Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

A new coach might need to bring in 13 new players. There are guys on the roster I like but there's nobody that I consider a "must keep". 

Bruce would just be fun to keep if someone helped him develop.

JMM28 and TheChosenOne like this

26 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

A new coach might need to bring in 13 new players. There are guys on the roster I like but there's nobody that I consider a "must keep". 

Yeah there are a couple parts but there isn't a "top 3 guy on an at large team" guy on this roster. That includes Jimerson. I think if a guy really wants to be at SLU/graduate from SLU and wants to buy into the new coach's culture, he's worth keeping. Otherwise it is probably tear it all down and rebuild completely next year. 

The only reason I can think of not to get rid of Travis Ford at the end of the season is the cold hard fact that we don’t have enough cash to make it happen. If that’s the case, then you stop the auto-rollover clause in his contract, and wait until you do have the cash to make a change. If we really don’t have the cash or big money donors to step up, then we really haven’t seen rock bottom, but shortly will. I’m talking losing at home to NJIT, Mississippi Valley, and IUPUI fugly. I just don’t see things even remotely getting better with Travis Ford at head coach.  Now #238 in the NET and falling like a rock.

10 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The only reason I can think of not to get rid of Travis Ford at the end of the season is the cold hard fact that we don’t have enough cash to make it happen. If that’s the case, then you stop the auto-rollover clause in his contract, and wait until you do have the cash to make a change. If we really don’t have the cash or big money donors to step up, then we really haven’t seen rock bottom, but shortly will. I’m talking losing at home to NJIT, Mississippi Valley, and IUPUI fugly. I just don’t see things even remotely getting better with Travis Ford at head coach.  Now #238 in the NET and falling like a rock.

The contract stuff is still just conjecture, though until he's either gone or he's not. We won't know until he's gone probably.

43 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

Not sure what these clowns ragging on our only prominent booster are expecting to accomplish. Pathetic @moytoy12

If the only prominent booster is the reason we're stuck with Ford then he deserves criticism. What good is a big booster giving money if it's tied to losing?

This is how bigger college sports go. The normal fans get angry at meddling boosters when their meddling results in losing.

It's why a good AD is necessary to handle these boosters and align there interests into winning programs.

15 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

If the only prominent booster is the reason we're stuck with Ford then he deserves criticism. What good is a big booster giving money if it's tied to losing?

This is how bigger college sports go. The normal fans get angry at meddling boosters when their meddling results in losing.

It's why a good AD is necessary to handle these boosters and align there interests into winning programs.

Or what if he’s not the reason and gets sick of internet troll losers personally attacking him and decides his money better spent elsewhere? 

ACE, House and cgeldmacher like this

1 minute ago, 2010andBeyond said:

Or what if he’s not the reason and gets sick of internet troll losers personally attacking him and decides his money better spent elsewhere? 

Then he can certainly make that statement. He can also put pressure on the administration to make a change.

I take offense at your supposition that this is "Internet troll losers".  Moytoy is a graduate of SLU and law school. He's a smart guy and very knowledgeable sports fan, especially SLU basketball.

Chaifetz wanted to buy a NBA franchise this is just 1% of the online activity you'd get after just 1 or 2 NBA losses. 

But like I said if his money is coming with strings that hamstrung the program then it's bad money.  What's the point of being the richest loser?

2 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I agree and include the others in that Twitter that was posted

Then you're clueless.

You give money with strings attached you get the repurcussions if that doesn't work out.  You want your name on the building, want to sit courtside, get cheers, attention? There's a cost if it doesn't work out. Just a guess, that cost doesn't feel good and maybe just maybe it helps bring about a change.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Using some deductive reasoning, I am beginning to think that the buyout is not as bad as we may have thought.  If there were people who were willing to step up and do it last year, then May probably did not renew his contract the last two times or there is some kind of buyout clause that is less.   I just hope those who were rebuffed for Chaifetz saying no and to keep Ford are not pissed and won't step up now. If Chaifetz was the one who said keep him then he has to be the one to fix this.  Ford may not finish the year and I think there is even a chance he may not even be behind the bench this Saturday.   That team meeting is usually a death Nel for a coach because they rarely work, and it shows how much the coach has lost the room.  

