn’t mean he wasn’t involved in team activities. He wasn’t allowed to suit up and play in games. So, he was under the staff’s supervision.

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

What conditioning does he still need? I don’t know basketball but I know fitness. He should not need conditioning in January. Hell he dropped like 30 lbs right? It’s not like he was injured or couldn’t participate in team practices. Also he’s not better than Marten Linssen. 

3 minutes ago, TRN said:

He was practicing with the team working on the scout team.  Just because he was ruled ineligible, it doesn’t mean he wasn’t involved in team activities. He wasn’t allowed to suit up and play in games. So, he was under the staff’s supervision.

This is the craziest thing to me about the eligibility waiver, the only thing that it prevents is playing immediately in games. That’s a big deal, but it’s not like the player can’t move freely. Also, as mentioned above, I don’t care if he wasn’t eligible. He should be in shape. If he’s not in shape, he either didn’t care or coaches didn’t do their job. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

What conditioning does he still need? I don’t know basketball but I know fitness. He should not need conditioning in January. Hell he dropped like 30 lbs right? It’s not like he was injured or couldn’t participate in team practices. Also he’s not better than Marten Linssen. 

This is the craziest thing to me about the eligibility waiver, the only thing that it prevents is playing immediately in games. That’s a big deal, but it’s not like the player can’t move freely. Also, as mentioned above, I don’t care if he wasn’t eligible. He should be in shape. If he’s not in shape, he either didn’t care or coaches didn’t do their job. 

Linssen was an underrated player. Probably the last big guy we had with really good footwork and fundamentals. He played better than his talent because of it. Majerus woulda liked him. Was very disappointed when he didn't stick around. We would have made the NCAA tourney with him IMO. While Perkins being hurt was brutal; our post defense was horrible when Forrester was in. If we had Linssen our rotation would have been Franko and Linssen. That's a tough pair to score easy layups on, even if they get past an injured Javonte.

The reality is the coaches didn't do their job when they failed to land Dandridge OR Brock Vice and we ended up with the 3rd and 4th options, 05. That's why we have Ezewiro and his limitations. He's scoring as much as he does because he is the only option on this roster.

25 minutes ago, TRN said:

Which makes his lack of conditioning all the more baffling. I know it’s another cliche-laced excuse that you can’t “simulate game speed in practice,” but my goodness. I hope he finds his lungs soon. He’s a solid ballplayer. 

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I get the impression that this is the closest Big Brad has been to being in shape his entire basketball career.  He certainly wasn't at Georgetown.  But the main issue is that he's an average defender at best.  Getting him to a level we've grown accustomed to at the center position will be a long-term project.

Hargrove never had a conditioning issue yet it took him several years just to become average on defense.

Krazy things happen in sport, and despite the odds and all previous futility fans need to believe their team can turn things around and win the game, win the conference, win the tournaments. It happens - even the bums of Brooklyn and their successors the NY Mets have won the World Series once in while! So, if Coach Ford can defy the odds, renew his strengths and make a breakthrough on his limitations, and Win ... all will cheer, all will repent, etc. But with $2 million plus in compensation and the job of Div. I basketball coach, getting criticized (and, sometimes, getting fired) is part of the job. Everyone in those positions should be their own worst critic, painfully aware of their shortcomings in performance and looking for how to change and make that breakthrough. So I'm rooting for Ford to succeed, but recognize that all criticism here is more or less justified, that's part of function of this board.

42 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

It will be an interesting end to the season. Say what you will, but playing at a ‘5 point loss at Dayton’ level should beat almost anyone else in the A10. There may be a run left in this team. 

If so, the haters will really be in for a mess.

I don't think there are "haters" just people who want more out this program for what's put in. 

Just now, NYBilliken said:

Krazy things happen in sport, and despite the odds and all previous futility fans need to believe their team can turn things around and win the game, win the conference, win the tournaments. It happens - even the bums of Brooklyn and their successors the NY Mets have won the World Series once in while! So, if Coach Ford can defy the odds, renew his strengths and make a breakthrough on his limitations, and Win ... all will cheer, all will repent, etc. But with $2 million plus in compensation and the job of Div. I basketball coach, getting criticized (and, sometimes, getting fired) is part of the job. Everyone in those positions should be their own worst critic, painfully aware of their shortcomings in performance and looking for how to change and make that breakthrough. So I'm rooting for Ford to succeed, but recognize that all criticism here is more or less justified, that's part of function of this board.

Great post. 

6 hours ago, thetorch said:

To all blaming the refs, you apparently don't watch our team. 

SLU defense is terrible. We hack and hold all night because we can't defend straight up. We now have a reputation. The 320th ranked defense in the country is not going to get calls on Dayton's floor. Dayton plays effective defense. Their is a stark contrast between how we play and how they play and the refs are going to call it accordingly.

torch,  come on we only shot 7 free throws.   I am not saying they called all the fouls on the billikens.   i am saying they didnt call the fouls on dayton.   

Gremio14, MB73 and slu92 like this

If fans aren’t upset I’d be more concerned if I was SLU leadership, means they still care about program. However, the longer it slips the less and less even diehard fans keep caring. How can anyone watching not just this season, but the last 8, justify keeping this coach after this season. When you look at all the stats and numbers combined over years against better teams, ranked teams, it’s pretty damning. Travis might be a wonderful person, same with Chris May, but they aren’t getting the results. People pay a lot for season tickets, donate money, asked for NIL donations, spend money on program, etc and for what? To watch an 8-9 team get a moral victory only losing by 5 to Dayton? Feel bad for kids, doing best they can and actually played as good as this team can last night and still lost. Millions of dollars are being spent each year, this isn’t a mom and pop operation or a cyc team we are talking about. We just want it to be competitive and as good as the resources being poured into it. That’s all, not expecting Final 4 or bust every year. 

Schasz and Old guy like this