Note: Billiken Coaches Show Debut 1/8/24

51 minutes ago, willie said:

I have no idea what his buy out is but I think this acceptence that it is 10 million based on some twitter poster is wrong. I would be very suprised if it is anywhere near that high. One of my peeves about this board is someone throws out a number or statement based on speculation and it becomes gospel. 

Agreed! An entire thread of Yuri to K-State got going based on a guy playing around in photoshop on twitter. Ridiculous.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Not only is Parker out, Meadows has been in and out of the lineup due to health.  Hughes and Thames are just coming back from injury.  This was a below average defensive team at full strength.  They're Swiss cheese now.

Coach Ford could have brought in better defensive players in the portal.  He made a big gamble on being able to outscore teams with a Big Three + veteran role players and smoke and mirrors on defense.  He lost.

Injuries:

Meadows out vs SIUC missed Drake, Hofstra, La Tech

Hughes played through Oblique out Drake, Hofstra

Thames out NC State

So 2 games we were missing 2 guards due to injury Drake and Hofstra. An oblique injury should not preclude a player from bringing up the ball or defending. My opinion is that SLU should have only abandoned the strategy they trained for in the off season for Drake and Hofstra, there were enough personnel for the other games. I think most of us agreed with Ford that with a smaller line up (#251 according to KenPom in avg height)  pressing and transition was the best strategy

@OkieBilliken pointed out the team didn't appear to be pressing for 40 minutes in Myrtle Beach, I didn't notice it either. Generally a pressing transition team relies on forcing turn overs to get the transition buckets.  See analysis of SLU opponent Turn Overs compared to the teams season average below. Not counting Lincoln, USI was under their season avg but ILST and WYO were over so it is valid that they were better in the beginning of the season. The remainder of the season teams have nearly 2 TOs less vs SLU than their average. As of today SLU is ranked 319 by Kenpom in Defense Turn Over%. That does not point to a team that is well coached at forcing TOs for transition basketball. 

Previous TO research

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/turnovers-per-game

The median turn over rate is 12.4; the best in the country is 7.4* per game here's SLU's D1 opponents Turn Overs:

USI 12 (season avg 15.2)

ILST 15 (avg 12.8)

WYO 19 (14.5)

Vermont 8 (9.5)

WSU 10 (11.8)

Dartmouth 10 (avg 13.1)

USU 12 (avg 11.2)

SIUC 10 (avg 10.9)

Drake 10 (avg 10)

Hofstra 11 (11.3)

LaTech 0 (12.8)

NCState 6 (8.8)

Loyola 9 (12.7)

Average Turn Overs Per Game by SLU D1 Opponents is 10.15. 2 whole Turn Overs Better than the National Median. 9 Teams performed better than their season turn over average vs SLU and 3 performed worse.

The turn over data is as of after the LUC game.

OkieBilliken likes this

2 hours ago, Brighton said:

Winless against AP Top 25 programs in 9 tries, no at large bids nor regular season championships.

I fail to see anything good out of this.

We won the Conference tournament in a season we finished 6th despite being preseason conference favorites.  Extend Travis!  

7 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

We won the Conference tournament in a season we finished 6th despite being preseason conference favorites.  Extend Travis!  

That’s it !

I forgot about that, and then we tried to make the VT game look respectable than it was.

3 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-how much stock do you put in what has been said on here that CFord has an auto-renewal clause in his contract leading to a large buyout figure?

The most accurate thing I can say here is, I don't know.  Whatever the situation is, I still trust the insiders to deal with it.  If there is a booster or small group of boosters that pay Ford's salary, I guarantee that they do know and have plan to deal with it.

2 hours ago, willie said:

You are making several assumptions here. Contracts also include buy out numbers. If also a rumor that there were people wanting to buy him out last year why would May extend ? I also question the 5 year number. The question is what was the length of the 21 extension? 

Agree.  Just because there is $10M or $7.5M left on his contract after this season doesn't necessarily mean that this is the amount required for a buyout.  Many contracts have a separate buyout clause.  If this one does, it would mean there is a different, lower amount for a buyout.  Also, the powers that be might approach Ford after the season and say "We'll give you $4M right now, and freedom to start coaching at another school immediately, if you agree to walk away."

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree.  Just because there is $10M or $7.5M left on his contract after this season doesn't necessarily mean that this is the amount required for a buyout.  Many contracts have a separate buyout clause.  If this one does, it would mean there is a different, lower amount for a buyout.  Also, the powers that be might approach Ford after the season and say "We'll give you $4M right now, and freedom to start coaching at another school immediately, if you agree to walk away."

That's what Ok St did, $3.9 million to be exact.  And signed the new coach to a 5 year deal.  I'll believe our boosters will do something similar when I see it.  It would be the most expensive mid major buyout in college basketball history.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's what Ok St did, $3.9 million to be exact.  And signed the new coach to a 5 year deal.  I'll believe our boosters will do something similar when I see it.  It would be the most expensive mid major buyout in college basketball history.

