GDT: SLU v. Loyola Chicago

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

ill never forget (or forgive) pollard at the coca cola shoot out kevin lisch's senior year at althoff calling 4 fouls in about 3 minutes of floor time for lisch.   the whole arena was furious as most came to watch the home town boy. 

ted had more than one bad call last night.   he didnt lose the game for the billikens, but i swear ted wants the fans to hate him.   after that out of bounds call i screamed right after, "dont make us start throwing chairs Ted".   got a laugh from those around me.  

I forget the year, but we were playing SIUC at the Dale of Carbon;

We had a player go up for a layup, gets fouled WAY before the basket, Sheriff Jerry sounds the whistle; he then proceeds to look all around the arena like a prize fighter taking in the scenery.

He then raises his hand as high as it will go, and with two fingers gives us that "ITS GOOD!" signal nearly to the floor, definitely below his knees. The Carbondale fans erupt. If there weren't chairs thrown there were definitely some "expletives" thrown at the floor.

Was to our huge benefit, but that just sums up Pollard. It's not even about which team or any of that stuff, he's just looking for that crowd to start going crazy. TV Ted and Sheriff Jerry missed their true calling as WWE heels.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not sit here and listen to any Gerry Pollard slander. Pollard is a professional official. Lisch shouldn't have done the crime if he didn't want to do the time. 

10 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I will not sit here and listen to any Gerry Pollard slander. Pollard is a professional official. Lisch shouldn't have done the crime if he didn't want to do the time. 

Pollard is in the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame, just FYI. He has an AOL email address. That all checks out. :)

-the game was very physical all around,  I thought the refs were pretty consistent in how they called the game, they sure didn't do the ole let's have a wrestling match in the first half and then change how we call it in the second

-this out of shape comment on the postgame is beyond my comprehension

-we just had two weeks of practice and the number of times we picked up our dribble without a clue as to what we were going to do with the ball made me wonder what was practiced

-were GibJim's only 3pt looks in transition? seemed that way

-free throws, yuck and French wasn't even playing

-I didn't see Thames limping or favoring so that's good

-there is at least one poster who thinks when we weave we are looking at the defense to see what play to run, other teams do that, we don't

-probably Cian's worst game, I expect he bounces back strong

-I thought at the one timeout Drew Valentine was going to strangle someone as he went crazy. A CFord-like exhibition

-the free and discount tickets must have worked as there were more folks than I expected but if it goes like KenPom projects in a few weeks what does the ADept do to get butts in the seats?

39 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-the game was very physical all around,  I thought the refs were pretty consistent in how they called the game, they sure didn't do the ole let's have a wrestling match in the first half and then change how we call it in the second

-we just had two weeks of practice and the number of times we picked up our dribble without a clue as to what we were going to do with the ball made me wonder what was practiced

-there is at least one poster who thinks when we weave we are looking at the defense to see what play to run, other teams do that, we don't

-I thought at the one timeout Drew Valentine was going to strangle someone as he went crazy. A CFord-like exhibition

-the free and discount tickets must have worked as there were more folks than I expected but if it goes like KenPom projects in a few weeks what does the ADept do to get butts in the seats?

I'll add that the energy Thames and Hughes Jr displayed was a positive.  Both showed they belonged on the floor with the game on the line.  I do wish Jr would find a mid range jumper.  All 7 of his attempts were behind the arc.  And of course both need to get better at the FT line.

billiken_roy likes this

All OG Gibby’s 3s were on breaks. Travis doesn’t know how else to get him open looks. But he sure know how to set up his D to get opponents wide open looks. I accept our talent level is below what it has been, but if you have good schemes you can make up for talent shortfalls . Sadly, our guy doesn’t have any schemes up his sleeve. 

25 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

They've struggled to get Jimerson looks in the half court offense. It's been that way all season. So yeah, a lot of his 11 attempts last night were in transition.

Refs were not a factor last night.

@billikenfan05 has been saying this for a while now, but given all the injuries this season and the fact that they're always clearly exhausted in the second half, I really have questions about our strength and conditioning program/staff.

They're going to need to give away tickets for all remaining games to fill seats.

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

All OG Gibby’s 3s were on breaks. Travis doesn’t know how else to get him open looks. But he sure know how to set up his D to get opponents wide open looks. I accept our talent level is below what it has been, but if you have good schemes you can make up for talent shortfalls . Sadly, our guy doesn’t have any schemes up his sleeve. 

i amnot at practice but our defensive efforts as compared to rickma or spoon teams makes me wonder just how much time and focus is spent on defense in practice.   so many bonehead action on the defensive end so much just bad fundamental play and thinking.   never adjustments.

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i amnot at practice but our defensive efforts as compared to rickma or spoon teams makes me wonder just how much time and focus is spent on defense in practice.   so many bonehead action on the defensive end so much just bad fundamental play and thinking.   never adjustments.

Travis couldn’t carry Rick or Spoon’s jock when it comes to coaching or teaching the game. 

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Soderberg's teams couldn't score but they played much better defense. There's a reason UB is on the UVA bench. It isn't for recruiting.

14 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Soderberg's teams couldn't score but they played much better defense. There's a reason UB is on the UVA bench. It isn't for recruiting.

