• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TheBand said:

History has a way of repeating itself:

Article

March 29, 2014

STILLWATER — Mike Holder admits he made a mistake. Admits that giving Travis Ford a 10-year contract hasn’t worked out.

Such largesse rarely does. “Ten years is a long time,” said Holder, OSU’s athletic director.

In September 2009, OSU announced a contract extension for its basketball coach that in effect created a 10-year contract. Good through 2019. Escalating salary. All kinds of perks. No buyout for the university, and a stiff buyout ($3 million) for Ford, should he jump to another job.

Almost five years later, that contract is an albatross, preventing OSU from a coaching change it likely otherwise would make. And while that contract probably has kept Ford employed, it’s also been a burden.

“In retrospect, it wasn’t good for him or us,” Holder said.

(More)

OSU is bound to Ford for $2.25 million in 2014-15 and $2.4 million each of the four seasons after that. That’s $11.85 million over five years.

That’s why Ford remains the coach. Holder won’t touch the question of whether Ford’s contract is saving his job — “Who knows? You can hypothetical yourself to death,” Holder said — but almost $12 million is a lot of money. OSU wouldn’t have to pay him off in one lump sum, unless there was a negotiation, and any money Ford made from a subsequent job (basketball or not) would be deducted from OSU’s obligation. But still, if Ford found a job for $1 million a year, that’s still $1.4 million per year OSU would owe from 2015 through 2019.

I will say this - Ford is the luckiest coach out there.  He manages to get people to throw money at him and he never delivers.  How does he do it.  I will say tonight he looks shook.  I guess he figures he won't be able to con the next school given what is going on this year.  Not only is he losing but he has a circus around him.

22 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I know the St. Joseph’s hawk mascot is a tradition, which I always enjoy seeing, but the fact that tonight we’re playing a team that flew a college student halfway across the country to don a hawk costume with sweatpants underneath and flap their wings/arms for 2-3 hours consecutively tonight appropriately adds to the silliness of this week.

Dude never relented. Flapped those wings like a champ, for HOURS.

2 hours ago, thunderdan said:

Dude never relented. Flapped those wings like a champ, for HOURS.

I was at the women's game the night before as well as last night's game. The Hawk was flapping for that one too.

I've read that that the person (or persons) who does that job is considered a team manager (thus the scholarship) and it may well be that they rotate the assignment some.

I thought that the wings looked much larger on the new bird (so more work) but it may be too that the material is lighter. Anyway, it's a job that looks rather grueling.

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

I was at the women's game the night before as well as last night's game. The Hawk was flapping for that one too.

I've read that that the person (or persons) who does that job is considered a team manager (thus the scholarship) and it may well be that they rotate the assignment some.

I thought that the wings looked much larger on the new bird (so more work) but it may be too that the material is lighter. Anyway, it's a job that looks rather grueling.

I hope they have a line of credit at the closest dry cleaner to Hawk Hill. The inside of that thing has to be deliciously aromatic. 

14 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

I hope they have a line of credit at the closest dry cleaner to Hawk Hill. The inside of that thing has to be deliciously aromatic. 

Thoughts of Fredbird on a humid July Sunday afternoon, around the 7th inning stretch.

19 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Top of my head it would be Roy, 05, Pistol, Cheeseman, and WG, maybe? I'm sure I've got 2/5 wrong.

BrianSTL would definitely be in there. Possibly JMM28 as the 6th man- Bill Walton waving his towel with the Celtics type. 

JMM28 likes this

20 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Who are our 5?

19 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Top of my head it would be Roy, 05, Pistol, Cheeseman, and WG, maybe? I'm sure I've got 2/5 wrong.

Looks like I'm #5, behind Roy, Brian, slu72, and moytoy12.

8 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Don't think I can root for any team that has Triangle and Too on it.   It's a shame that the great THicks wouldn't be able to play.   

Sorry but I miss Too. Thought he was amusing. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

Sorry but I miss Too. Thought he was amusing. 

He was so amusing in a weird way. He freaked out one time I criticized Lute Olson.

1 hour ago, Bizziken said:

C : Basketballcountry

PF: Tilkowsky

SF: Grunky

SG: Triangle and Too

PG: Garybleedsblue

Bench: glorydayz

That would be the team representing Billikens.com in the extra-special olympics.