I'll drink this kool-aid.

29 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Then you're clueless.

You give money with strings attached you get the repurcussions if that doesn't work out.  You want your name on the building, want to sit courtside, get cheers, attention? There's a cost if it doesn't work out. Just a guess, that cost doesn't feel good and maybe just maybe it helps bring about a change.

-are you Billiken Man on Twitter?

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

The contract stuff is still just conjecture, though until he's either gone or he's not. We won't know until he's gone probably.

A valid point, SLU keeps contract details as secret as Coke keeps its formula. However, Travis’s son would be in a position to know, and his tweet (and the ones from the other friend of Travis) indicated a $10 mil buyout. That’s actually the most accurate information we have. Certainly no one has any information that could be more accurate.

8 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-are you Billiken Man on Twitter?

Nope I stay away from Social Media. But I see the utility in situations like these

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

A valid point, SLU keeps contract details as secret as Coke keeps its formula. However, Travis’s son would be in a position to know, and his tweet (and the ones from the other friend of Travis) indicated a $10 mil buyout. That’s actually the most accurate information we have. Certainly no one has any information that could be more accurate.

While I tend to agree that was likely validation of the number, I would note the account that referenced the $10 million was the account that then went into real troll mode and not Shane's account if I remember correctly. I assume it had to be tied to Shane or someone tied to the family, but I don't think we know that as fact. It would seem like the $10 million is logical based on what folks have posted with regards to his annual compensation and knowing there is no chance he has a contract beyond 5 years.

10 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

While I tend to agree that was likely validation of the number, I would note the account that referenced the $10 million was the account that then went into real troll mode and not Shane's account if I remember correctly. I assume it had to be tied to Shane or someone tied to the family, but I don't think we know that as fact. It would seem like the $10 million is logical based on what folks have posted with regards to his annual compensation and knowing there is no chance he has a contract beyond 5 years.

If that is the amount, then they can’t fire him. Just give notice that his evergreen is termed and start the clock. They can fire May, unless he gave himself an evergreen contract… :)

10 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

If that is the amount, then they can’t fire him. Just give notice that his evergreen is termed and start the clock. They can fire May, unless he gave himself an evergreen contract… :)

I think most are under the belief that happened in the spring and that we are presumably minus one year of the buyout this spring. I don't have any connection to folks who would know, so just what I have pieced together from those who seem to know posting on here or other forums.

I have no clue whether folks like Novelly, Chaifetz, etc. are willing to contribute to buyout Ford at $10 million and then fund the salary for a new coach, but I think we have now reached the point where the cost of retaining him becomes a significant factor needing to be considered if the thought is we don't have $10 million. I think we also need to realize this is now the cost of doing business at the major level.

Typing Novelly and Chaifetz, the thought of the Chaifetz son telling Novelly no, we are good with Ford is amusing to me (this is merely based on those Tweets). I can imagine Novelly asking who the hell he is and why is he speaking to him.

brianstl likes this

16 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I think most are under the belief that happened in the spring and that we are presumably minus one year of the buyout this spring. I don't have any connection to folks who would know, so just what I have pieced together from those who seem to know posting on here or other forums.

I have no clue whether folks like Novelly, Chaifetz, etc. are willing to contribute to buyout Ford at $10 million and then fund the salary for a new coach, but I think we have now reached the point where the cost of retaining him becomes a significant factor needing to be considered if the thought is we don't have $10 million. I think we also need to realize this is now the cost of doing business at the major level.

Typing Novelly and Chaifetz, the thought of the Chaifetz son telling Novelly no, we are good with Ford is amusing to me (this is merely based on those Tweets). I can imagine Novelly asking who the hell he is and why is he speaking to him.

