GDT: SLU v. Dartmouth

SluSignGuy

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Why is it ridiculous?   Both aspects are true.   I understand you enjoyed the selfish showoff passes I'll take the lesser turnovers 

You hate Collins. We get it. That's fine, you can have your own opinion.

To say he is "bigger and faster" than Collins is factually untrue and preposterous. Let's check their stats after Medley is done and compare if you want.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This team is at best a collection of situational role players.  Frankly, there isn’t a starter-level talent player on this team.  Jimerson? Off the bench shooter.  Hargrove? Off the bench energy guy.  Dalger?  Off the bench fourth forward.  Meadows?  Andre Jones Jr.  Medley? Freshman learner.  Hughes?  Thames?  Zhang?  Talent that shrinks as roles expand.

The real issue is who stocked this talent (Ford) and who (Ford) returns to what he knows in the weave, the half court walk up game and no press (Ford).  This ass-hat is done.

JMM28 and Schasz like this

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Why is it ridiculous?   Both aspects are true.   I understand you enjoyed the selfish showoff passes I'll take the lesser turnovers 

We beat Dartmouth at home by one point and this board finds a way to get some Yuri bashing in. I love this place. 

majerus mojo likes this

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

It was bad. Absolutely. But punishment should not be putting in a guy getting torched for the next 30 min 

When Bruce and van Bussel can't get minutes on a roster this small, it makes me really wonder why they would be here. If they can't play on this lineup they will never be good enough to play.

What happened to medley and Thames in the last 10 minutes?  How does Ford forget to sub players, play fast, and run an offense in every second half of close games?  He’s probably disappointed he couldn’t get his trite huff-n-puff technical at the end of the game

billiken_roy likes this

10 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

This team is at best a collection of situational role players.  Frankly, there isn’t a starter-level talent player on this team.  Jimerson? Off the bench shooter.  Hargrove? Off the bench energy guy.  Dalger?  Off the bench fourth forward.  Meadows?  Andre Jones Jr.  Medley? Freshman learner.  Hughes?  Thames?  Zhang?  Talent that shrinks as roles expand.

The real issue is who stocked this talent (Ford) and who (Ford) returns to what he knows in the weave, the half court walk up game and no press (Ford).  This ass-hat is done.

I am not trying to fight with you but what game did you watch? I don’t remember any weaves (almost every team weaves at some point even Duke) .We continually trapped and pressed at the half court line. I do agree with the lack of talent but he is trying to press and he has changed defense’s more this year than ever before. 

22 minutes ago, Soderball said:

To say he is "bigger and faster" than Collins is factually untrue and preposterous. Let's check their stats after Medley is done and compare if you want.

Yuri: zero tournament appearances. 

I betcha Cian will be able to match that no problem. 

10 minutes ago, Soderball said:

When Bruce and van Bussel can't get minutes on a roster this small, it makes me really wonder why they would be here. If they can't play on this lineup they will never be good enough to play.

Because they were projects . All three including abou were projects, hoping that one could develop behind Brad who is the clear starter.

Bruce has potential. Hes the only project center we’ve had who I actually care to hold onto.

as for now. Bruce does a lot of little things that won’t get picked up. tHJ gets picked on. Teams try and attack the paint and it works . It doesn’t happen as easily with Bruce in. I’m not saying Bruce is amazing, but he makes the team better. Just like Cian pushing tempo and in for MM makes the team better 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Because they were projects . All three including abou were projects, hoping that one could develop behind Brad who is the clear starter.

Bruce has potential. Hes the only project center we’ve had who I actually care to hold onto.

as for now. Bruce does a lot of little things that won’t get picked up. tHJ gets picked on. Teams try and attack the paint and it works . It doesn’t happen as easily with Bruce in. I’m not saying Bruce is amazing, but he makes the team better. Just like Cian pushing tempo and in for MM makes the team better 

Why are we loaded with projects? Let someone else develop players and waste roster space. Transfer in guys who are developed.

If you've got someone really special they will be at least able to see the floor right away. Rob Loe was raw, but he was able to play and see the floor WHILE developing.

This stuff is bad. This is Jim Crews roster with loads of stiffs on the bench all over again.

Edit: just as a footnote I agree with you regarding Bruce. I think Ford is making further personnel mistakes by not playing him. Let him show what he can do and von Brussels too. If Ford brought them here they should be able to play and he should stand by his recruiting. As in all things I blame CTF. Things certainly can't get worse, anyway.

28 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Reread.  I said he is as big.  Not bigger.  And he is faster.  Makes less turnovers and is no where close to as selfish.

2 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Why are we loaded with projects? Let someone else develop players and waste roster space. Transfer in guys who are developed.

If you've got someone really special they will be at least able to see the floor right away. Rob Loe was raw, but he was able to play and see the floor WHILE developing.

This stuff is bad. This is Jim Crews roster with loads of stiffs on the bench all over again.

Oh I’m not defending bringing in projects. That was dumb, unless you have a ready starter - which we never did . 
but I really think Bruce could be a 2 year starter here. 

30 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

We beat Dartmouth at home by one point and this board finds a way to get some Yuri bashing in. I love this place. 

It was more a defense of medley.

SLU_Lax likes this

3 hours ago, Soderball said:

Edit: just as a footnote I agree with you regarding Bruce. I think Ford is making further personnel mistakes by not playing him. Let him show what he can do and von Brussels too. If Ford brought them here they should be able to play and he should stand by his recruiting. As in all things I blame CTF. Things certainly can't get worse, anyway.

Because you can’t recruit when everyone knows you’re on the flaming hot seat/about to get fired. And so Travis assembled a roster of projects and at least has the “it’s a rebuilding year!” excuse when he wins 9 games this year. 

Bruce could be a really good player. Unfortunately the coach here isn’t very good at developing players. 

billiken_roy likes this

9 hours ago, Taj79 said:

We did press for a some of the game.

On the strength of last night’s game, Dartmouth moved up from #315 to #303. What did SLU get for its 1 point win? A move from #153 to #168.  To further toss some gasoline on the fire, there are only 3 A10 teams ranked lower than that, Rhodey-#193, Fordham-#196, and LaSalle-#208. Yes, Kenpom rates us the #12 ranked team in the 15 team A10. Time for me to throw up.

I think most of us will agree Ford’s greatest asset is his recruiting. He is the best recruiter we have had since Romar and is probably Romar’s equal in that aspect. NIL may have eliminated, and at least substantially diminished that asset.This season he has to coach this lesser talented team up. If he can’t, why keep him?

9 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

I think most of us will agree Ford’s greatest asset is his recruiting. NIL may have eliminated, and at least substantially diminished that asset.

I think that is a concern many folks have and probably emphasizes to the money folks that they now have a part in this. In no way am I excusing Ford and his staff for putting together this roster (fans were told in the spring that it was a successful season and we were well positioned to attack the portal, but then when they failed to deliver it was implied we weren’t), but when the decision is made to move on from Ford, the money folks will need to also ensure that our NIL is competitive to make the program enticing for the next head coach. Glad we avoided disaster last night, but the next 10 days is likely big for determining how much time I spend following this team this winter.

11 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Just watched the replay. Everytime I rag on GibJim, he starts doing good stuff. Gonna keep that up.

Otherwise, without Parker, there just isn’t enough talent on the roster. Looks like they play hard, but not enough shooters, height, quickness, or one on one skill.

Bottom line, expecting a big number in the L column.