GDT: SLU v. SIU-Carbondale

SluSignGuy

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad and I drove down for the game. Cool arena, and we had great seats. I played high school ball with Darren Brooks, so it was nice to see the SIU shrines honoring him. 

Chance to pull within 7, right before the half. Lose by 40+. Ford has lost this team. Can’t started fixing it until he’s gone.

Though it was a necessity (injuries to Meadows/Hughes, foul trouble for Medley), it was nice to see Kellen run the point and get his first career double-double.

Bruce has soft hands…sometimes too soft. Needs to assert himself more. 

I like Dalger’s size and intensity, but he’s just not very good (especially to be a starter). Like Parker, once you pass the ball to Dalger, you’re not getting it back. Unlike Parker, he’s not a gifted scorer. Just another guy.

Jimerson, at one point (before some late free throws), had more turnovers than points. 🤷‍♂️ 

Not a Ford defender....always hated the hire....but watching objectively as much as I can....we were down to 8 scholarship players (4 true Freshman all from different countries) in the 2nd half. Everyone played. Just not good enough (Ford's fault) and SIU made every shot contested or not. Embarrassing result but I appreciate the Freshman and their effort.

Play Curcic more. Play a freaking big all the time. If you know your shot can't be blocked, every guard will get to the rim against us. Make Gibson hoist threes.

Definitely took Okoro, Forrester, and Linsen for granted. Even Anthony and Foreman. 

Ideal lineup for rest of season:

HC: Harriman

Curcic, Jimerson, Hargrove, Thames, and SVB (be a bruiser). 

First off bench LHJ, Zhang, then Dalger and Medley

12 minutes ago, David King said:

This loss is just a one off. 

Clearly, if Meadows hadn’t been injured, he would have shut down Johnson and scored in double figures. Add in the 20+ pts Parker would have scored, and this is a W without the Bill’s incredibly bad luck.

Bring on Drake!!!

Road trip to Des Moines on Wednesday! Who’s in? We’ll all go to Bubba’s after the game!

Under Majerus, the Billiken whole was significantly better than the sum of its parts.

Hopefully the SLU power brokers can recognize that the opposite is true under the current regime.

Until these last 2 games,  I was wondering whether the players were either unwilling or unable to do what the coaching staff wanted them to do. 

At this point, we are an embarrassment to the A-10.  Let Tate and Harriman take over for the remainder of the season.

10 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

Under Majerus, the Billiken whole was significantly better than the sum of its parts.

Hopefully the SLU power brokers can recognize that the opposite is true under the current regime.

Until these last 2 games,  I was wondering whether the players were either unwilling or unable to do what the coaching staff wanted them to do. 

At this point, we are an embarrassment to the A-10.  Let Tate and Harriman take over for the remainder of the season.

Then hire Jim Boeheim.  

Majerus ride #2

Every player on this roster is a role player.  Nary a one has starter talent whatsoever.  Ford recruited this mess.  Then added to it with a non-existent offense and apparently no defensive fundamentals.  This collection of players, coupled with the coach, is a disaster.  I don't think Drake will beat us by 41 or 39 or whatever but it too will be quite ugly.  

A total program shakeup is needed right now.  

And you can't press when two of your starting guards are in the locker room.  Ain't gonna happen.

NextYearBill likes this

The crazy part is that SIU isn’t some sort of powerhouse program. They’re coming into this year with a (alum) coach squarely on the hot seat. Lost their two All MVC guys to the portal. They were picked in the bottom half of the MVC. 

8 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Every player on this roster is a role player.  Nary a one has starter talent whatsoever.  Ford recruited this mess.  Then added to it with a non-existent offense and apparently no defensive fundamentals.  This collection of players, coupled with the coach, is a disaster.  I don't think Drake will beat us by 41 or 39 or whatever but it too will be quite ugly.  

A total program shakeup is needed right now.  

And you can't press when two of your starting guards are in the locker room.  Ain't gonna happen.

Disagree on Jimmer. He would be a major complementary player on most teams just not lead player. He would be a starter on a most teams. 

CenHudDude and SLU_Lax like this

@willie the key word in your post is 'complementary.'  Complementary to a decent big,. a decent Power 4, a decent small forward and a decent point.  Sure, guys have their 'moments.'  But that's what 'complementary' players do.  Our lone decent stud has a broken foot.  No one else approaches decent in my point of view on being a starter.

One last post on this disaster.

this was more than bad coaching, lack of talent, lack of size, and bad luck. 

This was a coaching staff who completely lost the team and a team that has lost faith in the staff and each other. 
Unless something drastic changes this team will go into every game expecting to get curbed stomped. 

This team now believes they are worse than they actually are. 
Confidence in themselves and the staff is gone. 

CenHudDude and slu92 like this

4 hours ago, David King said:

This loss is just a one off. 

Clearly, if Meadows hadn’t been injured, he would have shut down Johnson and scored in double figures. Add in the 20+ pts Parker would have scored, and this is a W without the Bill’s incredibly bad luck.

Bring on Drake!!!

ROAD TRIP!!!!!

David King likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

@willie the key word in your post is 'complementary.'  Complementary to a decent big,. a decent Power 4, a decent small forward and a decent point.  Sure, guys have their 'moments.'  But that's what 'complementary' players do.  Our lone decent stud has a broken foot.  No one else approaches decent in my point of view on being a starter.

You said no one else has starter talent  Totally disagree. Jimmer would start for most teams in this country. He would fit into the starting lineup of number one Purdue nicely. In fact he’s the type of player they need. 

SLU_Lax likes this