Totally agree this is the cost of doing business, however that doesn’t address the question of do we have the money to buy out Ford’s contract and to finance the expenses of getting in a new coach.  There is no way you can convince me that SLU academics generates that much spare cash to fund the current sports teams and come up with enough to pay for this on it’s own.  For those who say “take it out of SLU’s endowment “, get real. Universities use endowments to invest, and use the income from those investments for university expenses and capital projects for academic departments. Take money from that to give to Ford, and you have less money coming in every year in the future to to support academics. Not going to happen. How does everyone else do it? They get money donated from rich alumni and sports fans.  That’s what we need to do, absent that we do not have the cash to make this happen. I agree that not doing this could damage SLU athletics for years to come (we need the income from Men’s BB), but we still need the cash to make this happen, or we are stuck where we are.

6 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Totally agree this is the cost of doing business, however that doesn’t address the question of do we have the money to buy out Ford’s contract and to finance the expenses of getting in a new coach.  There is no way you can convince me that SLU academics generates that much spare cash to fund the current sports teams and come up with enough to pay for this on it’s own.  For those who say “take it out of SLU’s endowment “, get real. Universities use endowments to invest, and use the income from those investments for university expenses and capital projects for academic departments. Take money from that to give to Ford, and you have less money coming in every year in the future to to support academics. Not going to happen. How does everyone else do it? They get money donated from rich alumni and sports fans.  That’s what we need to do, absent that we do not have the cash to make this happen. I agree that not doing this could damage SLU athletics for years to come (we need the income from Men’s BB), but we still need the cash to make this happen, or we are stuck where we are.

Oklahoma State owed Coach Ford 7.5 million and both parties agreed to a lump sum payment of 3.9 million.  I assume the same situation would apply here.  But we'll never know what the lump sum payment is if it comes to pass.

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Oklahoma State owed Coach Ford 7.5 million and both parties agreed to a lump sum payment of 3.9 million.  I assume the same situation would apply here.  But we'll never know what the lump sum payment is if it comes to pass.

Don’t forget why they agreed to that, Ford wanted to coach somewhere else, but he couldn’t because he was under contract. He needed to get that settled to coach somewhere else. Who else is going to be wanting Travis Ford to coach at anywhere near his current salary level based on his current performance? No one. If that comes along, great, otherwise he will want all the money owed him per the contract.

4 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Then you're clueless.

Sorry, but a donation is a donation.  There are no strings attached.  When you donate millions of dollars to build an arena that we all get enjoy, that does not make you a permanent target for our program every time something goes wrong with the program.  Donating millions years ago, does not mean that you are on the hook to donate millions more every time Billikens.com posters are unhappy with the state of the Men's Basketball program.

10 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Don’t forget why they agreed to that, Ford wanted to coach somewhere else, but he couldn’t because he was under contract. He needed to get that settled to coach somewhere else. Who else is going to be wanting Travis Ford to coach at anywhere near his current salary level based on his current performance? No one. If that comes along, great, otherwise he will want all the money owed him per the contract.

I was thinking the same thing last night.  We actually need Ford to be an attractive option somewhere so that he agrees to a buyout.  If absolutely no one wants to hire him, he can just sit back and collect the $10M or $7.5M or $5M left on his contract.  Normally, you wouldn't want a coach leaving and raiding the cupboard of our players to attract a new school to give him a contract, but we need the team to do well so that Ford can convince another school to take him and some players he drags along with him.

16 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Sorry, but a donation is a donation.  There are no strings attached.  When you donate millions of dollars to build an arena that we all get enjoy, that does not make you a permanent target for our program every time something goes wrong with the program.  Donating millions years ago, does not mean that you are on the hook to donate millions more every time Billikens.com posters are unhappy with the state of the Men's Basketball program.

If someone donated money with no strings attached that would be true. The majority of donors don't donate enough to make demands.

The few donors, that get to put their name on things at the U, their money normally comes with strings.

If Dr. Chaifetz is the reason Ford is still here (as reported), he's partly to blame in what's going on. If he's not too blame, stirring him from his tower in Chicago might help too.

JMM28 likes this