2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

How long until someone says today's social media antics hurts our recruiting or coaching search 

Recruiting but not coaching search.  The fans or the school didn't do anything to cause this - it was all self-inflicted by the Ford camp.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

How long until someone says today's social media antics hurts our recruiting or coaching search 

Those guys have gone into hiding. Or changed to Ford needs to go but we can't afford it or get someone better posters.

3 hours ago, stmdragons said:

It might not be his son, but that Sean McDonald account is 1000% a close relative of Travis. There’s literally nobody else who would be defending him to this degree. 

There’s one person… and that person has not posted here in a while ..

I recommend "Eye on College Basketball" podcast Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander they're actually pretty funny too. GP needles IU fans relentlessly, deriding them as a "flagship" program and the 4th best team in Indiana.

Anyway, they were discussing M. Cronin's troubles at UCLA and speculating if he's be in trouble this season after what he's accomplished there final 4 etc.  They mentioned that Alford had some success but was let go when he started losing.

I agree with @3star_recruit that SLU will go with someone that's viewed as a "safe hire" not a risk. Though it's fun to discuss the risky candidates. An established known quantity would be Cronin. He's a Midwest guy (UC) if that matters. His baggage is this year he's questioned the intelligence of his players, said UCLA doesn't have enough NIL funds to get better players and skipped the post game after a loss. 

Lots of ifs ahead, if he were fired. Perhaps depending on his contract SLU could pay him a low salary while UCLA picked up the rest. I know things like this have been done before it's all dependent on contract wording.  If UCLA were dependent on picking up the difference in his salary up to $4.1mil.  His current contract is $4.1mil through 2027-2028.

24-28 pay buyout $2.5mil, pay MC $300k UCLA pays difference

28-29 Cronin Salary at SLU whatever is agreed to

Just spitballing a way out of this situation.

Texas wanted to get rid of Shaka Smart because he wasn't winning Marquette saved them. Texas makes the Great 8 to seasons later.

Mick Cronin on the hot seat is something.  Lost to Utah by a billion.
 If he becomes available he immediately becomes far and away my number 1 preference. 

However, apparently his buyout is um…20M dollars.  🤯

His agent is even better than Fords! 

4 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

Mick Cronin on the hot seat is something.  Lost to Utah by a billion.
 If he becomes available he immediately becomes far and away my number 1 preference. 

However, apparently his buyout is um…20M dollars.  🤯

His agent is even better than Fords! 

12 ncaa tourney wins > 1 ncaa tourney win

He's had some bizarre behavior this season, but dude has won big in the past.

I know there have been deals made where a guy is fired and hired by another school. The new school pays less while the guy is getting paid by his former school. Just saying if money is an issue maybe creative solutions can be found.

10 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

He's had some bizarre behavior this season, but dude has won big in the past.

I know there have been deals made where a guy is fired and hired by another school. The new school pays less while the guy is getting paid by his former school. Just saying if money is an issue maybe creative solutions can be found.

We literally did this with Travis.

Young Charles likes this

1 minute ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

They are very unforgiving at UCLA. We don't hold a candle to Bruin fans.

Cronin won everywhere he's been. Murray State, Cincy & UCLA.

Take him in a heartbeat.

If you're below .500 at a bluebood, the claws come out.  UCLA has a NET ranking of 209 with blue chippers up and down the roster.  Historically bad start to the season but Cronin has earned a mulligan for putting UCLA back on the map.

MusicCityBilliken and AGB91 like this

18 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Does anyone know if Chris May still exists and if he does, is he ok? 

Chris May is a myth, a spook story that mother's tell their young Billiken fans at night. "Complain about coaching, and Chris May will get you." And no-one ever really believes.

SLU_Lax likes this

32 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

We literally did this with Travis.

Wishful thinking. He'd be a candidate at UofL and maybe IU if they decide to move on.

13 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Wishful thinking. He'd be a candidate at UofL and maybe IU if they decide to move on.

No I mean we literally hired Travis Ford and paid him partial salary because OSU was paying him still.  He got his best results when OSU was still footing part of the bill.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

No I mean we literally hired Travis Ford and paid him partial salary because OSU was paying him still.  He got his best results when OSU was still footing part of the bill.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I think Cronin, if fired, may have bigger program suitors. UofL is going to be in the market for a coach, he'd be a fit.

But if not maybe we could do the same on the contract it would help take the sting out of the buyout.

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Or as Jimmy Buffett sang (SLU’s) Math Suks, due to Travis’ buyout. 

As the son of a son of a coach 

I went out on the sideline for adventure

Disappointed a few of the fans and you

Like a man just released from Iba Gallagher

As a screamer of screams I'm an animated man

I have chalked up many a Technical fouls

Read dozens of coaching books, my agents' a crook

And I didn't learn much from both of their styles

Son of a son, son of a son

Son of a son of a coach

Son of a gun, shoulda won the last one

Better not my contract broach

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

54 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Chris May is a myth, a spook story that mother's tell their young Billiken fans at night. "Complain about coaching, and Chris May will get you." And no-one ever really believes.

Yeah he certainly behaves like a poltergeist. 

It took Cronin a while to get going at Cincinnati. 11 wins, then 13, then 16, then 19 in his first four seasons with no NCAA Tournament appearances. But then he made 9 straight Tournaments.

His first season at UCLA was the COVID year, so he's made the Tournament 3/3 times there, with a Final Four and 2 Sweet Sixteens. I'd personally give him a mulligan this season but I'm not sure it's possible at UCLA if things get bad enough.