Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

5 minutes ago, Compton said:

Agreed. But it's not just a now thing. We've consistently scheduled home-and-homes against mid-major teams. The year after winning the A10 and going to the tourney two years in a row we played at Indiana State and at Wichita State (who was still MVC at that time). We've always schedule home-and-homes against mid-major opponents alongside the P6s (e.g., Auburn, Vandy, K-State, Oregon State, Boston College, Seton Halls, and Butler)

The schedule over all this year is not exciting, especially the home schedule. That maybe by design or maybe because nobody was available. My impression is that scheduling has been OK under Ford. Last season you had Memphis at home that's a marque match up. Also a few other respectable mid-majors.  That's my ideal schedule, open with a few cupcakes to figure out the roster, at least 1 marque non-conference home game, 1 away that'll be home next season, whatever MTE you can get higher profile is better, and respectable mid-majors with emphasis on traditional/regional rivals SIUC, SMS, Bradley etc. 

Compton likes this

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I think a bigger deal from the Ford perspective is how harsh, strict, etc SLU was being on the rest of the SLU students/faculty/staff. Agree with the rules or not but your highest paid employee who is also one of your most public facing employees has to follow the same rules as everyone else. 

If no one on the team gets sick as a result of that, it's a non-issue. But he took a risk with the health of the team and got burned. It's relevant because he had a Top 25 team and was poised to have his best season. That's why it's significant. 

56 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Sorry, but is not what is happening.  Many of the people that don't like the constant complaining and calls to fire Ford probably agree with you.  They just don't want to hear about it in every other post in every thread.  There is nothing wrong with them wanting that.  It would be nice to be able to have discussions about Billiken basketball that did not constantly get taken over by "Fire Ford" sentiment.  I agree with what a lot of these posters are saying, I just don't want to see it in everything I read on the board.  The Wiz puts out his game predictions and the thread is taken over by the "Fire Ford" types.  There is discussion about recruit, and it gets taken over by the "Fire Ford" guys.  Just because some of us want to have discussions that don't involve firing Coach Ford, doesn't mean we like what is happening or that we disagree with those that take issue with Ford's performance.

I understand and I'm guilty of it, but I've tried lately to be better about it after hearing the complaints. I just think it's the nature of message boards to go that way. It's like GameDay threads. Read them on another site change the team name and they're all the same over the top negative with any bad play etc. So what I'm saying is I think it's going to be this way until Ford is fired. It be's that way sometimes.

58 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Sorry, but is not what is happening.  Many of the people that don't like the constant complaining and calls to fire Ford probably agree with you.  They just don't want to hear about it in every other post in every thread.  There is nothing wrong with them wanting that.  It would be nice to be able to have discussions about Billiken basketball that did not constantly get taken over by "Fire Ford" sentiment.  I agree with what a lot of these posters are saying, I just don't want to see it in everything I read on the board.  The Wiz puts out his game predictions and the thread is taken over by the "Fire Ford" types.  There is discussion about recruit, and it gets taken over by the "Fire Ford" guys.  Just because some of us want to have discussions that don't involve firing Coach Ford, doesn't mean we like what is happening or that we disagree with those that take issue with Ford's performance.

This is how the vast majority of people on here feel. Judging by the repetitive and unending number of post by a few folks, it’s  hard to argue with Ford’s comments.  

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

This is exactly where I'm at. I figure this season will play out, for good or bad, and things will change if needed.

But this board is getting unreadable with all the Fire Ford crap in every fuoking thread.

6 minutes ago, DOC said:

This is how the vast majority of people on here feel. Judging by the repetitive and unending number of post by a few folks, it’s  hard to argue with Ford’s comments.  

You have no clue how much some of us do. Maybe some of us aren't ineffective at doing our job like May and Ford and can do multiple things at once.

4 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

This is exactly where I'm at. I figure this season will play out, for good or bad, and things will change if needed.

But this board is getting unreadable with all the Fire Ford crap in every fuoking thread.

Hey you forgot the Fire May crap. That's step 1.  See you're proving the message is off.

