2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

Here is a write up I did about a month ago...To update...ISU is now 23-5  and 14-3 in conf (tied with Drake for 1st)...For those interested in the Drake coach, please note that ISU beat Drake.

Below is an article on Josh Schertz...Indiana St coach . He has been a coach for 16  years. He took over ISU 3 yrs ago.  They had 11 wins his 1st year...23 wins last year and this year 18-3 (9-1 MVC) with 10 games to go plus MVC tourney. They are in 1st place in MVC and have a 76% chance to Dance.  He spent 13 years at Div 2 all at 1 school ...LMU. He went to 10 NCAA tournaments in 13 years...His win percentage ... .831.  But when you click on the link below ...read what other college coaches have to say about him.

Here are the important numbers...He just signed  a 5 year contract before this season .  He makes $365,000/yr...His buyout is $250,000. Now before some of you pooh pooh ISU and the MVC, remember that if The Bills were playing in the MVC  this year we would be ranked 11th out of 12 teams with a coach who was making nearly 7 times the amount that Schertz is making. He can coach ,  do X's & O's , recruit , is good not only on the court but off the court and  is a stand up guy. We could double his salary and still have $1.8 million left for NIL.

Read the article below and discuss....

https://gosycamores.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/josh-schertz/875

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Here is a write up I did about a month ago...To update...ISU is now 23-5  and 14-3 in conf (tied with Drake for 1st)...For those interested in the Drake coach, please note that ISU beat Drake.

Below is an article on Josh Schertz...Indiana St coach . He has been a coach for 16  years. He took over ISU 3 yrs ago.  They had 11 wins his 1st year...23 wins last year and this year 18-3 (9-1 MVC) with 10 games to go plus MVC tourney. They are in 1st place in MVC and have a 76% chance to Dance.  He spent 13 years at Div 2 all at 1 school ...LMU. He went to 10 NCAA tournaments in 13 years...His win percentage ... .831.  But when you click on the link below ...read what other college coaches have to say about him.

Here are the important numbers...He just signed  a 5 year contract before this season .  He makes $365,000/yr...His buyout is $250,000. Now before some of you pooh pooh ISU and the MVC, remember that if The Bills were playing in the MVC  this year we would be ranked 11th out of 12 teams with a coach who was making nearly 7 times the amount that Schertz is making. He can coach ,  do X's & O's , recruit , is good not only on the court but off the court and  is a stand up guy. We could double his salary and still have $1.8 million left for NIL.

Insert eggplant emojis 

36 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

ISU's leading scorer is named Courvoisier??

ladies-man-the-ladies-man.gif

2 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

ISU's leading scorer is named Courvoisier??

ladies-man-the-ladies-man.gif

Just lol’d on the toilet and the dudes in both adjacent stalls are now wondering what exactly I’m doing in here. 

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

Schertz also could conceivably bring a good chunk of that roster with him. 

I love Schertz, but I think this fact is going to make him even harder for SLU to hire.  I really fear there are going to be smart AD’s at Big 10 schools that will make him their top target.  I’m not high as DeVries as some others, but he would probably work out.  Really like McCollum, but as @Slu let the dogs out? said a D2 coach is probably viewed as too big of a risk by the people making the decision.  The X job has to be pretty attractive to Chris Mack right now.  Holtman would be okay.

I’m more open than most to taking a chance on someone without or with really little college head coaching experience.  I think it is time to think about running a college basketball program completely different than it has been. With head coaches and assistants being much more skill development and game planning guys than the recruiting first people seem to be much more of today. Then you have a separate personal department that handles nil budgets, player evaluations at both the high school and college level, etc.  I think younger guys without a long track record would be more open to that.  That is probably considered way too risky by everyone involved in the decision process.

Just now, brianstl said:

smart AD’s

Wonder what that's like. 

Also, like you, I am not as high on DeVries. Schertz or Wardle are my picks if its an MVC coach. I, like you, think Schertz might shoot higher but it also depends how this season finishes. He has been basically playing 6 dudes all year and now has had a couple injuries that led to road bumps. Swope is playing with a bad wheel or two that will require surgery after the season so we'll see if they can patch him up. Avila will be a big $$ free agent this offseason, but would be best suited going with Schertz because he's the kind of guy you have to build an offense around. Outside of that offense, he isn't nearly as valuable.

Wardle rebuilt an absolutely toxic dumpster fire into a perennial contender in the MVC and has 2 tournament appearances as well. Bradley's status was worse than the current SLU status when he got there. 

