2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Put me in the camp that the next hire can't be someone who's been fired before 

That would eliminate quite a few candidates. You have to judge the circumstances of their departures. For instance, Moser or Wade would be great hires.  In the past that would have eliminated Sampson or Beard.  We should be able to look at the total resume of a coach to hire who’s best.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, TRN said:

That would eliminate quite a few candidates. You have to judge the circumstances of their departures. For instance, Moser or Wade would be great hires.  In the past that would have eliminated Sampson or Beard.  We should be able to look at the total resume of a coach to hire who’s best.

I should have been more specific. No candidate who was fired this year 

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

We should hire a coach on the way up for once.  

People don’t want to hire an assistant coach, they don’t want to hire the creator of Dunk City a year removed from a three straight NCAA tournament run that included an Elite Eight run because LeBron screwed up his program, even some don’t want Moser for some reasons……

People aren’t going to have many candidates when DeVries and Schertz both take Big 10 jobs.

1 hour ago, TRN said:

Moser has OU in the top 20 why would he be fired? Even if he was, SLU job is beneath him now. Plenty of P5/6’s would scoop him up in a heart beat. 

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Moser has OU in the top 20 why would he be fired? Even if he was, SLU job is beneath him now. Plenty of P5/6’s would scoop him up in a heart beat. 

Moser wants out of Norman. 

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Great and he wants to coach SLU? C’mon, if he wants out he’ll have have his pick of open P5/6 jobs in March who will be kicking down his doors waving fistfuls of cash in his face. 

I don’t disagree. Only way it could happen is if there is legit talk about SLU joining the BE. 

24 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Great and he wants to coach SLU? C’mon, if he wants out he’ll have have his pick of open P5/6 jobs in March who will be kicking down his doors waving fistfuls of cash in his face. 

Who said he’s coming to SLU?  I said if you don’t want to hire a coach who’s been fired he wouldn’t be in scope, if he leaves Norman.  I don’t think he’d want an A10 job, nor one with a weak AD.

44 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Curious as to your source is this information. Moser is making $2.8 mill thru 2027.

His AD is retiring.  He doesn't want to go through another one.

He doesn't like the pressure and all that comes with it of a BCS school that plays cheap with its basketball program.

Wants to return to his Jesuit roots.  

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

People don’t want to hire an assistant coach, they don’t want to hire the creator of Dunk City a year removed from a three straight NCAA tournament run that included an Elite Eight run because LeBron screwed up his program, even some don’t want Moser for some reasons……

People aren’t going to have many candidates when DeVries and Schertz both take Big 10 jobs.

I would take Enfield, just not a HR hire for me personally.  Better hire than Ford.

My preferred candidate is Ben McCollum.

3 minutes ago, thetorch said:

He doesn't like the pressure and all that comes with it of a BCS school that plays cheap with its basketball program.

I want some of what you're smoking. Normally I totally agree with you, this is nuts.

You saying he's going to DePaul or something? Back to Loyola?

And for the record of course I would wave around any amount of cash or whatever to bring Moser. That dude has got it.

6 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I want some of what you're smoking. Normally I totally agree with you, this is nuts.

You saying he's going to DePaul or something? Back to Loyola?

And for the record of course I would wave around any amount of cash or whatever to bring Moser. That dude has got it.

The rumors have been out there for a couple months.  Moser wants to emulate Majerus.  Coaching is easier at a basketball only school especially when you have no idea who your AD is going to be.

I'm not saying we get him but second hand SLU boosters have reached out to gauge interest.  DePaul is all over him. Their people are throwing around 3.5-4 mil a year for Wade or Moser.

17 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I would take Enfield, just not a HR hire for me personally.  Better hire than Ford.

My preferred candidate is Ben McCollum.

He wouldn’t be my first choice either, but like you said he would be a solid hire.

I've seen plenty of lists, I gave mine. 

With this hire SLU has a chance to get a coach who could be here for 20 years and build a winning program with a winning system.  I don't want a retread like Ford who may give us a fighting chance for 4 seasons and then end up getting fired.  

McCollum fits this bill to a T.  Early 40s.  Ridiculous Xs and Os.  Has a winning system.  Pay him, get him here till he retires, win 10 A10 champiosnhips.  recruiting in the NIL age will take care of itself money wise.  McCollum has an ability to get players who can do well in his system and perform that other might not look at.  We won't have to compete with the P6 programs for terrible transfers.  We'll retain our own guys because they are getting paid good money, winning games and scoring 25-30 points a night.

33 minutes ago, thetorch said:

With this hire SLU has a chance to get a coach who could be here for 20 years and build a winning program with a winning system.  I don't want a retread like Ford who may give us a fighting chance for 4 seasons and then end up getting fired.  

McCollum fits this bill to a T.  Early 40s.  Ridiculous Xs and Os.  Has a winning system.  Pay him, get him here till he retires, win 10 A10 champiosnhips.  recruiting in the NIL age will take care of itself money wise.  McCollum has an ability to get players who can do well in his system and perform that other might not look at.  We won't have to compete with the P6 programs for terrible transfers.  We'll retain our own guys because they are getting paid good money, winning games and scoring 25-30 points a night.

I like McCollum a lot.  I just don’t know if the people that will be making this decision will feel that taking a chance on a D 2 coach is too big of a risk at this time for the program to take.  The moment for guys like McCollum, Ahearn or any assistant might have passed last spring. The downside risk some would be willing to put their money on might be much lower now with the way this season has played out both record rise and at the gate.

Was watching B10, Purdue vs Northwestern, 2 former MVC local area coaches are assistants there--Chris Lowery at Northwestern and Paul Lusk at Purdue.  Both had head coaching experience that went okay to not great but now both at bigger schools as assistants.  Both would know about NIL & portal recruiting and both have run programs before.  Both come a lot cheaper than what paying Ford--since if have to do a big buyout, this probably means less to throw at new coach.  Not saying they should be on the list but just don't overlook this kind of hire either.

Billikenbooster likes this

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

I've heard this from a couple people very close to Porter. Theres a reason he turned down a lot of jobs before he left Loyola. He liked his setup. He doesn't like his setup at OU. 

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Honestly. Just make Torch the AD. 

this is lucid 

15 hours ago, StLouBlue said:

Was watching B10, Purdue vs Northwestern, 2 former MVC local area coaches are assistants there--Chris Lowery at Northwestern and Paul Lusk at Purdue.  Both had head coaching experience that went okay to not great but now both at bigger schools as assistants.  Both would know about NIL & portal recruiting and both have run programs before.  Both come a lot cheaper than what paying Ford--since if have to do a big buyout, this probably means less to throw at new coach.  Not saying they should be on the list but just don't overlook this kind of hire either.

Hard pass.

majerus mojo, AGB91 and JMM28 like this

16 hours ago, StLouBlue said:

Lusk was under .500 at Missouri State. Lowery was handed the keys to one of the best mid-major teams in the country at Southern Illinois, did well in his first few years, and drove that program straight off a cliff. They still haven’t recovered, and he’s been gone for 10+ years. When he did well early in his tenure at SIU, he became a hot commodity for bigger jobs, so SIU gave him a big contract. The problem was that shortly after that, the program started to decline, but I think they had to ride it out for a few years because his buyout was high. The concern that some of have that Ford’s buyout is too high for us to pay, requiring us to just wear this for a year or two? SIU experienced that with Lowery.

JMM28 and 3star_recruit like this