9 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I am afraid that things won't change, that those with the $$$ don't feel that change is needed. That those in power don't feel change is needed. Or that the Chaifetz's no longer care enough to initiate the necessary change. The constant PR stream from the AD basically laying out excuses for this season's troubles scares me. 

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I am afraid that things won't change, that those with the $$$ don't feel that change is needed. That those in power don't feel change is needed. Or that the Chaifetz's no longer care enough to initiate the necessary change. The constant PR stream from the AD basically laying out excuses for this season's troubles scares me. 

This is where I’m at.  Pressure needs to be kept on May/Ford. We have seen that May will use any excuse/take any opportunity to not move on from Ford.  I fear that if there isn’t continuous vocal displeasure from fans, May will think he can get by another season without firing him.  We have seen what a waste this season has become.  Anyone who truly cares about this program should be doing whatever they can to ensure the same doesn’t happen next season.  I don’t care if it is “annoying” to a select few posters who don’t want anything negative said about anyone involved in this debacle. They’re welcome to use the ignore function, won’t hurt my feelings. 

TheA_Bomb and slufan13 like this

10 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

This is where I’m at.  Pressure needs to be kept on May/Ford. We have seen that May will use any excuse/take any opportunity to not move on from Ford.  I fear that if there isn’t continuous vocal displeasure from fans, May will think he can get by another season without firing him.  We have seen what a waste this season has become.  Anyone who truly cares about this program should be doing whatever they can to ensure the same doesn’t happen next season.  I don’t care if it is “annoying” to a select few posters who don’t want anything negative said about anyone involved in this debacle. They’re welcome to use the ignore function, won’t hurt my feelings. 

I'm becoming increasingly worried we have a Jerry and Stephen Jones and not Art and Dan Rooney. Or they just moved on all together and we're stuck.

There are fans who support the team positively no matter what because they love the team and always will. There are fans who will loudly speak out when the team is not performing because they love the team and always will. Every fanbase needs both and should be encouraged to have both. Both are good fans. 

I encourage both sides to do what they want to do and not worry about the other side. It's one of the few ways this season is really going to be enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I understand and I'm guilty of it, but I've tried lately to be better about it after hearing the complaints. I just think it's the nature of message boards to go that way. It's like GameDay threads. Read them on another site change the team name and they're all the same over the top negative with any bad play etc. So what I'm saying is I think it's going to be this way until Ford is fired. It be's that way sometimes.

GDTs are different.  You don’t have much time for thought.  Other than GDTs, before you post read what you have typed and give it some thought.

1 minute ago, CenHudDude said:

GDTs are different.  You don’t have much time for thought.  Other than GDTs, before you post read what you have typed and give it some thought.

Oh I've thought about it since SLU lost to SIUE at home.

NextYearBill likes this

55 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm becoming increasingly worried we have a Jerry and Stephen Jones and not Art and Dan Rooney. Or they just moved on all together and we're stuck.

I have no inside information, just what we can see at the Arena and on social media, but it definitely seems like the Chaifetz’s are much less involved.  When was the last time Rich and Ross were at their courtside seats?   They used to be there for every big game, I guess the problem is we have no big games anymore. 

Win or find someone else who can. 

I am a diehard, or at least I used to be. I can’t even tell you who/when we play next. 

I thought #2 on Hofstra was LHJ for awhile last game… only to realize we weren’t the blue jerseys. 

It’s beyond bad  

slufan13 and Soderball like this

33 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Win or find someone else who can. 

I am a diehard, or at least I used to be. I can’t even tell you who/when we play next. 

I thought #2 on Hofstra was LHJ for awhile last game… only to realize we weren’t the blue jerseys. 

It’s beyond bad  

Yeah I took my kids to chuck e cheese during the game. The sickness we all have that followed is still worth missing the game 

I liked Brad and was sad when he was let go. Then we hired RickMa and I was excited. I’ll always root for Brad and the game in St Charles with Drejaj versus Iowa is one of my favorite Bills games ever. 

I am sad he was beat up on the board. I went to almost every game back then, but didn’t follow the message board. 