Yeah, our defense is incredibly bad, we don't take anything away from our opponent. In the interview played before the game, Ford emphasized how the defense and TO's are unacceptable and needs to improve. So, he said the right things and talked about how they had made those points of emphasis in practice. And then we go out and turn the ball over 16 times vs. 9 for Loyola as they put up 80 points on us and Loyola is not an offensive power. The rebounding has improved, but we just do not defend. I think we have some limitations defensively individually, but we seem lost. Majerus and Sodie both had systems defensively that as a fan was easy to see play out in front of you. With Ford, I have no clue what our defensive system is. I honestly would be fine if Ford said that while we need to become more sound on defense, we are going to really try to force tempo getting point in transition and bomb away from 3 to make up for the defensive end.

I guess we will just wait to see how things look once Parker returns.

27 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, our defense is incredibly bad, we don't take anything away from our opponent. In the interview played before the game, Ford emphasized how the defense and TO's are unacceptable and needs to improve. So, he said the right things and talked about how they had made those points of emphasis in practice. And then we go out and turn the ball over 16 times vs. 9 for Loyola as they put up 80 points on us and Loyola is not an offensive power. The rebounding has improved, but we just do not defend. I think we have some limitations defensively individually, but we seem lost. Majerus and Sodie both had systems defensively that as a fan was easy to see play out in front of you. With Ford, I have no clue what our defensive system is. I honestly would be fine if Ford said that while we need to become more sound on defense, we are going to really try to force tempo getting point in transition and bomb away from 3 to make up for the defensive end.

I guess we will just wait to see how things look once Parker returns.

Our point guard play is woefully inadequate to play in transition. When Yuri was here we could run a little bit. Hargrove and Thames are the only guys i feel confident running at full sprint. You saw enough of Meadows and Medley last night to know that high tempo transition play is impossible with this roster.

We have to slow it down way more, stop turning the ball over, and fire treys from NBA range and hope they go down. If we hit 40+% we can win(at least 45% to have real confidence) .. if we are under that, we lose. I've been beating this drum for weeks. Y'all can't see it?

7 minutes ago, Soderball said:

We have to slow it down way more, stop turning the ball over, and fire treys from NBA range and hope they go down. If we hit 40+% we can win(at least 45% to have real confidence) .. if we are under that, we lose. I've been beating this drum for weeks. Y'all can't see it?

I think we have similar thoughts (limiting TOs has to be point of emphasis #1 and we need to beat teams from 3 to make up for the poor defense), I personally would try to get there using a different style of play than you. I think we might have a better chance bombing away from 3 and finding open looks pushing in transition and early in the possession before the defense is set vs. slowing it down and finding looks running offense.

11 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Our point guard play is woefully inadequate to play in transition. When Yuri was here we could run a little bit. Hargrove and Thames are the only guys i feel confident running at full sprint. You saw enough of Meadows and Medley last night to know that high tempo transition play is impossible with this roster.

Speaking of shooting 3's someone on this board pontificated earlier that TJ should never shoot the 3. At well over 40% YTD he needs to shoot more. 

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I think we have similar thoughts (limiting TOs has to be point of emphasis #1 and we need to beat teams from 3 to make up for the poor defense), I personally would try to get there using a different style of play than you. I think we might have a better chance bombing away from 3 and finding open looks pushing in transition and early in the possession before the defense is set vs. slowing it down and finding looks running offense.

Our rebounding has only improved because of Brad Ezewiro. He look ready for "pushing in transition" ??

Did Cian Medley look like he was ready to dish up some dimes on the perimeter?

Our point guard play is not good enough to do what you're describing. We need the higher % not the higher attempts. We actually outrebounded Loyola by a huge margin. That lends itself to slow it down and fire threes with 10 seconds or less on the shot clock.

5 minutes ago, willie said:

Speaking of shooting 3's someone on this board pontificated earlier that TJ should never shoot the 3. At well over 40% YTD he needs to shoot more. 

At this point, TJ Hargrove should be the "go to guy". Run some pick n pops, run some plays to get him going down hill at the rim, maybe it opens up Jimerson more.

NYBilliken likes this

17 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Our point guard play is not good enough to do what you're describing. We need the higher % not the higher attempts. We actually outrebounded Loyola by a huge margin. That lends itself to slow it down and fire threes with 10 seconds or less on the shot clock.

We have a difference of opinion on what tempo to play at, it’s ok. Not sure why you are so aggressive, but I’ll retreat back to not posting on the main board.

21 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

At this point, TJ Hargrove should be the "go to guy". Run some pick n pops, run some plays to get him going down hill at the rim, maybe it opens up Jimerson more.

Said this last night at the game. Love Gibby, but he (seems to) never hit the three that ties it up, or takes the lead, or cuts in to a one possession game.  If we need a big shot at any point, I want it in Hargrove’s hands.  Only one on the team that has demonstrated any semblance of being “clutch”. 

billikenbill likes this

7 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Said this last night at the game. Love Gibby, but he (seems to) never hit the three that ties it up, or takes the lead, or cuts in to a one possession game.

Jimerson hit a big one against Hofstra. But, that was more the shot you want him to get/take vs. giving him the ball and saying go make a play which isn’t really his strength.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Travis couldn’t carry Rick or Spoon’s jock when it comes to coaching or teaching the game. 

thats what i said.   but i do think in the career picture, ford was a better recruiter than both.   he would have been a nice lead recruiter for spoon or rickma and then let them coach the recruit up like they were the best at. 

-is there a source that would show our points scored by shot clock intervals? for example, we score X% of our points with 5 to 10 seconds elapsed on the shot clock, etc

-and in a similar vein what our PPP are in those same intervals?