Yes.  You are correct.  Here is an article about it: https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/osu/osu-sports-more-details-from-the-settlement-agreement-between-oklahoma-state-and-former-coach-travis/article_ab6c1616-10ac-5e54-8006-dd0a7dc8191b.html

So, NO, I don't think anyone should expect that we will have to pay him $10M.

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Not only is Parker out, Meadows has been in and out of the lineup due to health.  Hughes and Thames are just coming back from injury.  This was a below average defensive team at full strength.  They're Swiss cheese now.

Coach Ford could have brought in better defensive players in the portal.  He made a big gamble on being able to outscore teams with a Big Three + veteran role players and smoke and mirrors on defense.  He lost.

It will be interesting once these guys are fully healthy to see what happens on offense. Even with injuries, this team shoots 37% from 3...so, will their attempts per game increase markedly to take advantage of a strength? With their so-so rebounding, seems more long distance attempts would help?

10 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

lol, just realized there is a game today

I know the St. Joseph’s hawk mascot is a tradition, which I always enjoy seeing, but the fact that tonight we’re playing a team that flew a college student halfway across the country to don a hawk costume with sweatpants underneath and flap their wings/arms for 2-3 hours consecutively tonight appropriately adds to the silliness of this week.

Soderball likes this

37 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I know the St. Joseph’s hawk mascot is a tradition, which I always enjoy seeing, but the fact that tonight we’re playing a team that flew a college student halfway across the country to don a hawk costume with sweatpants underneath and flap their wings/arms for 2-3 hours consecutively tonight appropriately adds to the silliness of this week.

Said mascot gets a full ride scholarship, too.

33 minutes ago, TRN said:

Said mascot gets a full ride scholarship, too.

That’s interesting. Last night at the women’s game it looked like whoever they had in that thing actually thought if they flapped their arms enough they could fly. I hope for the sake of whoever’s in that thing there is a budget to clean it regularly, otherwise by the end of the season I can’t imagine what the stench inside that thing smells like.

5 minutes ago, DOC said:

Didn’t someone say that Ford’s kid mentioned a $10 million buyout?

it wasn't Fords kid who said that. was a different burner 

DOC likes this

History has a way of repeating itself:

Article

March 29, 2014

STILLWATER — Mike Holder admits he made a mistake. Admits that giving Travis Ford a 10-year contract hasn’t worked out.

Such largesse rarely does. “Ten years is a long time,” said Holder, OSU’s athletic director.

In September 2009, OSU announced a contract extension for its basketball coach that in effect created a 10-year contract. Good through 2019. Escalating salary. All kinds of perks. No buyout for the university, and a stiff buyout ($3 million) for Ford, should he jump to another job.

Almost five years later, that contract is an albatross, preventing OSU from a coaching change it likely otherwise would make. And while that contract probably has kept Ford employed, it’s also been a burden.

“In retrospect, it wasn’t good for him or us,” Holder said.

(More)

OSU is bound to Ford for $2.25 million in 2014-15 and $2.4 million each of the four seasons after that. That’s $11.85 million over five years.

That’s why Ford remains the coach. Holder won’t touch the question of whether Ford’s contract is saving his job — “Who knows? You can hypothetical yourself to death,” Holder said — but almost $12 million is a lot of money. OSU wouldn’t have to pay him off in one lump sum, unless there was a negotiation, and any money Ford made from a subsequent job (basketball or not) would be deducted from OSU’s obligation. But still, if Ford found a job for $1 million a year, that’s still $1.4 million per year OSU would owe from 2015 through 2019.

TheA_Bomb likes this

30 minutes ago, TheBand said:

History has a way of repeating itself:

Article

March 29, 2014

STILLWATER — Mike Holder admits he made a mistake. Admits that giving Travis Ford a 10-year contract hasn’t worked out.

Such largesse rarely does. “Ten years is a long time,” said Holder, OSU’s athletic director.

In September 2009, OSU announced a contract extension for its basketball coach that in effect created a 10-year contract. Good through 2019. Escalating salary. All kinds of perks. No buyout for the university, and a stiff buyout ($3 million) for Ford, should he jump to another job.

Almost five years later, that contract is an albatross, preventing OSU from a coaching change it likely otherwise would make. And while that contract probably has kept Ford employed, it’s also been a burden.

“In retrospect, it wasn’t good for him or us,” Holder said.

(More)

OSU is bound to Ford for $2.25 million in 2014-15 and $2.4 million each of the four seasons after that. That’s $11.85 million over five years.

That’s why Ford remains the coach. Holder won’t touch the question of whether Ford’s contract is saving his job — “Who knows? You can hypothetical yourself to death,” Holder said — but almost $12 million is a lot of money. OSU wouldn’t have to pay him off in one lump sum, unless there was a negotiation, and any money Ford made from a subsequent job (basketball or not) would be deducted from OSU’s obligation. But still, if Ford found a job for $1 million a year, that’s still $1.4 million per year OSU would owe from 2015 through 2019.

Just incredible. Time is a flat circle. 

2 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

It is a decent tradition.