JMM28 and TheA_Bomb like this

22 hours ago, slufan13 said:

There are fans who support the team positively no matter what because they love the team and always will. There are fans who will loudly speak out when the team is not performing because they love the team and always will. Every fanbase needs both and should be encouraged to have both. Both are good fans. 

I encourage both sides to do what they want to do and not worry about the other side. It's one of the few ways this season is really going to be enjoyable. 

This post illustrates the problem we are having.  It is not, at all, black and white like you just posted.  I am a loyal fan that will support the team no matter what.  I am also someone who wants better for our program and has the ability to be critical about the results that have occurred in recent years.  Myself and others can be both at the same time.  However, you cannot wrap your head around the idea that someone can be both.  You insist, and it is frankly getting to the point of being BS that you can't understand this, that if we are not rattling swords and demanding immediate removals, we must be burying our heads in the sand fans that just cheer mindlessly from our seats and don't care about the score of the game.  Enough of that already.

EDIT: slufan13, sorry that this post seemed so directly pointed at you.  I don't want to change it, because the sentiment remains true, but it should have been more so directed at a larger group.

9 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

This post illustrates the problem we are having.  It is not, at all, black and white like you just posted.  I am a loyal fan that will support the team no matter what.  I am also someone who wants better for our program and has the ability to be critical about the results that have occurred in recent years.  Myself and others can be both at the same time.  However, you cannot wrap your head around the idea that someone can be both.  You insist, and it is frankly getting to the point of being BS that you can't understand this, that if we are not rattling swords and demanding immediate removals, we must be burying our heads in the sand fans that just cheer mindlessly from our seats and don't care about the score of the game.  Enough of that already.

EDIT: slufan13, sorry that this post seemed so directly pointed at you.  I don't want to change it, because the sentiment remains true, but it should have been more so directed at a larger group.

Surely you can see that your point applies to the other side too, though?   I acknowledge that certain fans want to be positive about the team at all times, even if they are not happy with the results. I even respect it, and I can see how the frequent negativity directed mainly at Ford and May would get tiresome. But on the other side of the coin, those of us who have frequently been “negative” are mainly doing so not because we think we aren’t being heard, but because it is critically important for the program’s decision makers to continually understand the fans’ displeasure.  SLU fans don’t boo at the games. This is our outlet to say “We are not okay with where this program is headed and we demand change.”

I think we all know that important people read this board. I understand that players probably do too (which is why I try, even if I sometimes fail, to keep the criticism to Ford and May).   

We don’t think that nobody is hearing us, or that those who don’t complain are happy with the direction of the program. And we certainly do have better things to do (@ Travis).  But we are not willing to risk radio silence on the main Billiken forum being interpreted by the decision makers as fan apathy.  If they think the fans don’t care, they have no reason (or at least no urgency) to make an expensive, but necessary change.  I’m personally not willing to risk that, so will continue to point out Ford and May’s inadequacies.  But we do hear you. 

dlarry likes this

8 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Surely you can see that your point applies to the other side too, though?   I acknowledge that certain fans want to be positive about the team at all times, even if they are not happy with the results. I even respect it, and I can see how the frequent negativity directed mainly at Ford and May would get tiresome. But on the other side of the coin, those of us who have frequently been “negative” are mainly doing so not because we think we aren’t being heard, but because it is critically important for the program’s decision makers to continually understand the fans’ displeasure.  SLU fans don’t boo at the games. This is our outlet to say “We are not okay with where this program is headed and we demand change.”

I think we all know that important people read this board. I understand that players probably do too (which is why I try, even if I sometimes fail, to keep the criticism to Ford and May).   

We don’t think that nobody is hearing us, or that those who don’t complain are happy with the direction of the program. And we certainly do have better things to do (@ Travis).  But we are not willing to risk radio silence on the main Billiken forum being interpreted by the decision makers as fan apathy.  If they think the fans don’t care, they have no reason (or at least no urgency) to make an expensive, but necessary change.  I’m personally not willing to risk that, so will continue to point out Ford and May’s inadequacies.  But we do hear you. 

nm