NC St over The Bills by 12

The Wiz

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, you hate to nail it when it is a double digit loss.

The sad thing is this was a very winnable game....it would have been a quality win on the road. Why do I say this was a winnable game. Because we didn't have to do anything special. Had we just played our normal game ....make Billiken season averages  in 2 areas ...we win.

1. TOs... 18-6 ..A difference of 12...When you have a 10 spread on TOs that is usually an automatic loss.  This was compounded by a horrible stat of  29-2 on pts off . Had we just made our season average of  11 TOs,  NC St has 12 less pts.   Hmm...12 pts ...that sounds familiar.

2.  3P shooting....8%( 1-12)...had we made our season average of 39%....we have 4 more 3s = 12pts ...12 again

If we  do both 1 and 2 (not an unusual feat) we win by ...wait for it ...12 pts...the trifecta of 12s.

Of course we were winning with a little over 12 min left.

Bottom line....Hickory , dickory, dock....The Bills ran up the clock....The clock struck 12 , The Bills ran down  and NC State turned the game into a lock.

OMG crews at best the second worst coach in billiken history.   only ekker was worse.   a lot of revision memory playing out here.   i am not defending ford, i am defeating crewsplatt.  

AGB91 and Billikenbooster like this

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

OMG crews at best the second worst coach in billiken history.   only ekker was worse.   a lot of revision memory playing out here.   i am not defending ford, i am defeating crewsplatt.  

Crews couldn’t recruit. Actual coaching wise I am not too sure there’s much of a difference.

Crews won 5 MVC  titles, 3 MVC tournaments, and had 4 NCAA bids at Evansville.

Crews knew how to coach.

He didn’t want to put in the effort it took to be a winner while he was here.

IMO Crews was much worse for the program but a much better coach than Ford. You don’t forget how to coach. Crew’s basically stole from the University. Collecting paycheck while not doing the work necessary to be successful. 
He didn’t want to be working. He wanted to be retired and took one last paycheck.

All things being equal Crews would coach circles around Ford. 

A team that cannot break the press is a sign of bad coaching.

Maybe I am wrong, but I did not see Meadows and Medley on the court at the same time. In the second half when they were struggling with the press, the obvious answer is to put both points guards on the court. It wasn’t in Ford’s game plan, and he did not adjust. In either case, it is a bad sign that the basic starters couldn’t handle the press.

TheA_Bomb likes this

31 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

A team that cannot break the press is a sign of bad coaching.

Maybe I am wrong, but I did not see Meadows and Medley on the court at the same time. In the second half when they were struggling with the press, the obvious answer is to put both points guards on the court. It wasn’t in Ford’s game plan, and he did not adjust. In either case, it is a bad sign that the basic starters couldn’t handle the press.

They were on the court together. I just don't remember what part of the game. I wanna say we were going left to right, though. The easiest times we had bringing up the ball were when it was in Ezewiro's hands. Idk just like, do that the whole game? 

59 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They were on the court together. I just don't remember what part of the game. I wanna say we were going left to right, though. The easiest times we had bringing up the ball were when it was in Ezewiro's hands. Idk just like, do that the whole game? 

-in the pregame interview CFord said NCST will press the whole game, it didn't look like we were prepared for it

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

Crews couldn’t recruit. Actual coaching wise I am not too sure there’s much of a difference.

sure, all good coaches never put rebounders on the lane for free throws.   all good coaches on every inbounds plays always just hoist the ball all the way down to the other end of the floor and start over.   we could go on.   

we could also review his temper activity at other schools before he came to slu.   he got in a fight and fired from army.   when still at evansville he directed his player on an inbounds pass to throw the ball in the face of the defender (broke his nose).   his player walked off the floor and quit.  he had 9 consecutive losing record seasons before his two great seasons with the rickma players (he only won the first two seasons because rickma's players were so well coached they were on autopilot.).   he then finished off his last two seasons at slu well under 500.   my understanding he then coached a group of 5th and 6th graders in Indiana before the parents revolted and fired him as well for losing every game.

5 hours ago, dlarry said:

Crews won 5 MVC  titles, 3 MVC tournaments, and had 4 NCAA bids at Evansville.

Crews knew how to coach.

He didn’t want to put in the effort it took to be a winner while he was here.

IMO Crews was much worse for the program but a much better coach than Ford. You don’t forget how to coach. Crew’s basically stole from the University. Collecting paycheck while not doing the work necessary to be successful. 
He didn’t want to be working. He wanted to be retired and took one last paycheck.

All things being equal Crews would coach circles around Ford. 

ford has more wins than crews and an overall better career winning percentage.

again, i am not defending ford, i am defeating any claims that crews was a better coach than ford.   he wasnt even close.   but they both are not good. 

26 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

To phrase it differently: I’d personally love to not have either of the coaches Chris May hired lead the SLU Basketball program. 

speak for yourself.  Would love to have both Co- head coach 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

sure, all good coaches never put rebounders on the lane for free throws.   all good coaches on every inbounds plays always just hoist the ball all the way down to the other end of the floor and start over.   we could go on.   

we could also review his temper activity at other schools before he came to slu.   he got in a fight and fired from army.   when still at evansville he directed his player on an inbounds pass to throw the ball in the face of the defender (broke his nose).   his player walked off the floor and quit.  he had 9 consecutive losing record seasons before his two great seasons with the rickma players (he only won the first two seasons because rickma's players were so well coached they were on autopilot.).   he then finished off his last two seasons at slu well under 500.   my understanding he then coached a group of 5th and 6th graders in Indiana before the parents revolted and fired him as well for losing every game.

You do know that Rick quite often did not put rebounders in on throws. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Good points. It is crazy to compare Ford to Crews.

Ford is comparable to Spoonhour or Grawer. Maybe worse than one or both, but comparable.

Crews is one of the only coaches, for a team I have followed, where I had to admit he was ‘objectively’ horrible.

billiken_roy likes this

With similarly untalented rosters:

2015-16 season under Crews - final KenPom rating 226

2016-17 season under Ford - final KenPom rating 273

I think you can argue about which roster is "better", but they both sucked.  It doesn't matter, but I'd say on pure Xs & Os Crews is marginally better.  Ford is a better overall coach because he's light years ahead in the Jimmys & Joes category.

dlarry likes this

37 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Good points. It is crazy to compare Ford to Crews.

Ford is comparable to Spoonhour or Grawer. Maybe worse than one or both, but comparable.

Crews is one of the only coaches, for a team I have followed, where I had to admit he was ‘objectively’ horrible.

I had mentioned how they compare with the same players.  Recruiting aside, I also think Ford is horrible. There are plenty of examples to prove that he is a bad coach, again recruiting aside.  Its impressive to go this long without a T25 win.