TheChosenOne likes this

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I love Schertz, but I think this fact is going to make him even harder for SLU to hire.  I really fear there are going to be smart AD’s at Big 10 schools that will make him their top target.  I’m not high as DeVries as some others, but he would probably work out.  Really like McCollum, but as @Slu let the dogs out? said a D2 coach is probably viewed as too big of a risk by the people making the decision.  The X job has to be pretty attractive to Chris Mack right now.  Holtman would be okay.

I’m more open than most to taking a chance on someone without or with really little college head coaching experience.  I think it is time to think about running a college basketball program completely different than it has been. With head coaches and assistants being much more skill development and game planning guys than the recruiting first people seem to be much more of today. Then you have a separate personal department that handles nil budgets, player evaluations at both the high school and college level, etc.  I think younger guys without a long track record would be more open to that.  That is probably considered way too risky by everyone involved in the decision process.

I'm with you on Holtmann and DeVries. Would I be upset if he either was hired? No, but it also wouldn't make my socks roll up and down. If we can somehow land Schertz who wants to split courtside season tix with me and cover 80% of the costs?

TheChosenOne likes this

I just have to hope that a lot of unexpected jobs open up and coaches make lateral or slightly upwards moves. If not, a guy like Schertz is going to do better than SLU. Or you have to hope SLU gets him on board basically now. The worst thing you can do is probably wait around to make a move this spring. Hopefully Ford doesn't have a contract that expires March 31st like some coaches do. Fire him quickly and hire the next guy immediately. 

I just hope we take a risk for once. It's not like things can get much lower than they are now. Don't care if we're ranked 225th or 295th really. 

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I just have to hope that a lot of unexpected jobs open up and coaches make lateral or slightly upwards moves. If not, a guy like Schertz is going to do better than SLU. Or you have to hope SLU gets him on board basically now. The worst thing you can do is probably wait around to make a move this spring. Hopefully Ford doesn't have a contract that expires March 31st like some coaches do. Fire him quickly and hire the next guy immediately. 

I just hope we take a risk for once. It's not like things can get much lower than they are now. Don't care if we're ranked 225th or 295th really. 

Knowing May, he probably agreed to a November 1st buyout price reduction.

30 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I just have to hope that a lot of unexpected jobs open up and coaches make lateral or slightly upwards moves. If not, a guy like Schertz is going to do better than SLU. Or you have to hope SLU gets him on board basically now.

We need to make him aware that St. Louis has the best fans in baseball, that will lock him up.

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

We need to make him aware that St. Louis has the best fans in baseball, that will lock him up.

I still remember one of the first questions at Ford's introductory meet and greet with fans was "Are you a Cardinals fan?"

He chuckled and said he was, but inside he was probably like "This is the easiest paycheck I will ever earn".

Chris May is the guy on the Titanic who when asked “hey you think we just hit an iceberg?” …. “No way it’s April, couldn’t be more excited about this ship and this ship is unsinkable, best ship I’ve ever been on! As long as I am AD, this ship will be sailing a long time!” 

50 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I still remember one of the first questions at Ford's introductory meet and greet with fans was "Are you a Cardinals fan?"

He chuckled and said he was, but inside he was probably like "This is the easiest paycheck I will ever earn".

Wasn't one of Ford's first community events at Ballpark Village? I remember being there

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Ben McCollum

Hmmm, saying he would leave for a school that's in a position to finish first consistently...that applies here. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Hmmm, saying he would leave for a school that's in a position to finish first consistently...that applies here. 

There is a lot to love there. Schertz is still my top candidate based on proof of concept at D1, but I think McCollum could be a truly once in a lifetime hire if it can translate to D1 in this era..

45 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

What's a shame is that there are plenty of people, including people on this board, who genuinely care whether the head coach is a Cardinals fan or not. 

I don't even think Ford is a Billiken fan at this point, lol.

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

There is a lot to love there. Schertz is still my top candidate based on proof of concept at D1, but I think McCollum could be a truly once in a lifetime hire if it can translate to D1 in this era..

That’s pretty much where I am too. I’m not including guys like Chris Mack and Porter Moser in my list, as I think those might be a bit far-fetched, but I’m basically at Schertz and Devries as a 1 and 1(a), and if those guys don’t come here, I’d be happy pivoting to McCollum. 
I really want us to return to a situation where we have a coach who is a high level basketball tactician. 

TheChosenOne likes this

8 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I don't even think Ford is a Billiken fan at this point, lol.

He's on #TeamBlue 

If you thought they were getting you the tournament you're on #TeamBlueBalls